ZTR or Rider?

/ ZTR or Rider? #11  
Wheel weights and at101 tires, agree. I've a $4,500 Ryobi ZT480e. It would mow the acre but does not have the grip. I went skidding down onto the neighbor's grass down our back hill where there's a compound slope, e.g. sideways and down. It climbs like a billy goat, but you have to back down hills to be completely safe.

That Cub Cadet with the steering wheel would be easier to learn how to use it, but I'd be skeptical that it has any more grip than the Ryobi does. You almost need a tracked Altos ZT. Think they're pretty steep.

/ ZTR or Rider? #12  
I run chains on my JD LT180 year around....steep hills are not a problem.

/ ZTR or Rider? #13  
All good ideas guy, thanks. I googled dual wheels for cub cadet 2180 and didn't see anything.
Couple different types, and they probably wont be listed by tractor, but by rim size and/or bolt pattern.

More expensive type, bolt on 2nd tire:

dualspacers.jpg.00ad1c1a9f7e0e485285c891369bab41.jpg

Less expensive, 'clamp' on 2nd tire:

millerspacers.jpg.7201d5b7a85cfda3c14f80ae29d37c7a.jpg

You can also just get spacers to push your current tires out a couple to few inches.

s-l300.jpg

Here's one place to get either: Xtreme Motorworks - Your Headquarters for Custom and Obsolete Cub Cadet and Garden Tractor Parts

/ ZTR or Rider?
Couple different types, and they probably wont be listed by tractor, but by rim size and/or bolt pattern.

More expensive type, bolt on 2nd tire:

dualspacers.jpg.00ad1c1a9f7e0e485285c891369bab41.jpg

Less expensive, 'clamp' on 2nd tire:

millerspacers.jpg.7201d5b7a85cfda3c14f80ae29d37c7a.jpg

You can also just get spacers to push your current tires out a couple to few inches.

s-l300.jpg

Here's one place to get either: Xtreme Motorworks - Your Headquarters for Custom and Obsolete Cub Cadet and Garden Tractor Parts

That's a great source midnite! I am wondering if turning would be any different with dualies and if all four tires would have to match.

/ ZTR or Rider? #15  
The tires would have to match in diameter, but you could use a skinnier wheel and tire as the seconds. Putting the tires farther out does mean the inside tire tends to 'scrub' more on tight turns, so need to watch for that with more aggressive treads. Youtube has lots of dually lawn tractor vids and how to make your own from pipes or old rims.

/ ZTR or Rider? #16  
I highly recommend the Cub Cadet ZTR with steering wheel….if you want to spend the money.

They are a fantastic mower.

Mike

/ ZTR or Rider? #17  
Duals can be a little smaller in diameter can run half inch or more off the ground on pavement. This applies more weight on drive wheels for traction and still provides stability

chains provide best traction but will tear up lawn if you spin

/ ZTR or Rider? #18  
I have no problem going sideways on our 15 degree slope behind the house on the Simplicity Citation XL with a 61" deck. Weight is a plus at 1000lbs. The extra width tires that look like M60's help a lot too. I have a Steiner 420 for slopes and haven't used it since getting this Simplicity. It works just as good with a better cut and much faster at 11mph with full suspension. Good equipment goes a long way to solving problems compared to cheaper equipment.

/ ZTR or Rider? #19  
Stand on Mower will be your best option. I have hills as well...

/ ZTR or Rider? #20  
I just put these tires on my Deere Z900 and LOVE them:

A great compromise between turfs and bar tires. Also they are radial so you can run them at lower psi so they are easy on your turf and give you a smoother ride at the same time.

They are a new design so I haven't seen anyone running them as duals yet but I guess you could try ...