Buying Advice First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #31  
Here is to hoping they keep the 20 series Good features. heavier castings and axle support, 8 Lugs, double sheer front axle hubs, (with staked nut retained outer stub axle, instead of a circlip), steel fenders and hood, etc.

I hope TYM does not "Improve" on these Branson designs.

Amen. There are quite a few engineering differences in the two.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #32  
I too was impressed with the amount of steel that was in my Branson. The loader support, whereby the majority of the lifting stress was centered, was over an inch thick and 8-10" wide right in front of the cab with full access to the engine area when the FEL was raised.

In 2016 I bought a Branson 2400 from a Branson-TYM dealer. On the lot, adjacent to the Branson was a TYM of the same HP. While the sales guy was working up the paperwork, I was outside and decided to sit on the TYM just to see what it was like.......I paid cash for, and left with the Branson which is what I came to buy since I liked my 2007 Branson 6530.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #33  
In 1982 I started with a brand new Ford 1700 4WD. I think it's 26 engine hp. I have a mile long gravel driveway and 80 acres. It did well for 27 years. That's how long it took to complete the small projects.

Then in 2009 I traded for a brand new Kubota M6040. Now I'm working on the large projects. Both tractor were/are open station. I have a canopy on the Kubota and down outer wear for my winter outings.

There are those times I wish I had a cab. But winding thru my ancient Ponderosa pine would sooner or later trash the cab. Anyhow - from early spring to late fall the weather here in the PNW is fantastic. No cab is needed.

The larger tractor makes driveway maintenance much easier, faster, better and more efficient.

Your tractor should be sized so the most difficult task can be completed it the time you have available. Everything else will fall into place.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #34  
I went by my Grandfather's advice, buy as much HP and you can afford..... I did and at almost 70 I'm glad I listened. I purchased a Branson 4720h for our place. Even w/47hp there have been a couple of times when i could have used a few more horses. :) Not the tractor's fault, just too big a job for it without some good ole fashioned elbow grease. Heck of a tractor in my book.
Just my two cents worth.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #35  
Hi All,

I’ve lurked around on this forum for quite some time, but the realistic possibility of being a tractor owner within the month prompted me to join and get some insight, and hopefully reinforce my thought process.

We moved onto 26 acres nearly three years ago now, but officially bought the house and property last year. Now that we own our little piece of ground, I am in need of my own tractor which leads me to you fine folks. Here are our needs:
  1. We have 3/4 mile long gravel road leading to the house, which despite being a township road is basically private and needs maintaining.
  2. We have a 10 acre field, and a 3 acre field which both need to be maintained. Father-in-law used them occasionally for pasture before he passed, but otherwise simply brush hogged them every year. This practice will continue until I can either pasture it more regularly (we don’t yet have any livestock) or I can put enough into the soil to improve the hay. It’s worth noting that the 3 acre field is very steep. I’m not sure I have the fortitude to brush hog it like my father-in-law did, so tractor stability will come into play.
  3. Ultimately, I would like to get livestock. We’ll likely either get a few horses, or a small beef cow herd, so I’d like a tractor with a loader that can safely move a reasonably sized round bale.
  4. I also want to have the ability to make hay, likely using a square baler, or if able a small round baler.
  5. Finally, I have a ton of small project ideas around the house that a tractor would help with including landscaping, minor dirt work, etc.
Based on that, I’ve made my tractor criteria:

1. 40+ horsepower
  2. 4 wheel drive (we’re in the mountains of PA)
  3. FEL
  4. Cab (this is admittedly a want)
To get those criteria, I cannot justify paying for a Deere or a Kubota. I’m a fan of both and would buy either if I find a deal, but new prices are astronomical and I have yet to find a good deal on a used one. My local Massey dealer is also way too expensive, and I had a very bad experience with the local LS dealer when they came to look at one of my late father-in-law’s tractors that we sold.

We have two TYM dealers within a reasonable drive. I like both and they have led me to the Branson 5520c. (I don’t like the layout of the TYM T’s.) There is an open house at one of the dealerships in two weeks, at which I expect to purchase.

