Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,361  
Can only imagine the nightmare to back it up. Especially with that long truck
It's not any worse than a haywagon (and it will probably be better as it can turn to 90 degrees), it looks like it's got an 8-10' tongue. If it's like some I have seen, it may have a latch to let you extend the tongue even more.

Aaron Z

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,362  
A month or so ago I got a 19 F150 4x4 x cab with the 3.5 EB, today was the first time I had a loaded trailer attached to it, 18 ft 10k tilt trailer, ..probably 2k lbs empty, and the Kubota RTV loaded up on it, ...maybe another 1200 lbs.. it barely knew it was pulling anything..I was actually surprised.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,363  
I failed to get a picture due to the stress but we had to fetch our 2010 F-150 with the 22' tilt equipment trailer using my son's 2002 quad cab Ram 1500 late Sunday evening. We were 50 miles from home to pick up some larger items at Harbor Freight when I smelled the front brakes and could feel the dragging when coming from a stop. The calipers had failed to retract pads completely so we had to have the calipers replaced today. Now the truck is back to normal. The 3 months of being parked at the body shop I am sure was a factor. These came with steel plungers vs the white ones in the old calipers. If they were OEM they had 212K miles on them anyway.

Because of a shutter when taking off while cutting hard I expected the body shop did not use the Ford Limited Slip additive so today the brake shop removed enough rear end lube to install a bottle of the Ford Limited Slip additive and it is already much smoother after 80 miles today and some lock to lock turning forward and backwards in a large gravel parking lot.

Had to get creativity to load the F-150 crew cab on the 22' tilt trailer with only the rear 18' tilting. The front axle weight would start bringing down the front of the trailer bed 18" before rear axle got to the bed. Last year I had when to Lowes and got a 12' 2"x10" cut into 4 3' pieces for a good base for the tongue jack and my son put them in the bed of his truck when he hitched to the trailer yesterday. I did the driving and he did the directing. He used 2 on each side at the pivot point due to a catch edge the front tires were going to hit. He used one on each side at the rear lip so rear axle weight could prevent the front of the trailer from starting to tilt down because the truck wheel base is so long.

So loading this long wheel base is not a one man job plus there is only 1" of clearance between the fixed fenders but it is doable. The F-150 rode well at 60 MPH on interstate I-24 and I-69 behind the Dodge but not as well as the F-150 with the 11.2K tow package rating. Not driving it the 50 miles home with dragging brakes saved the pads and brake rotors from needing to be replaced I expect. It was cool not to have to call a tow truck.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,364  
Had to get creativity to load the F-150 crew cab on the 22' tilt trailer with only the rear 18' tilting. The front axle weight would start bringing down the front of the trailer bed 18" before rear axle got to the bed.

Sounds like you guys did a good job solving this issue. Many hydraulically dampened tilt trailers have a valve to lock the bed up which allows you to get all 4 tires on the deck and then tilt it down gently.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,365  
Sounds like you guys did a good job solving this issue. Many hydraulically dampened tilt trailers have a valve to lock the bed up which allows you to get all 4 tires on the deck and then tilt it down gently.

The valving is a good idea but ours seems to just have a restriction valve in line. I hope to never again to have to haul my tow vehicle but at least now we know how to load a crew cab PU. We do have a tall mechanical jack from HF and I have seen those used to keep a trailer tilted when loading. The one inch to spare between the trailer fenders is touchy too.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,366  
I put my new Gatormade gooseneck to work hauling materials and the 7040. Its 25+5 with 8k axles and 17.5" tires.

