Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,851  
It's been a while, but I finally got around to pulling out the Champion 7k dual fuel at the tractor shed. The battery was too low to turn it over but the pull start worked fine once I remembered to open the valve on the propane bottle. :rolleyes: It has only been used with propane since the whole house unit was installed in 2016 & I stopped stockpiling gas for it (now I keep a half dozen propane jugs stashed).

I put a 1500 watt heater on each leg & let it run for an hour. No problems other than the low battery.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,852  
Had a UPS go bad... entire hospital on the weekend wreaked...

The manufacturer replaced it way past warranty and sent a call tag for failure analysis.

Again way past warranty but documented battery swap every 24 months.
You'd want fresh batteries anyway, but that could well have factored into their decision..... unless it's an already-known defect, any responsible OEM should be doing FA on events like you describe.....

Rgds, D.

#5,853  
Hmmm, now i have to go install another generator replacement motor. Not sure what retirement means.
You beat me to it.....

People like me are getting scared.... you are making retirement look like a lot of work ! :cool:

Rgds, D.

#5,854  
It's been a while, but I finally got around to pulling out the Champion 7k dual fuel at the tractor shed. The battery was too low to turn it over but the pull start worked fine once I remembered to open the valve on the propane bottle. :rolleyes: It has only been used with propane since the whole house unit was installed in 2016 & I stopped stockpiling gas for it (now I keep a half dozen propane jugs stashed).

I put a 1500 watt heater on each leg & let it run for an hour. No problems other than the low battery.
Power in-shed, or does the 7k self-charge its battery ?

Backup to the backup.... Never a Bad Thing.....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,855  
No line power in the shed, 100 watt solar panel & deep cycle battery for interior led lights & outside led motion lights. The 7k gets used with welder & compressor when needed.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,856  
What failed on the engine?
Is there a common failure mode?
My BIL brought up a Generac 22+- kw engine for me to check out. It blew oil all over the interior of the cabinet but was still running.
Would like me to check it out & rebuild as a spare if feasible.
I recall reading somewhere that very cold ambient temps can cause this to happen when the breather tube freezes.
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,857  
Not sure what occurred on this unit. it had real bad knocking sound in engine, bad compression one side. Ill tear into the old one after i get it back to the shop to see what happened. Rest of generator good shape.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,858  
Fired up the Onan/Cummins 4000 in the RV getting ready for camping this weekend. Started fine, ran fine. Stut it down & then got around to checking the oil. Opened the dipstick fill port & out came flowing our WAY over full. Didn't smell like gas as much as I'd have expected, but thats the only fluid it could be. Or the last guys that serviced it managed to fill it higher than the fill port.

Carb had a couple drips on it so I'm assuming it's leaking inside & out. Gambled on a $35 Chinese carb off Amazon. The OEM carbs are not rebuildable & cost $100 or so. Will see if I made a good call or not tomorow.

20210530_092124.jpg

#5,859  
Fired up the Onan/Cummins 4000 in the RV getting ready for camping this weekend. Started fine, ran fine. Stut it down & then got around to checking the oil. Opened the dipstick fill port & out came flowing our WAY over full. Didn't smell like gas as much as I'd have expected, but thats the only fluid it could be. Or the last guys that serviced it managed to fill it higher than the fill port.

Carb had a couple drips on it so I'm assuming it's leaking inside & out. Gambled on a $35 Chinese carb off Amazon. The OEM carbs are not rebuildable & cost $100 or so. Will see if I made a good call or not tomorow.

View attachment 759653
Keep us posted..... many people have had good luck with those ChinaCarb deals.....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,860  
I got a generac quote today. They have unit in stock. Don’t think I’m going to get it, but was curious on price.