We do have a local kioti dealer and I will check them out before pulling the trigger, but I like the thought of the kukje engine in the Branson with minimal electronics, and I’m partial to red.

My question for you all then, is whether this is a good fit, a good tractor, or if there are better alternatives to consider.

Thanks in advance!

TLDR.

Need to brush hog, maintain gravel road, and lift a round bale on 26 acres. Pick me a better tractor than a Branson 5520c.
Absolutely good choice! I have had several tractors in the 40-65 up range. For the money the 5220c is a great little tractor. I currently have the 5220r with FEL and backhoe. The only update I hope to do is add beet juice to rear tires b/C when the backhoe is off, it's light in the rear end. Also no EPA nonsense to deal with. Hope you find one...

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #36  
I have yet to see anyone with a cab express regret about getting it. But I do wonder if stepping up in size to a comparably priced, but open station Branson 5835 might be a worthwhile tradeoff.

I’m hoping I’ve overestimated my needs with the 5520, but don’t want to shortly replace this tractor because I bought too small.
I have a 3520 - so same size tractor with smaller engine (and too small, so I wish I’d have gotten a more powerful tractor). I find the tractor too light (and underpowered) when doing roadwork.
Trying to understand the work you want/need to do, I think you’d be better off with the 5835. And all I’ve ever heard is that nobody ever regrets buying a larger tractor. I wish I had.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?
I sure appreciate all these responses! What a great forum!

I went and checked out the Kiotis and Mahindras last Friday. I’m comfortable crossing Kioti off the list, but I was impressed by the Mahindra. Fit and finish wasn’t great, but it’s a lot of tractor for the money and seems to be simple and solid. I drove a 5155, which despite the missing cab, outweighs the Branson by a pretty good margin. They also don’t have DPF or DEF, but rather DOC, which I guess is just a catalytic converter. Though touted as not having emissions equipment, I imagine that converter will go bad at some point and is not likely an inexpensive replacement.

I’m trying to balance this tool to manage farm type duties, as well as regular homeowner stuff, such as mulch. I hope that’s not a mistake. The weight of that Mahindra would put a hurting on the lawn trying to do homeowner stuff with it, and bigger would just make that worse. Open house at the dealer with all the Bransons is this coming weekend. Really looking forward to getting the full comparison then.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #38  
The 5155 is physical much larger than a 5520 for sure

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #39  
I sure appreciate all these responses! What a great forum!

I went and checked out the Kiotis and Mahindras last Friday. I’m comfortable crossing Kioti off the list, but I was impressed by the Mahindra. Fit and finish wasn’t great, but it’s a lot of tractor for the money and seems to be simple and solid. I drove a 5155, which despite the missing cab, outweighs the Branson by a pretty good margin. They also don’t have DPF or DEF, but rather DOC, which I guess is just a catalytic converter. Though touted as not having emissions equipment, I imagine that converter will go bad at some point and is not likely an inexpensive replacement.

I’m trying to balance this tool to manage farm type duties, as well as regular homeowner stuff, such as mulch. I hope that’s not a mistake. The weight of that Mahindra would put a hurting on the lawn trying to do homeowner stuff with it, and bigger would just make that worse. Open house at the dealer with all the Bransons is this coming weekend. Really looking forward to getting the full comparison then.
My Branson 25 series weighs 7100 lbs and you're right, weight is a factor for traveling over lawns, doing "homeowner" stuff, etc. Right now our frost is out of the ground and everything is soft and soggy. If I were to drive mine across my lawn in these conditions I would make one heck of a mess. Further, no matter time of year, there is a large portion of my front yard I can't drive over for risk of collapsing my septic drain field. I'll have to wait until everything dries out and hardens up before I tackle a few backyard projects I need to deal with this spring.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #40  
My latest buy is the SSV65 skidsteer I bought from MB Tractor in Maine. It was a rental. They did all of the filter and fluid changes before I got it. You might be able to find a good used tractor from Messicks. I would stay away from the off brand tractors.