Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,161  
Standing in a hardware store today (finally open for walk-in again), waiting to pay, noticed a bottle of straight 30 oil near the cash. Flipped it over to read the back, and noticed an SP designation on it.

Apparently I missed that memo..... this happened a while back. I'll blame it on my large stash of oil I keep (y); I haven't bought any for a while.

Anyway..... just FYI for oil nerds..... sounds like they were addressing some issues with GDI motors.... none in the gen world that I know of, but some 411 for your road-vehicles....

Everything You Need to Know About GF-6 and API SP Motor Oil Standards.

For you South Park fans...... I chuckled about the Canadian connection to SO (Not !).

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,163  
Well it wasn’t a maintenance run.
Power went out about 11 am. Power company said power would come on 11 pm tomorrow. So dragged out the generator. She fired up on the first crank of the electric start. Two hours later power was on.

#5,164  
Well it wasn’t a maintenance run.
Power went out about 11 am. Power company said power would come on 11 pm tomorrow. So dragged out the generator. She fired up on the first crank of the electric start. Two hours later power was on.
90+% error..... good thing it went that direction and not the other way (y)

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,165  
90+% error..... good thing it went that direction and not the other way (y)

Rgds, D.
I figure if I had not fired up the generator it would have taken them the full 36 hrs to get power back on.

#5,166  
I figure if I had not fired up the generator it would have taken them the full 36 hrs to get power back on.
Roger That.... Murph never takes a nanosecond off....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,167  
6/29/2021, 6pm-8pm amidst sweltering heat and humidity along with an awesome thunder storm, our power went out. 20hp Honda powered Porter Cable H1000-ISW 10kw/19.5k surge generator fired right up with electric start (I jog it every weekend). Powered the entire house, plus the 2T central air unit easily. Luckily, the AC just kicked on and stayed on, as that's the primary draw on start-up amperage. Still need to get one of those Hyper Engineering Sure Start units, and I'm toying with the idea of putting a VFD on my air handler.

6/29/2021, 11pm-1:30am, another outage following a trailing storm. Again, ran no problem.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me shed some light (no pun intended) on potentially installing a VFD on my air handler? Worthwhile? It's a 220v motor, I can't remember the HP rating on it but I can look later.

I'm currently, (heh, man, I'm all over these puns today, eh?) looking for a good deal on the Sure Start unit. Best I've found so far is $225.

#5,168  
6/29/2021, 6pm-8pm amidst sweltering heat and humidity along with an awesome thunder storm, our power went out. 20hp Honda powered Porter Cable H1000-ISW 10kw/19.5k surge generator fired right up with electric start (I jog it every weekend). Powered the entire house, plus the 2T central air unit easily. Luckily, the AC just kicked on and stayed on, as that's the primary draw on start-up amperage. Still need to get one of those Hyper Engineering Sure Start units, and I'm toying with the idea of putting a VFD on my air handler.

6/29/2021, 11pm-1:30am, another outage following a trailing storm. Again, ran no problem.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me shed some light (no pun intended) on potentially installing a VFD on my air handler? Worthwhile? It's a 220v motor, I can't remember the HP rating on it but I can look later.

I'm currently, (heh, man, I'm all over these puns today, eh?) looking for a good deal on the Sure Start unit. Best I've found so far is $225.
How pricey (cents/kwh) is your line power Shaeff ?

I know (indirectly thru my HVAC contractor neighbour) that big commercial/industrial applications have gone to VFDs, esp. for anything near continuous duty applications, but I don't know if the #'s would pencil out in favour of a 2T application.....

A few people have bought those Hyper units, but my lousy memory doesn't recall the last round of #'s..... then again, these days, price history doesn't necessarily mean much....

Nice gen ya have there !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,169  
Took out the JD AC-G8010S-E Subaru powered 404cc on sunday . Fueled it , keep it dry . I always keep it ready to go . My batt's dead . Gave it 3 yank's fired rite up . I have had this thing goin on near 15 years , low hrs though . Only have ran it in a couple canes and power outages , and power some corded tools here and there . To me it's been a fantastic unit . I could see it "outliving my old arsh " ! Still looks good after all these years . I don't keep it out of my site . BTW so far have not need to use it because of current "Elsa " .

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 70
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,170  

the 16/32 hyper unit runs about $245 including shipping at alot of places. havnt seen it much cheaper. if you found one at 225 including shipping jump at it.

ive installed quite a few of them. there a little bit confusing, but instructions are good. i believe there may even be a youtube video out there on install. they make a tremendous difference in ease of starting, but they need several start cycles to train the system.

ive had many ac units that absolutely would not start on a generator start and run just fine. on my own unit the ac installer could not get the compressor to fire off under utility power. its a new 4 ton unit. we thought it may have been over charged, but i added the hyper unit ant it runs great now. no more dimming lights. the generator can hardly know its turned on.

i have absolutely no working knowledge on VFD's for air handlers. ive installed them on wells and large paint booths in the past. but those were major start up loads. i wouldnt think an air handler would be much of an issue. and most units 10 yo and newer are dc drive fans i believe.... but i may be mistaking on that