Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,071  
The inverter is from Schneider Electric Xantrex XW4024
24 volt input 120/240 volt output pure sine 4000 watt.
It has a Gen assist feature where it will assist a small ac generator if the programmed load is exceeded.
Very useful for those with small generators.
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,072  
The inverter is from Schneider Electric Xantrex XW4024
24 volt input 120/240 volt output pure sine 4000 watt.
It has a Gen assist feature where it will assist a small ac generator if the programmed load is exceeded.
Very useful for those with small generators.
90cummins
I'd be interested to see a comparison using the honda inverter generator feeding the AC input to the inverter.
Also your inverter supports AC coupled solar soooo in an emergency it should be possible to get your solar city panels to feed the system AC Coupling Application Note | Schneider Electric USA

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,073  
I’ve considered buying the solar charge unit from Schneider electric but cost is a but high.
With the efficiency of my system & the fuel I have available I can’t justify the cost.
My nephew works for the power company & they have very large 1.2 volt wet cell batteries that they replace periodically. If I can get my hands on 28 volts worth of those I’d have a system with some real capacity.
I could then run the generators at max capacity (which is most efficient) and better for diesels.
If I hold get to one or two starts a day or less that would be huge.
I have two 28 v gens that I believe I could run at the same time to push up to 8kw’s of power into the batteries.
Correct me if I’m wrong.
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,074  
Ours just ran about 3 minutes ago. The light on the side of the shop went from red to green.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,075  
What’s red to green mean??

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,076  
My 35KW diesel powered genset sits next to the shop and I have a light array wired to it so I can tell when it's exercising or has assumed the power as it's too far from the house to actually hear it run. Plumbed into my 500 gallon bulk diesel farm tank.

Runs everything including the shop. Single phase and 3 phase 220.

Probably should have bought a 40KW actually.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,077  
I’ve considered buying the solar charge unit from Schneider electric but cost is a but high.
With the efficiency of my system & the fuel I have available I can’t justify the cost.
My nephew works for the power company & they have very large 1.2 volt wet cell batteries that they replace periodically. If I can get my hands on 28 volts worth of those I’d have a system with some real capacity.
I could then run the generators at max capacity (which is most efficient) and better for diesels.
If I hold get to one or two starts a day or less that would be huge.
I have two 28 v gens that I believe I could run at the same time to push up to 8kw’s of power into the batteries.
Correct me if I’m wrong.
90cummins
So the inverter can provide a "grid" for the solar city AC system to synchronise to, no charge controller needed.
The other one I was thinking is that you could feed the input of the inverter using your small honda with an autotransformer to give you 120/240.

Incoming cyclone generator preparation report: Two smoke shoe box didn't want to run, crud in the fuel filter bowl and carb plus mason wasp nest in the air intake. Running ok again after cleaning. Used a heatgun as a test load.

Wind is just starting to freshen here, we have strong wind and heavy rain warnings. Nothing like what's going on up north: Attached image shows outages for one of the networks north of Auckland city.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 10.59.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 10.59.07 AM.png
    437.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,078  
Patrick said
So the inverter can provide a "grid" for the solar city AC system to synchronise to, no charge controller needed.
The other one I was thinking is that you could feed the input of the inverter using your small honda with an autotransformer to give you 120/240.

My little Honda is 120v 1.5kw.
You’re out of my league Patrick i don’t understand (autotransformer)

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,079  
I have 3 phase 120/208 in my shop which is separate from my house.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,080  
My little Honda is 120v 1.5kw.
You’re out of my league Patrick i don’t understand (autotransformer)
Something like this:
20230213_135423.jpg

The autotransformer is configured as a step up transformer to take 120V in and output 120-0-120V, would connect to the generator AC input terminals on the inverter.

These are good autotransformer application notes for inverter and generator systems: 2. Introduction