Attachments

• 20190710_235541186_iOS.jpg
    20190710_235541186_iOS.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_7270.JPG
    IMG_7270.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 199
  • 20190710_224239388_iOS.jpg
    20190710_224239388_iOS.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 164
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #3,367  
I needed a one man show, do-it-all truck & trailer setup so I just took delivery on a new completely custom Midsota FFRD for my good old M59 to ride on in style.
The FFRD has a 12' x 8' dump box with dropdown sides, 8' x 8' flatbed in front, pass through gates, 3 way rear gate, 9.5' ramps, wireless remote, receiver in neck and on rear, basket in neck, tool box, etc.
I am very impressed with how it works with 10k axles and super single 18ply 17.5's.
I pull it with an '18 Ram C&C dually converted to super single 19.5's. All the super single tires exceed axle capacity by at least 10% for safety margin.
It all works great together without having to worry about picking up rocks in between duals and a narrower track to fit through tighter roads & bridges out in the rural Rockies of MT.
Here are some pics:
Ram Midsota M59 gravel loaded.jpgRam Midsota M59 unloaded side.jpgRam Midsota M59 Frt Gates unloaded.jpgRam Midsota M59 unloaded.jpgRam Midsota M59 Rear.jpgRam Midsota M59 Truck Defender.jpgRam Midsota M59 loaded Ramps.jpgRam Midsota M59 loaded.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,368  
Nice trailer Gatorguy.
AZTim Sweet setup! Ive thought of getting an F450 and going with super singles. Also been looking at Midsota Trailers for a couple years. Didn't kow you could get 10k axles with singles. I have a 20k gooseneck flat with duals and it beats me to death empty. It doesn't look like it but do you have hydraulic jacks? We don't have a dealer close for that brand. Can you give us a rough idea on cost, $14k?
Just looked at prices. Maybe closer to $18k.

truck&e50.jpg

Last edited:
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #3,369  
Nice trailer Gatorguy.
AZTim Sweet setup! Ive thought of getting an F450 and going with super singles. Also been looking at Midsota Trailers for a couple years. Didn't kow you could get 10k axles with singles. I have a 20k gooseneck flat with duals and it beats me to death empty. It doesn't look like it but do you have hydraulic jacks? We don't have a dealer close for that brand. Can you give us a rough idea on cost, $14k?

View attachment 618351

I think the horrible ride is due to the suspension not the duels. I have serious doubts about high rated single wheels riding any better. I want a F-450 but I haven’t found anything I like for anything close to what I bought my topkick for so I probably won’t have a 450 for a while. On the bright side the Topkick rides so bad I don’t notice the trailer bouncing anymore. Hydraulic jacks would be nice. I usually set my pintle hook off with the loader.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,370  
Nice trailer Gatorguy.

View attachment 618351
Thanks, I am pretty excited about it! I went with a 3500 dually for quite a few reasons:
I tow way more than I haul weight wise.
It has it has a 14k gvw and 31k GCVW (Max Tow options), although the consumer grade pickups can be had with up to 38k GCVW with a lighter, less heavy built frame than the C&C, I was looking for longevity and a crewcab 9.5' bed combo with 34" frame rail spacing like my old 90's GM 3500HD.
I rarely put more than 5k on my pickup bed, so saving weight and gearing by sticking with a 3500 plus not having the wider 4500/5500 fender flares was going to look cleaner for the planned super single mod.
The rear axle is good for 10k, so either 245 or 265/70R19.5's can be had to meet or exceed that weight with single drive tires.
I wanted 3.73 axle ratio, but with max tow 4.10 is the fastest, so with putting the 10% larger 265's I gained a little ground clearance, broke even on tire load capacity, shaved about 160 lbs of unsprung dually lugnut/spacer/wheel weight & basically lowered the 4.10's back down to 3.73 effective.
3500 is cheaper & lighter, yet comes with same powertrain and a much nicer ride, I test drove a 4500 and 5500 before purchase and the heavier ones rode like garbage when empty and gearing options were not to my liking.
Plus, a single wheel setup stays in it's own tracks during winter yet seems to attract less attention from the specially authorized highway robbery types out in farm country where dual tires or triple axles are the quickly noticed easy targets for taxation without representation.

