edumacate me on horse power

/ edumacate me on horse power #41  
workinallthetime said:
I didnt say the 366 was a good choice for anything, its really even to heavy for a boat anchor. Ive seen the alspluna tree service trucks blow one engine after another due to the gearing the, the thing is wrapped out at 55 and they run them like that all over the country.
Ya the fuel sender well its all bad except install thats easy. Its one of the few they are not offering just the sensor for, which is what the problem is. The wiper fingers wear off and you get no signal. 250.00 doesnt sound bad for what the rapeist im working for sells them. Its a complete drop in unit and ive done a bunch of them. seems someone in engineering had a late night befor they chose the metal to use on the senders contact surface. dont drop the tank unless you have stuff bolted down in your bed that would be a big pain to remove. we pull beds and its quick.

my first 6.0 had 33's and got about 12 mpg
my second had 20" rims and 50's and gets about 14 (its a deanli and wife drives it now)
my third 6.0 stock wheels duno yet on mpg to soon to tell and i cant keep my foot out of it.
what year 6.6 do you have? i have a bunch of parts for them just no senders

gemini look at gmc dot com the NEW 2007 sierra 6.0 is 367 hp and the new 3/4 ton and up is a 6.2 (gas) dont know the numbers on that one yet. 99 to 06 ya 300 unless you had a denali then you got 335hp and escalape has 345 hp. difference was in the heads and programming. Im sorry you bout a chevy in this town i only buy gmc and never buy from whom i work for.

my happy place is diving into the the dirt with all 4 wheels spinnin

I looked on GMC. com that is interesting that much difference in hp between a chevy and gmc. Do not be sorry for me buying a chevy in Tulsa I got a much better deal on it than I did in Fort Smith, I dont know which dealer you work for but the one that I have dealt with has been pretty good. I do not have them do work on it because of the driving distance but the dealership has treated me well. If you are across the street from Jackie Cooper then that is a real dealership the service they give is totally awesome. Much better than anything else I have ever seen. They had to put a new navigation program on my car and when I got there they had been sent the wrong one from the factory. I mentioned that it was a long drive for nothing and was told that when the correct program got there they would send a flat bed truck for my car and bring it back to tulsa reload the program then bring it back to me. Thats sending a truck on a 4 hour round trip paying the drivers wages and fuel just because they did not have the correct program. That is service.

/ edumacate me on horse power #42  
DieselPower said:
workinallthetime -

4th fuel filter every 10-15k (new gas burners dont have fuel filters)
Can't say I have ever seen any vehicle that did not have a fuel filter. I did work for GM up until a couple of years ago and everything had one then. I don't think I would even want a vehicle without a fuel filter. If it didn't have one I would sure in the heck be installing one.
the General doesn't have a fuel filter anymore, at least not in the traditional sense, what they have is the filter as part of the electric fuel pump and is designed for the expected life of vehicle.

not a normal replacement item anymore

/ edumacate me on horse power #43  
when U read a thread like this one

I quickly remember that it is Winter in the rest of the country.

/ edumacate me on horse power #45  
workinallthetime said:
Im not going to get into this great debate over gas vs diesel or how to define horsepower. I will say get a 10 speed bike and ride up a hill in the highest gear then ride up that hill in the lowest gear. you will understand gearing and power to the ground after that. Power to the ground is all that matters anyway because thats where the work is getting done. My bx23 (23 hp) would not pull a maple tree out of the ground but my 300 hp gmc in reverse (lower gear) and in 4x4 low pulled it out, granted my neighbors thought i was crazy but the tree is gone. I always looked at things like this if you want to go fast get something with lots of hp if you want to work get something with lots of torque. Ill never own a diesel pickup truck and ill never own a gas tractor !!!
just my 2 cents probably not worth 1/2 that to some of ya.

I would compare this conversion to the saying "give me a long enough lever and I can move the world". Give me a bicycle with tall enough gears and enough traction and I can pull out your largest trees. It may take me a month worth of pedaling do to my lack of conditioning.........hummmmm maybe I should beef up my sons pedal tractor and get in shape.

/ edumacate me on horse power #46  
jb, thanks for responding. Its amazing how well suited diesels naturally are to workhorse activities. That phenomenon of torque rise that we talked about, and that some of the recent past tractor ads have been touting, is a good part of the reason. I dont think we hijacked the thread. The nuances of diesel vs gas power delivery are a very important selection factor when deciding on a tractor. I think several have brought this out. Its just lucky for us that you had some real curves that gave abetter talking point.
HP for HP the diesel gives you more area under the HP curve. This makes it easier to use a high % of it more of the time. It is just less rpm sensitive.
Larry

/ edumacate me on horse power
I don't think the thread was hijacked at all. I'd like to thank everyone for responding. I had a decent understanding of the basic but it just seems odd that the HP for our tractors is so low compared to the other motors one encounters. Lot's of interesting discussion and you guys have taken me to a whole new level of confusion:D. Actually some very good technical debate.

/ edumacate me on horse power #48  
This link was posted in the buying forum

Diesel vs Gas

Compares 23 hp Kohler to 23 hp Kubota. Has a dyno curve for both.

jb

/ edumacate me on horse power #49  
Egon said:
Now what gives you that impression Kick??:D :D

mostly because of the length and duration of this thread.

I think most of you are suffereing from PTS. Parked Tractor Syndrome.

been know to cause confusion and mood swings, along with ceaseless debate about trivialities.

/ edumacate me on horse power #50  
I have a friend who has this motto to live after:

"THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR TORQUE"