JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #31  
Well, I did try the nozzle first but the angle to the dangle wouldn't let me get a straight shot no matter how much I turned the shaft or pushed., just a greased mess. I wiped everything down and tried the needle adapter. It went beside the ball fine and pumped grease in, problem was only one u joint cap had grease come out it. I went to the back and it wouldn't accept any grease. That's when I figured heck with it... I'm on vacation till Jan so had plenty of time. On a side note,,, With the shaft off. I turned the knuckle a few times variously till grease came out all caps.
The shaft came down super easy. Took front snap ring off, drove pin upward till out. slide drive shaft forward till off splined shaft at rear then pulled off front and lowered. Wasn't that easy to get back on. Few mins turning and cursing till it went up in required spot.. I'm over the a graviton this morning as its a new day, but. If anyone figures out a place on the 2305- post pics. Please. Bill V

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease
You 2305 guys are so fortunate. I'd take a picture of the 2210 setup but all you'd see is a flat steel plate. At least you guys can see the shaft anf if needed, can remove it with little hassle. I'm pretty sure I'd hafta remove my seat, fenders and floorboard assembly to remove my shaft......

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #33  
Dang, I had know idea. (2210). I will never complain about my beloved tractor again. Unless of course I want some implement for it, then the wife will hear how worthless it is without it. :)

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease
Dang, I had know idea. (2210). I will never complain about my beloved tractor again. Unless of course I want some implement for it, then the wife will hear how worthless it is without it. :)

My wife and I were talking yesterday and I once again had to convince her that I could not do the tasks that I do today with just one tractor. It was unavoidable that we had to buy the Kubota M9540..... I think it worked..... Not sure though because she just got quiet..... :cool:

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #35  
Someone once said " the man that dies with the most toys win ". I'm loosing

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #36  
My wife and I were talking yesterday and I once again had to convince her that I could not do the tasks that I do today with just one tractor. It was unavoidable that we had to buy the Kubota M9540..... I think it worked..... Not sure though because she just got quiet..... :cool:

Oh no! Not the dreadful "silent treatment". :eek:

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #37  
Just have to say, that after trying for over a year, I GREASED MY U-JOINTS!!! I officially got my Christmas present early!!! I have a 2210 bought in '05 with 238 hrs. on the clock. Did both joints after grinding down the tip on my grease gun until it almost looked like a needle adapter (which never worked for me, BTW). The front was accomplished by removing that plug as shown by the OP on the 1st page of this thread. I turned the flywheel until you could see the zerk straight towards you, so you have a straight shot with the grease gun. An extension is very helpful here (probably about 6" or so). Will have to pick one up next time I'm at TSC.

Did the rear one the same way. Just turned the flywheel until I could see the zerk pointing downward. Had to bend the whip on the grease gun right at the nipple about 90 degrees to fit the nipple on the zerk. When I fit the nipple on each zerk, the nipple became stuck on both zerks. Took several tries and lots of grease all over the place, but when that nipple locked on & I saw grease coming out of the cups, I just wanted to keep going! Seemed like so much work that when you reach your goal, it's over in under 5 seconds!

One question though. With only 238 hours, I noticed that the steering wheel seemed to vibrate more than I remember. Not in the seat, just while holding the wheel idling at about 1500 rpm. Smoothed right out at around 1700 rpm+. Above that it's like velvet. To those who've had problems, do you think it's just my imagination or a sign of the inevitable?

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #38  
How did you get access to the rear grease fitting? Did you cut a hole?
Thanks, Ken

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #39  
Ken, I didn't cut a hole, although I just might as it would probably make it easier. I just crawled underneath and looked up at the joint right in front of the fan. I turned the flywheel until I could see the zerk facing downward. I then was able to fit the ground down tip of the grease gun onto the zerk by bending the whip about 90 degrees. It's VERY tight on top of that metal plate. Picture the whip of the grease gun lying horizontal on top of that metal plate (from rear to front), then it makes a 90 degree bend upwards towards the joint. I was able to do this by first getting the nipple "kind of" on the zerk at an angle, then reaching in from the other side of the plate, using my fingers to hold the nipple on the zerk while I pushed the whip forward to straighten out the nipple so it was straight on. Kind of confusing trying to write out what I did, as it's easier than it sounds. The extensions and fittings in the following post would work out.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ting/265239-another-2210-u-joint-problem.html

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #40  
I read somewhere on TBN that a Kubota unjoint would work on the JD driveshaft. I took a pic of the part number --#

37410-13722. And sells on Amazon for $33. Just curious if anyone has used this unjoint on the JD 2305 ?