Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,091  
Let’s see your tractors GN hitch. Want to get one this summer.

It's just an old hay spear. I had cut the spike off and used a piece of it for the top of my gin poles on a truck. I welded a plate on top to put a gn ball and a low center plate for a hitch ball. It is on one of these tractors at all times. Plus I have a wrecker sling that goes on to move vehicles with. It's been used a lot sincec1995. We have three tandem dual trailers like that. Built two of them at the shop. Other is an Eager Beaver pintle trailer. 12k axles and G rated tires. We have square tube pockets we set log bunks into and used to haul logs. Many times I was in a reg cab 4x4 3/4 ton and busted 50,000 lbs. Another fellow we know got caught. 7000 dollars of tickets. So we kinda quit hauling that much ourselves.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,092  
Was going to buy one of the HLA or other brands. Might be using tractor with a GN dump trailer.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,093  
That's a nice truck, and it looks to be in awesome shape, keep it as long as you can. 😂

I had an '03 1500HD a while back and I absolutely loved it; I'd bought it off Craigslist sight unseen and it ended up being a rust bucket. That said, it ran great, and is arguably the best truck I've ever owned. The only thing that could top it is the '18 RAM 1500 I've got right now, and if I could trade it for an essentially brand new 03-04 15HD I probably would.

I loved that truck.

View attachment 745855

A branch fell on it two days after I bought it, because why not.
I like it for the most part, the cab corners are starting to get a little rust, and it's 2WD. I live in northern ohio, and could really use 4WD in the winter, but it works for now. Only 140k miles, so it's probably got atleast another 100k as long as the body holds together.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,094  
A little tongue heavy, always have to play with it as it changes if I have the loader on, mower, etc.
trailer.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,095  
Hauled my Mahindra home from the farm to get the brakes repaired again. Right side is locking up and not wanting to let go. My local dealer (who really is customer oriented) replaced brakes over the winter and they worked great until a couple weeks ago.

90 miles one way. I usually get 19 mpg with just the truck. It dropped to 12.7 mpg with the empty trailer going down. Surprisingly it was 11.7 mpg coming back loaded. Trailer weighs 2K, tractor with front and rear weights weighs over 5K. Easy trip. Trailer is a 10K Gatormade. Truck is a Nissan Titan.

IMG_3794_jpg-2359661.JPG
Nice setup! How long have you been towing with the Nissan? I recently got an 08 long bed, King Cab, with the Big Tow package for my business. Any things I should be looking for?

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,096  
I had an '03 1500HD a while back and I absolutely loved it; I'd bought it off Craigslist sight unseen and it ended up being a rust bucket. That said, it ran great, and is arguably the best truck I've ever owned. The only thing that could top it is the '18 RAM 1500 I've got right now, and if I could trade it for an essentially brand new 03-04 15HD I probably would.

I loved that truck.

View attachment 745855
When I was determined and ready to buy my newer/better pickup truck, I looked hard and wide for a 1500HD. I really liked the configuration, capabilities, and practicality. But GM didn't make/sell all that many of them, and I couldn't find one anywhere near Michigan with low miles or no rust.

So I allowed myself to search for 6.0L 2500HDs also (since it's basically exactly the same), and eventually a one-owner '03, low mile example originally from New Mexico ended up in my lap. One of the best decisions I've ever made, to buy this sucker.

Pic from yesterday after an extensive detail, to make up for her sitting outside all winter long. 😬

smw54wN.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,097  
Another run to the stump dump with the PJ 7K dumper. 1000 lb. of trees, branches, sticks & weeds (per the ticket). The wife has continued her spring cleaning around the place ...
PXL_20220518_124354131CB.jpg

The contents are packed in so tight they keep their "box" shape after being unloaded.

Last edited:
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #4,098  
Another run to the stump dump with the PJ 7K dumper. 1000 lb. of trees, branches, sticks & weeds (per the ticket). The wife has continued her spring cleaning around the place ...
View attachment 746728

The contents are packed in so tight they keep their "box" shape after being unloaded.
Same trailer I have. I really like mine.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,099  
I recently picked up 2 GMT800 2500 Suburbans for towing duty. I have 4 kids so being able to tow anything I would realistically need to along with my whole family was the primary goal. The dark grey is an 8.1/4L85E/3.73 and the silver is a 6.0/4L80E/4.10 with Quadrasteer. The 8.1 has a max trailer weight of 10,100 and GCWR of 17,000. The Quadrasteer has a max trailer weight of 9,300 pounds and 16,000 GCWR. I got the 8.1 from Seattle and had it shipped (almost no rust), the silver from Houston (absolutely no rust!) and I flew out and drove it home. I've only "test" towed my in law's ~7000 pound travel trailer around town but the 8.1 clearly wasn't working as hard as the 6.0. The 8.1 is significantly quieter in the cab as well. Both towed the trailer just fine though. I'm leaning towards selling off the Quadrasteer but it's so darned nice driving that one around town and parking lots. It literally has the turning radius of a Civic.

PXL_20220516_235843827.jpg
PXL_20220520_150013147.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,100  
Dang, both of those 'burbans look super nice.

Tough choice. I think I would go 6.0L and quadrasteer, though. The 8.1 is likely to use 15-20% more fuel to do the same exact driving (though, as you note, tow a bit more leisurely). Those cab clearance and rear fender flare lights are boss, too.

Whats the difference betwen a 4L80 and 4L85?