Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,661  
OK cool, try this:

20220628_083346.jpg

Oil pressure lamp is optional, added purely for diagnostic purposes.
You want relay common contact connected to 28V and the Normally Closed (NC) contact is connected to your pin 12 running input to the controller.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,662  
The oil pressure switch I have has 2 terminals one is for a pressure gauge and the other is a switch to ground that opens at 30 psi so it looks like I need to use a relay to make this work????
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,663  
Got the oil and fuel filter at NAPA for the Isuzu this afternoon. Plan to change coolant tomorrow and then oil after running it from refilling with coolant. Got a leftover gallon of Coolgard II from JD. Got a Kubota now.

The fuel filter MIGHT be okay that I bought 9 years ago, but wasn't sure about the seal. Figure the 9 year old air filter is fine.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,664  
Edit: You will probably need to increase the run hold time a bit to allow for the oil pressure to come up.

20220628_091727.jpg

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,665  
I disagree with the approach to use the oil pressure switch for this. you are removing a safety. by using the pressure switch in this fashion, how do we know if the loss of oil pressure is from mechanical failure or a shut down? by a loss of oil pressure, it allows the system to restart ( this can be disastrous if the engine is truly without oil pressure, due to mechanical failure.), the oil pressure switch should be on some kind of timer where in 5 seconds oil pressure is not achieved, safeties should engage and the system shut down.

instead of a diode, something like this can be used, as to not break the heavy gauge wiring

https://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics...6e1bba15cd93f&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,666  
While waiting for a revised wiring schematic I wired in a 12v relay using the oil pressure switch in the circuit, it was not happy kept showing a fault.
So just experimenting I connected the relay as follows
black #86 to ground
White #85 to fuel
Yellow #87 to run sense #12
Blue #30 to fuel
I don’t know why but I works as it should. Started & stopped it several times worked perfect.
I manually started it with the key and the SCP controller detected it was started with the switch.
Thoughts!!
90cummins

Attachments

• 942AA15D-4295-40EF-8C4B-3A8539FD02D1.jpeg
    942AA15D-4295-40EF-8C4B-3A8539FD02D1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 86E1C8E9-E5A5-4F86-B73B-BA2EC4FACAE2.jpeg
    86E1C8E9-E5A5-4F86-B73B-BA2EC4FACAE2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • D4E8969B-20AF-4851-80F9-3FBD350EE359.jpeg
    D4E8969B-20AF-4851-80F9-3FBD350EE359.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,667  
Note; red wire was not used.
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,668  
although I have no idea how "fuel" is wired, you pretty much bypassed the generator running check. its simply basing the signal on the fuel pump control, not whether the generator is running or not.

your also confusing by saying 12v relay? do you mean 24?

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,669  
Feeling like I won the lottery!!
So I thought it would be a good idea to see it would operate properly in the auto mode.
I programmed it to start at 25.5 volts and shutdown at 28 volts.
I plugged in a 1500 watt heater & watched the voltage drop to 25.5 volts & 30 seconds later it started & when the voltage hit 28v it shut down.
I’m not done but I have a system that now works as I envisioned.
I need to redo the wiring so it looks more presentable.
The oil pressure switch needs to be connected to protect the engine then I’ll have some peace of mind.
Having the forum’s experts for guidance & encouragement certainly gave me that push I needed to get to this point.

Thank you!!
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,670  
although I have no idea how "fuel" is wired, you pretty much bypassed the generator running check. its simply basing the signal on the fuel pump control, not whether the generator is running or not.

your also confusing by saying 12v relay? do you mean 24?
The fuel solenoid is 12v so I needed to use a 12v relay for the run signal. You are correct the controls do not know if the engine is running that is something we need to pursue fortunately the Yanmar starts like a first gen Cummins 1 turn & it’s running when it’s warm out. The oil pressure switch will be added later.
At least I have a system that works!
90cummins