Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,371  
I’m a lightweight being I just got my first scut, mines easy, 2013 F150 4x4 5.0 crew cab with a 14 foot steel trailer, it is all. Need being I will not be moving it around very much.
When I upgrade in a few years I will upgrade trailer to a 20 foot dual axle and then use my sons Ram 2500 12 valve Cummings turbo pickup to tow longer distances hahaha he does not know that.
Here is my newbie starter setup just getting home from dealer.
8D6B6099-F1C5-48A6-9679-E524B9E4ED3A.jpeg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,372  
The Topkick rides awful and gets awful mileage but doesn’t turn like a bus. I’ll cut the trailer into the truck going forward if you don’t ease out of the turn. It’ll out turn my Chevy one ton which has coil spring on the front. The HDs have 19.5 tires. Don’t they wear a lot better than pickup tires?

Last edited:
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #3,373  
What does it cost to convert a dually to a SS? My ton isn’t far from needing back tires. It’s got steel wheels now and I’d be happy with steel wheels again.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,374  
The Topkick rides awful and gets awful mileage but doesn稚 turn like a bus. I値l cut the trailer into the truck going forward if you don稚 ease out of the turn. It値l out turn my Chevy one ton which has coil spring on the front. The HDs have 19.5 tires. Don稚 they wear a lot better than pickup tires?
Indeed they do. This picture of my steers is what is left after buying them 10% used as takeoffs for $100 each and then putting over 70k miles on them towing my 30' & 40' goosenecks over half of those miles. I put a cummins in that old girl 10 years back and it is still a good old truck that can get 15-16mpg all by itself and 9-12 towing. The new Ram with all the emissions garbage on it does not do that well with the same weight, but it does ride nicer and have more room/features.
HDand30HH.jpgHDsteersAfter10years.jpg

What does it cost to convert a dually to a SS? My ton isn稚 far from needing back tires. It痴 got steel wheels now and I壇 be happy with steel wheels again.
It can get spendy if you buy them all new from your local shop at full pop, upwards of $4000.
You will need 4 tires, 4 wheels and if your current wheels are hub piloted you will need self centering lugnuts to replace the old flat flanged ones, unless you get Boar hub piloted wheels as your replacements.
I kept an eye on craigslist and bought the 4 tires and Vision aluminum wheels you see on my ram with just over 50% tread for $1200 all in, so about the cost of three new tires. I will run those for a while until I make enough to buy some newer rubber, and possibly Boar wheels to go with them.
The year before I scored a set of the same wheels with 75% tread 225's on them for $1000 for a K20 suburban project, so you just have to set some money aside and be ready to pounce on the best deal.
If you can not find used local, you can watch for Summit Racing to have a good coupon sale you can get a discount on new Vision wheels right to your door. I bought a set of 4 for an older trailer for under $700 delivered.
If you check your local tire shop that handles commercial tires, they often have a row of 225/70R19.5 or 245/70R19.5 sitting out in their used stacks/racks for cheap. Just keep an eye on the load ratings which range from around 3500 all the way up to 6000lbs depending on what it is. I think I find 245/70R19.5 to be my favorite size right in the middle of the 3 that will fit a Vision wheel. Don't be afraid of used as even at half tread, a 19.5 should outlast a new light truck tire on a pickup.

Old20AlumGN.jpg

This little 5 foot wide combo comes in pretty handy in the tight places where the full size stuff won't go, especially with the 3way dump box on the Pronovost 510/3s! ;) The little RTV will even dump it too by disconnecting the snowplow/dumpbed hoses!
RTVandPronovost5103s.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,375  
That’s what I wish I had of done with my HD. I didn’t realize at the time that I couldn’t buy a light medium duty truck that I like otherwise I’d have probably spent more money on the project. I started fixing up my HD to move my backhoe. I put a carburetored 454 in to replace the blown up 6.5 because I had one for free. I bought a Topkick before I finished it. Now it’s kinda pointless. It rides nearly as bad as the Topkick, gets nearly as bad a mileage, and hauls half as much so it’s pretty pointless to keep a 3rd truck. I’ve got a bucket truck body for it that I’ll probably put back on. I hate the 4l80e transmissions. Mine is one of the few with a 5 speed. IMG_7354.JPGIMG_7355.JPG

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,376  
I put a cummins in that old girl 10 years back and it is still a good old truck that can get 15-16mpg all by itself and 9-12 towing.

No mention of the (apparent) 4wd conversion, or at least front axle swap? The good old lock out hubs gave it away.:thumbsup:
Nice trailer and truck, well thought out.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,377  
Yeah, mine has a NV4500HD 5 speed too, that makes the Cummins swap easier. I have thought about throwing an old hydraulic disc brake bus axle under an HD to replace the Dana 80. The axle is the weakest link on an HD if it is the double frame version. It's a tough old truck that only weighs 9000 lbs as you see it with everything on the bed and loaded storage boxes. A similarly built topkick I would imagine to be at least a ton heavier from what I have seen so far. That weight savings could mean additional payload for a dump truck setup... I still might do it one of these days. I have a 3 door extended cab HD and an extra dana 70 front stashed away for just such a project. ;)

The 4wd conversion was done when it was ordered new by Sprint and sent to Monroe Truck for a Dana 70 front axle prior to clearing final assembly inspection back at the Janesville GM plant. It gives me a blueprint for making another one.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,378  
My topkick weighs 11,800 but that leaves 7 tons to reach the CDL limit of 26,000. Setting that aside it’s good for 32000. A Topkick and a HD are in different leagues but the HD is still a hoss of a pickup truck.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,379  
I needed a one man show, do-it-all truck & trailer setup so I just took delivery on a new completely custom Midsota FFRD for my good old M59 to ride on in style.
I am very impressed with how it works with 10k axles and super single 18ply 17.5's.
I pull it with an '18 Ram C&C dually converted to super single 19.5's. ....
View attachment 618343

Wow, I didn't know... this setup was really even an option. Required lots of research, investment and hard work, no doubt. But talk about a kick arse hauling rig and trailer..... I'm speechless. Nicely done!

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,380  
I just saw a F450 with a super single conversion. The look is so much better than a dulley and I read it actually has 10% more capacity than a regular dually truck.

I didn't get a photo of the conversion, but after searching the web, found lots of stuff on it. This is my favorite...

kimper_large_2_924bb2a8663edcbc70ee3998605ebbf3a3d2f776.jpg