Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,841  
52 years ago I took electronics 101 in college, affectionately known as Shocks For Jocks. I was no jock but had always liked following stereo equipment,
and later owned a Radio Shack franchise where I could sell anything I wanted. Sold a zillion battery testers, simply voltage driven not all that useful meters. We all know you need to put a load on it.
Shocks fer Jocks.... liking that one :cool:

Having worked in electronics, I'm like the mechanic with a beat up car..... most eras of my life, just about anybody else had a better stereo than I. Spent some time working with pro sound-reinforment equipment at a young age, so that's a bit like getting used to having a 400hp farm tractor around....

Audiophile addiction..... deep rabbit hole to go down. Wife's uncle dabbled a bit; because of him, a guy he worked with got the bug.... ended up basing the design of his new house primarily around upper-end Klipsch speakers.... the mortgage was due more to the sound system, than the house !

Rgds, D.

#5,842  
One of the first things I bought was a commercial battery tester... money well spent.
With your fleet is one enough ?

(Not insulting your mtce practices, just thinking of the scale and geographic diversity...)

Rgds, D.

#5,843  
I have 3 UpS units with bad batteries right now. Those batteries don’t last long.
Yeah.... there's the thing......

One back-back-burner option I may consider is going to a large UPS designed for external battery banks. I don't know the contractual timing, but I suspect that some get retired from major data-centres at a relatively young age. If I can find one at the right price, I'll start with a smaller battery bank (something like deep-cycle Group 31), and scale it up if/when desired.....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,844  
The last battery backup industrial system i installed for the state of idaho cost in the neighborhood of $80,000 for equip & batteries. An APC Symmetra scalable design. They will use it until its toast.

what happened on the old one was as the batteries mature and wear out, they had a tendency to smoke out the building. After the 3rd or 4th time that happened, they pulled the entire thing and trashed it. Was replaced with similar new system. I know i wouldn't want that old unit installed in my building Even if it was free.

#5,845  
Being a monopoly, govts have the luxury of no meaningful penalty for failure..... taking equipment out to it's end-limit isn't really an option for commercial data centres.

Obviously, no industrial power system should have that happen...... deficient hardware, sloppy installation, badly performed or skipped maintenance can all be factors. Does illustrate the value of a dedicated external battery shed though.....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,846  
With your fleet is one enough ?

(Not insulting your mtce practices, just thinking of the scale and geographic diversity...)

Rgds, D.
I was 16 working at the parts store... it was a major expense working for $2 an hour but quality that has lasted.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,847  
The last battery backup industrial system i installed for the state of idaho cost in the neighborhood of $80,000 for equip & batteries. An APC Symmetra scalable design. They will use it until its toast.

what happened on the old one was as the batteries mature and wear out, they had a tendency to smoke out the building. After the 3rd or 4th time that happened, they pulled the entire thing and trashed it. Was replaced with similar new system. I know i wouldn't want that old unit installed in my building Even if it was free.
Had a UPS go bad... entire hospital on the weekend wreaked...

The manufacturer replaced it way past warranty and sent a call tag for failure analysis.

Again way past warranty but documented battery swap every 24 months.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,848  
Hmmm, now i have to go install another generator replacement motor. Not sure what retirement means.

3552839F-D407-4515-B251-D313BD449F59.jpeg

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,849  
Last September retired neighbors with medical needs reached out to Generac to quote a whole house system.

One year to the week the estimator came out… neighbors said he spent a lot of time asking questions and sitewalk.

The gas line may be too small for the does everything genset.

It will be two weeks tomorrow and no bid… estimator said some units have quite a wait list.

In the meantime I help them with their EU 3000i Honda… very nice portable and one pull start and easy on fuel…

Generator for oxygen concentrator and some lights etc…

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,850  
Actually, generac has gotten their backlog down to only a week or so on most units. Liquid cooled are still a ways out though.

the engine in above post was on a truck same day i ordered it.