For the Midsota, jack legs are two speed manual and the high speed option sure makes short work of the cranking compared to my two older flatbeds with single speed jacks. I debated on the hydraulic option, but I couldn't see how an extra grand was worth it when I really need all the exercise I can get to stay healthy, and I don't need electricity to run them. The super single option is not standard on an FFRD, but that was another custom request they honored, including the 18 ply 6005 lbs rated tires. I towed this trailer over 150 miles empty to bring it home across small state highways and I-90 and it towed like a dream, straight, smooth and with no noticeable bounce unless I hit a jolting bump in the road that shouldn't exist anyway. It is much better than my old 40' PJ tandem dually that beat the snot out of me and the truck. I traded that out for the 30' H&H 14k which was about half as bad, but this 20' Midsota is in a whole different class for how it rides, and it tows a little nicer than the old 20' tilt aluminum bed gooseneck too.

The options, plus freight out to Idaho to my closest dealer added up a lot of extra nickel & dimes... so a little under 21k for this one, however I live in a no sales tax state which saved enough to pay for some of my extra options.
Options I forgot to mention: solar charger on the neck, stake pockets at 4 corner posts of box with the front two being used for the rollup tarp not seen in the pics, custom ramp storage under bed with longer than normal ramps, rear stabilizer jacks for equipment loading, double acting hydraulic lift, rubrails/stake pockets for flatbed, 2 extra D-Rings, spare tire rack under the flatbed center, etc, plus the stuff I already mentioned. Pretty much every option except the hydraulic jack legs.
Considering Midsota was the only trailer manufacturer of over 15 I called willing to build what I wanted, I figured a little extra to get the right tool for the money was worth it. Plus, the Rugby scissor hoist does its job no problem.
The the stiff tube frame has a 5 year warranty on it and they use PPG paint that will hold up much better than flaky powder coating for winter, just like the paint on my 11 year old tractor has. There is even a handy indicator module in the neck center mounted tool box that lets you see the lights blinking and measures battery voltage or brake amperage.

I think the horrible ride is due to the suspension not the duels. I have serious doubts about high rated single wheels riding any better. I want a F-450 but I haven稚 found anything I like for anything close to what I bought my topkick for so I probably won稚 have a 450 for a while. On the bright side the Topkick rides so bad I don稚 notice the trailer bouncing anymore. Hydraulic jacks would be nice. I usually set my pintle hook off with the loader.

I have been running high rated single wheels for over 10 years now and would not go back on anything under an 11k rear axle. The light truck tires with heavy loads would last me 30-50k and after over 70k miles of heavy hauling with my old 3500HD with super singles, all of the tires still have over 50% tread left. They ride a tiny bit stiffer due to stronger sidewalls, but they catch way less bumps on the rear with half the tire track. They corner way better and do not squat nearly as much under load. While I am not a fan of super singles on a semi tractor, they are awesome on trailers and class III trucks. If you watch what you drive over, they are also tougher in the rough stuff. I have had one puncture at a scrap metal yard and never on the road with zero blowouts. Heavy truck tires are just built to work. Eventually when I have funds I will replace these Vision cast aluminum wheels with hub piloted Boar 19.5 wheels, but I already have too much into the whole truck trailer investment this year.

I looked hard at an older GM topkick/kodiak, IH, Freightliner, Ford F600/800 etc for a big medium duty rig I could put a dump bed on and haul the tractor, but they are super heavy, 2wd and turn like a bus in the length I would need, plus get awful mileage/ride when empty. At least if my trailer gets stuck I can unhook it and go get the tractor to pull it out, and when I don't need it I can commute with the Ram for other things without mandatory CDL headaches/insurance silliness as I use it for farm use. I have a CDL, don't want the mess in my personal life. I would rather just have properly spec'd safe to use equipment and enjoy the simple life! :D
Dually to Super Single Ram conversion.jpgDually Super Single Frt Weight savings.jpg