Your Land is my Land

/ Your Land is my Land #391  
One thing I've learned from numerous seminars is that courts are not often worried about minor differences and such. For example, say a lot is suppose to be 100 feet wide and you find two property corners 100.10 feet apart. The corners still hold and the distance is off a little bit. This also holds true with something like a fence. If you set a fence post on the line, yes part of it is going to be on the neighbors land, although a small amount. Is this trespassing? Of course not.

You set part of your fence post on my land, without my permission.... It will be gone as soon as I notice it... You do not own the line between your neighbor... it is common land... One speck over that, I own.

/ Your Land is my Land #392  
You set part of your fence post on my land, without my permission.... It will be gone as soon as I notice it... You do not own the line between your neighbor... it is common land... One speck over that, I own.
One speck huh, what a lovely neighbor..

/ Your Land is my Land #393  
One speck huh, what a lovely neighbor..
:thumbsup: The next surveyor might find the corner is .4 feet off... Then he is guilty of trespassing, as well as the original offense of destruction of private property.
Yet again, I'm thankful for the good neighbors which I have.

/ Your Land is my Land #394  
I know RIGHT where every one of my 200 or so "corners" is!

It helps that when you trace out the survey calls, the property line lines up along the creek bottoms, etc.

J&GFarm.jpg

/ Your Land is my Land #395  
Back in 1966 my parents bought a new house in a subdivision. Somehow it came to light that the builder had actually sold some of the adjacent and existing property owners land. Maybe six feet or so. There was a dispute and the adjacent owner became so riled, he just yanked out the stakes on his land. The Police were called.

I will never forget how that Cop told my Father that the punishment (on the books at the time) for such an offense was HANGING!

Anyway, the builder had gone broke, and my parents were just SOL in the matter.

When I was a kid, the cops were called to a house just down the block. We all rode our bikes down to see what the hoopla was about. Two neighbors were arguing over who owned a rock that bordered their properties.

The cop finally got sick of the yelling, picked up the rock and put it in his trunk. Turned to the neighbors and said; "It's my rock now."

/ Your Land is my Land #396  
well, that's one way to get arrested.. but, at least you'll get free room and boarding, although a bit uncomfortable.. try to work in the kitchen, at least you'll get access to better food there..

/ Your Land is my Land #397  
I was told that we have in Washington what is called a boundary line adjustment process. Where we can reconfigure property boundaries (within reason) with lesser review and approvals. I believe it was intended to solve situations like those in this thread if there is a better boundary line. An example might be where a well got drilled on the wrong side of the line in a corner or the property and the owner of that land gives up that area in exchange for an equivalent amount of land at the other end of the line (make it jog or angle).

My father gave my brothers and me parcels on the place we grew up on. We do not really like his choice of boundary lines and a surveyor thinks we can apply to adjust the parcel lines as long as we meet some requirements and all agree. If the county still has that process we might look into it. We would avoid the development review process and costs.

/ Your Land is my Land #398  
One thing I've learned from numerous seminars is that courts are not often worried about minor differences and such. For example, say a lot is suppose to be 100 feet wide and you find two property corners 100.10 feet apart. The corners still hold and the distance is off a little bit. This also holds true with something like a fence. If you set a fence post on the line, yes part of it is going to be on the neighbors land, although a small amount. Is this trespassing? Of course not.

Worked for a short time for a surveyor who had a lot of business doing lot surveys in an established subdivision, all of the lot corners were half inch iron pipe plugged with wood with a hub tack in the wood. He would get his bearings and distances from the plat map then go and check the corners to see if they were correct. This rather **** individual had me adjusting the existing corners, most of the time about the width of the hub tack.
I thought it was ridiculous then and after a career in survey and mapping I know now that it was not the right thing to be doing.

/ Your Land is my Land #399  
I was told that we have in Washington what is called a boundary line adjustment process. Where we can reconfigure property boundaries (within reason) with lesser review and approvals. I believe it was intended to solve situations like those in this thread if there is a better boundary line. An example might be where a well got drilled on the wrong side of the line in a corner or the property and the owner of that land gives up that area in exchange for an equivalent amount of land at the other end of the line (make it jog or angle).

My father gave my brothers and me parcels on the place we grew up on. We do not really like his choice of boundary lines and a surveyor thinks we can apply to adjust the parcel lines as long as we meet some requirements and all agree. If the county still has that process we might look into it. We would avoid the development review process and costs.

That requires amicable neighbors and a little common sense, which are even more important than the proverbial "good fences." The lot which my family camp is on was part of a subdivision established back in 19 fiftysomething. Somehow our neighbor build his addition several feet onto our property, and since he also owned the lot in back of us, he worked out a trade with my father. While this was happening though it was determined that the first pin in the subdivision was set in the wrong spot and all of the subsequent pins were also off by several feet. They still did the swap so that there would be no question of ownership later on; yet if my father had been a jerk about it we would have gotten nothing but hard feelings.

/ Your Land is my Land #400  
Good neighbors are truly a blessing. I have always strived to be that good neighbor.