Yup, another pallet fork thread by a newb :-)

/ Yup, another pallet fork thread by a newb :-) #1  

Panik

Gold Member
NW Ga - somewhere near that time zone thingy
Tractor
Kubota bx2360
Yes, I know, another fork thread. With spring time here I've been looking at needing to move smallish brush piles, rebuild some railroad tie planter beds as well as some other odds and ends. I've been looking pretty hard at the bxpanded clamp on forks and for the work I have in mind they seem like they are a very good value.

In all the threads I've read I have seen little to no complaints about the product. In fact the only issue I've seen so far was a fitment issue due to a change Kubota made in their bucket lips, and Harry resolved things quickly.

Has anyone had any long term wear issues with the clamping mechanism, or with the clamps slipping? If so, is this something that can be resolved by replacing wear parts (springs, etc)? Also has anyone managed to bend or other wise damage their set through abuse?

I do realize that these are are not heavy duty, fixed forks in the sense that they are geared towards the capabilities of a scut and as a result I do expect some compromises in ability. I'm just trying to make sure of what I am getting into prior to making the purchase.

While I'd love to be able to justify the grand or so it would take to get setup with a quick attach system and a dedicated forks and such I'd rather save that expense for some other "toys"/back savers like rear remotes and or a grapple down the road.

One final thing. If anyone has a good close picture of the attachment mechanism I'd be grateful if they would be willing to share.

/ Yup, another pallet fork thread by a newb :-) #2  
You ain't gonna have fun moving brush piles with forks. ask me how I know. Other'n that, I got nothing to say. :)

/ Yup, another pallet fork thread by a newb :-)
Aright I'll bite... What's your experience with moving brush with forks? Are we talking not fun as in "castor oil and character building" unfun or are we talking "dribbling sticks and brush as you try and move a load and eventually throw up you hands in frustration and get a beer" lack of fun?

/ Yup, another pallet fork thread by a newb :-) #4  
I'm sayin' that trying to move brush with forks results in said brush falling off the sides and between the forks, making a mess that you have to pick up twice so yeah "dribbling sticks and brush as you try and move a load and eventually throw up you hands in frustration and get a beer" That's been my experience anyway. Very frustrating. Otherwise I love my forks. I just can't speak to the type of forks you are talking about because mine are landpride quick attach forks.
Dang, now I need a beer.

Gotcha, I understand! Well, there's got to be an affordable solution that is quicker and easier than my current technology: forking everything onto a heavy duty tarp and lashing the bundle it to the FEL when it is full and transporting the whole bundle to the burn pile that way. Usually I'm doing this sometime after dark after the kids have gone to bed and the dogs have been feed. You know your right I think it is beer o'clock. :licking:

In any case, aside from the brush issue, I am still in need of some decent pallet forks for general use. 'Cause while I'm not that old I'm darned certain old enough not to be moving things like railroad ties by hand and well the slave labor (kiddos) are still to young to do it.

/ Yup, another pallet fork thread by a newb :-) #6  
Well it depends some on the brush.. If we are talking green limbs from trees with leaves, they stay on pretty well.. If we are talking dry stick and twigs. Uh not so much. I moved a lot of brush with forks, and it is better than your bucket generally. But my grapple is a lot better.:) With forks you generally need to get off and stack the brush on the forks.. with the grapple you just start grabbing and hauling. You stay in the seat. I have the construction attachments SSQA forks, and before that I has some e-bay special clamp on forks.. any forks are better than no forks, the ssqa forks are bunches better and easier to see what you are doing as well as putting the load much closer to the pins. But you will be able to move some brush, better than using just your bucket with the forks you are looking at..

Man do I wish I could justify a grapple right now however that's cost prohibitive at the moment :(. Well, I could make it happen but I'd be sleeping in the shop and using the bucket as a bed. Out of curiosity are there any QA systems that will work for a BX besides Kubota's proprietary one? I know people have used bob-tach's for the B series but I was under the impression that weight to power combo was about the thinnest margin to be really worth it.

/ Yup, another pallet fork thread by a newb :-) #8  
I have these forks and have moved lots of brush with them. A couple of things I need to mention.

One is I got a set of four, which may help some, though I've never tried just using two to be able to say if it makes a lot of difference.

The other is I usually have somewhat organized piles of brush I'm moving. That is, as I'm cutting I am stacking the brush and branches in piles. Then I can just scoop the piles up and the stuff all lays across the forks pretty good. I'd love to get one of those new grapples from Landpride...

I've had issues with the brackets over time. The clamp part is fine, but the v-bar thing that secures them to the bucket lip can lose their spring or something. I need to write to Harry, as I understand there is a way to make a little adjustment to them to make them snap tightly into place again.

They are really tough and well built. I've lifted loads of logs stacked on them where the loader will barely raise, and it was pretty clear to me I wasn't close to damaging them.

One thing to be aware of. Look at his pictures closely. Because of the way they mount, your bucket is already tipped some when the forks are level. When the bucket is dumped all the way, the fork angle isn't all that steep. I find that I often have to shake the bucket to get brush to dump off.

For use as pallet forks they have been great.

/ Yup, another pallet fork thread by a newb :-) #9  
I'm ASSuming you mean pallet forks.

I bought a pair of clamp ons from Palletfork.com. I (and my son) moved several tons of brush, bamboo and vine.
8x6-g4-forks low.JPG 8x6-g4-using-forks.JPG 8x6-brushpile2.JPG
On occasion for a BIG load I'd lay a 20' chain down perpendicular to where we were going to pile the brush, pile the brush so the chain ran under the middle, throw the chain around it (essentially making it a 5' bundle of sticks) and lift the whole thing. When we cleaned up where there were a lot of short sections we would use a wooden platform called a "pallet".

For about $240 ( w/stabilizer bar) I could not get any grapple, plus I needed pallet forks anyways, and they fit both tractors.
Ideally I would have 2 sets of (QA attachment points, QA grapples and QA pallet forks) and the $5,000 to throw away on them.

But you know what they say about "If wishes were horses"

The streets would be filled with horse dung.

/edit - note the 4,000 lb rated forks are an inch wider than the 1,500 lb rated. Looking at the quality of the build today I should have gone for the $170 1.500 lb forks. I'm pretty sure they would have handled all I needed.

To quote Evan from palletforks.com
The metal is just a little bit thicker on the higher capacity

Last edited:
   / Yup, another pallet fork thread by a newb :-) #10  
Here's what you need. A set of forks with grapple. Titan Attachments sells them as do other companies. About $1225. for 42" forks w/ grapple but serves 2 purposes. I just bought a set of regular QA skid steer style forks and think I'm going to buy a separate thumb (pictured) to attach to either my bucket or forks. Buying my forks and thumb separately costs less than the grapple forks.

Attachments

• grapple forks.JPG
    grapple forks.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Bucket thumb.JPG
    Bucket thumb.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited: