Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,731  
We just completed construction and final move in, on our new home. We have a chunk of land, and are pretty remote. I opted for a Generac 26kw genset, and a 1,000 gal propane tank (buried). I have a gas fireplace in the great room, gas on demand tankless water heater and a gas range.

The genset "exercises" each week, and is all controlled via my Generac ap. So far, the Genset has been awesome! We've had two power failures due to storms recently, the Genset never missed a beat.

I'm watching the maintenance schedule closely.
In SC you must have a lot of a/c and that does draw the juice.
I had three hvac units on my NC home that struggled with a Generac 21kw.
Glad you went larger if you have multiple hvacs. Lot less light flickering.

just open that cover once in a while and make sure no critters have gotten in

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,732  
In SC you must have a lot of a/c and that does draw the juice.
I had three hvac units on my NC home that struggled with a Generac 21kw.
Glad you went larger if you have multiple hvacs. Lot less light flickering.

just open that cover once in a while and make sure no critters have gotten in
I have a 5 ton unit with a 5 ton air handler in the attic. My house is partitioned into 3 zones, with three separate thermostats. It's a moderate 2500 square feet, brand new construction and I went overboard with the insulation. It is a single story farm style home, with the Master Suite on the garage side (huge 3 car garage with full insulation), a great room / kitchen (all open area) and the two guest rooms on the other side of the house. I can partition those three zones as needed. When we installed the 26kw Generac, we load tested it, and it was able to handle all the electrical load without overloading it. My electrician was on point! :)

We have it run through two different 200A transfer switches, and it definitely works like a champ! We got lucky, planning ahead. So far, we've had two power outages since we moved in late February of this year. In a protracted situation, I'm fairly confident that I can make the propane last. We keep it topped off... and the house does a fantastic job of staying cool. Very efficient... well worth the cash outlay.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,733  
They make Soft Start systems that cut ac starting loads down by up to 60%. This helps stop light dimming when ac units start up. They also really help loads on generators. And i dont mean chepo hard start units.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,734  
I'm an electrical engineer, so while I lack the practical experience of your BIL, I can back what he's saying with good theory. The efficiency of a three-phase motor remains pretty flat (and pretty good) down to below 50% of rated load. So, if your compressor is creating a load of at least 7 hp, the 15 hp and 10 hp motor will have similar current draw when driving that load. Current is linearly proportional to load, when efficiency remains flat.

However, if you were spinning that compressor on a 10 hp motor at half voltage, then perhaps it requires less than 7 hp, at which the efficiency begins to drop on the 15 hp motor, causing it to draw more current than a 10 hp motor.

View attachment 871638
Interesting question 90.

Even more than pics, we like curves and datapoints.... for this type of answer. Thanks Winter.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,735  
Thank you for confirming this.
It’s good to know I’m not being wasteful, I’m currently paying $0.32/kw here in Massachusetts’s & while my monthly bill isn’t huge costs add up.
Primary use for air is blowing my equipment off after mowing with a 3/8 blowgun made with a 3/8 ball valve and a 4 foot length of 3/8 brake tubing as an air gun.
To minimize pressure drop I use 3/8 pressure washer fittings on the hoses. If additional length is needed I can use pressure washer hoses. It’s also very effective blowing snow off my vehicles and equipment before bringing them into shop.
During the summer I open both doors put on an N95 mask, earmuffs & safety glasses and blow all the nooks & cranny’s out.
Not sure of the CFM but the tank is 80 gallons and it will pump up from zero to 200 psi in 171 seconds.
Lots of knowledge out there in generator land thanks to all those that participate in the dialogue.

Thanks
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,736  
Knowing the range of things you build 90, you likely have done this already.....

A great way to upgrade most pressure-washer hoses is to use good quality hydraulic line - may not be worth it, for a home unit that only gets used once or 3 times a year, but hydraulic stands up better in a service shop, vs. many off-shelf pressure washer hoses.

Downside may be stiffer line....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,737  
I actually inherited a couple hydraulic hoses with pressure washer fittings & they are heavy.
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,738  
Should probably run mine before the severe weather this evening...

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,739  
My sweet little Honda isn't anymore...

Storing it with stable in the garage where temps always 55-65 no issues.

Keeping it in the service van were temps swing 50 degrees or more maybe accelerated the ethanol gas going bad/moisture?

The Honda repair mechanic said ethanol has been great for business...

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,740  
My sweet little Honda isn't anymore...

The Honda repair mechanic said ethanol has been great for business...
Just need to replace the little carburetor and good to go?