Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,741  
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,742  
those things work great...you only need to wrap wire around one of the incoming main wires. very easy to install.
Yep, I put one on my breaker box last spring. Had a power outage soon after, turned it on when I switched the breakers for generator power. Heard it loud and clear when the power came back on a couple of hours later.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,743  
Saw a nice 7500i inverter generator (6500/7500)on a food truck today. Pretty quiet compared to a non inverter I saw yesterday.
It has a 120/240v 50A 14-50R, but can’t put that out by itself, but is parallel capable.

Not dual fuel, $2500

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,745  
Saw a nice 7500i inverter generator (6500/7500)on a food truck today. Pretty quiet compared to a non inverter I saw yesterday.
It has a 120/240v 50A 14-50R, but can’t put that out by itself, but is parallel capable.

Not dual fuel, $2500
I thought those units actually went in series.
I have seen a few that were actually 120/240 volt units.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,746  
Likely louder, and is higher wattage, but this generac injected unit caught my eye re. gasoline only models:

Rgds, D.
Dave, I would love to know who makes that fuel injected engine.

I spent almost 200 bucks extra to get the fuel injected engine on my Ariens snow blower, and it uses a proprietary
battery just for fuel injection system, 9.6 volts, incompatible with everything, runs fuel pump, and must be manually charged.
You have to take the front panel off just to get to it.

I hope they use a different system on the gen. Why in the world would they use a battery other than 12V? It's just dumb to have two
batteries on the machine.

when the battery is charged, the engine is flawless. Starts and just hums at idle. Rheostat throttle, no cables.
If i had to do it again, I would buy the big EGO blower.

might be a while til we have electric motors powering our generators........................... ;)

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,747  
Interesting points d..... I'll quote Thoreau's famous line once in a while.... your post reminds me of that truism.....

Weird setup on that blower.... 9.6v ???? What did they do, stack up coin-cell batteries ?

I've gotten way too used to automotive FI.... you are reminding me to take a much closer look at How It's Implemented on these small generator applications.

IIRC, Honda makes it much more obvious on their carb'd generators when 12v charging is on-board (to the point of making the DC available externally), but I had to dig through the manual for that Generac FI to find "Running the generator will charge the battery" <- I'd say Generac needs to review their material a bit better; IMO, that is a key selling point.....

Briggs (at least the older stuff) had a schematic included in their manuals..... that's what I looked for last night in the G manual, but no joy....

I'd expect a solid offering from Generac, for one of their first FI portables...... Fault Table shows 28 different codes, including two different Temperature faults....... hopefully indicative of a thorough development/test program - but it's also a reminder of how far behind we are leaving Walden.....

9.6v..... still scratching my head on that one....... Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,748  
Dave, I misspoke. 7.2V equally ?????? And yes there is a separate black box dumb charger than comes with it.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,749  
I honestly don't know if my gen charges the battery when it's running. One would ass-ume so.
But I don't care, I put my smart charger on it at least three times a year and make sure it's fully charged, desulphated, etc.
Smart chargers are the best; that little black box can't have one quarter the brains my Nuco charger has.

Older lady friend bought a dual fuel gen like mine, I think a Wen, on my recommendation and my house present next time is a
little 1amp Nuco genius charger. She can't hand start that big engine, no way. That battery has to work.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,750  
Older lady friend bought a dual fuel gen like mine, I think a Wen, on my recommendation and my house present next time is a
little 1amp Nuco genius charger. She can't hand start that big engine, no way. That battery has to work.
Much (most?) of the time on basic portable carb'd generators, I'd expect no DC charging-while-running.

I'm one of these crazy people that reads Manuals......My larger Briggs (my only Estart) expects to be trickle-charged all the time, so that is what I did, using the factory wall-wart.

You normally wouldn't run a snow-blower continuously for days, so I could perhaps tolerate manual charging re. an FI injected engine there, but I'd expect/want on-board DC charging for a FI generator - it would be a pain otherwise, on something you need for extended-duty emergencies.

Rgds, D.