Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,991  
Lately no maintenance running. We've had 3 outages this month. Last night with wind and wet snow took out the grid for another 5 hours.
20221216_181919.jpg

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,992  
Very much a How To Survive Winter picture Rusty ! (y)

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,993  
Three kids with families coming for lunch & gift exchange and the power is out @8AM. Glad the 22kw standby is running with no problems.

ETA: The generator is currently handling a 5 ton heat pump, oven, stovetop, 2 countertop ovens, crock pot, etc. as well as the usual house items.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,994  
Out again, crazy winds and heavy rain from this current storm.
20221223_110245.jpg
20221223_110316.jpg

Genny's been busy lately.
I knew this storm was coming and checked the fuel a few days ago, there's no guage but I have a marked up dipstick. I've got 96+/- hours of fuel in the tank @ .5g/hour.
I'm surprised the power made it until now.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,997  
Nothing like a bad Winter storm, to appreciate a reliable generator !

Knock wood, power has been solid here...... significant wind today, with quite a mess of snow.

Heard on the news..... all 3 bridges @ Niagara Falls were closed today, with 50 to 100 car pileups on the major highways....

Not a fun travel day.....

Be Well, Stay Safe, and enjoy the Holidays !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,998  
Just for the record, power has "blinked" several times with the wind still getting it.
But now the powers out again, I opened my eyes while washing my hair/face in the shower.... had a little "freak out" when I had pitch black when I opened my eyes😆. The water still had pressure and the little battery radio was still going, weird but funny.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,999  
Glad to hear your back up and running!

Hot water heaters are usually on a 30 amp
breaker 4500 watts and our well draws
approx 12 amps 1 1/2 hp deep well.

We haven't had any snow so far but the
temps have been approx 9 degrees.
It would be nice to have a snow covering
here then would be able to burn some brush!

willy

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,000  
Out again, crazy winds and heavy rain from this current storm. View attachment 775914View attachment 775916
Genny's been busy lately.
I knew this storm was coming and checked the fuel a few days ago, there's no guage but I have a marked up dipstick. I've got 96+/- hours of fuel in the tank @ .5g/hour.
I'm surprised the power made it until now.

Nice setup!

I've been considering a "generator shack" or even an outdoor diesel genny but around here, we get taxed on all permanent outdoor installations.

Right now, I'm using this 12.5KW Baumalight PTO model:

Baumalight-tractor-driven-generator-for-home-owner.jpg

I'm getting to the age where setting it up is a bigger chore than it used to be. I always have an implement on the tractor which has to be removed and then I have to roll out & install the PTO genny. It's a real pain to do for the frequent short term outages we get around here. I wouldn't mind installing a permanent whole house generator if it weren't for the tax issue.

Lately, I've been looking at "portable" diesel powered models like this Kubota Lowboy model with caster wheels:

Screen-Shot-2019-09-30-at-12.16.05-PM.png

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...b8tr1YXmCgnKyvfFUmwaAulnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That way, I could reuse the wiring for the PTO generator I have now. The caster wheel option would let me move it around the barn rather than dedicate permanent floor space which is limited.