Buying Advice First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #41  
My tolerance tanked when I hit 50 years old
I recall one Winter day in Korea when we were sent up to the DMZ in an open jeep (it was considered a hostile fire zone or some such and the no cover was the rule. Indeed I was sent up to photograph the men who had been killed in an ambush while they drove North in the back of a covered vehicle.

On the way out the door, I grabbed a plastic 'garment cover' thing and made a little hole near the top so I could smoke en route. I had a field jacket with a furry hood thing and gloves and was still FMAO - Korea was cold, I was twenty.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #42  
My personal experience with mahindra is not good. Had a 4550 and it blew a head gasket in just a few hundred hours. Got it fixed under warranty then sold it. Within 3 months the new owner called to see if it was still under warranty b/c it was stuck in gear.
They have some design flaws when adapting to colder climates. Just my opinion...

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #43  
Branson, LS, Montana, Mahindra in my area are considered off brands and relatively new to the tractor market. Cheaper in price than Deere, Massey, Kubota. You usually get what you pay for. Service after the purchase should be a strong consideration,

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #44  
I’d say “service” is dealer specific and not brand. A gentleman just posted last week that his local JD dealership won’t look at his new unit under warranty because he bought it at another dealership.
My local TYM dealer ordered the tractor, delivered it and received not a dime until I wrote the check when it was in my barn. At that time they also said the price was $1000 less due to a discount they didn’t apply at the time we agreed on the sales price.
Just this week I needed a filter kit, and they had it at my door three days later, again with no up front payment, just an invoice in the box.
Now, since the tractor has been flawless, I’ve not had to call for service…. So, I guess that’s even better than a good dealer… just a good tractor.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #45  
Hi All,

I’ve lurked around on this forum for quite some time, but the realistic possibility of being a tractor owner within the month prompted me to join and get some insight, and hopefully reinforce my thought process.

We moved onto 26 acres nearly three years ago now, but officially bought the house and property last year. Now that we own our little piece of ground, I am in need of my own tractor which leads me to you fine folks. Here are our needs:
  1. We have 3/4 mile long gravel road leading to the house, which despite being a township road is basically private and needs maintaining.
  2. We have a 10 acre field, and a 3 acre field which both need to be maintained. Father-in-law used them occasionally for pasture before he passed, but otherwise simply brush hogged them every year. This practice will continue until I can either pasture it more regularly (we don’t yet have any livestock) or I can put enough into the soil to improve the hay. It’s worth noting that the 3 acre field is very steep. I’m not sure I have the fortitude to brush hog it like my father-in-law did, so tractor stability will come into play.
  3. Ultimately, I would like to get livestock. We’ll likely either get a few horses, or a small beef cow herd, so I’d like a tractor with a loader that can safely move a reasonably sized round bale.
  4. I also want to have the ability to make hay, likely using a square baler, or if able a small round baler.
  5. Finally, I have a ton of small project ideas around the house that a tractor would help with including landscaping, minor dirt work, etc.
Based on that, I’ve made my tractor criteria:

1. 40+ horsepower
  2. 4 wheel drive (we’re in the mountains of PA)
  3. FEL
  4. Cab (this is admittedly a want)
To get those criteria, I cannot justify paying for a Deere or a Kubota. I’m a fan of both and would buy either if I find a deal, but new prices are astronomical and I have yet to find a good deal on a used one. My local Massey dealer is also way too expensive, and I had a very bad experience with the local LS dealer when they came to look at one of my late father-in-law’s tractors that we sold.

We have two TYM dealers within a reasonable drive. I like both and they have led me to the Branson 5520c. (I don’t like the layout of the TYM T’s.) There is an open house at one of the dealerships in two weeks, at which I expect to purchase.

We do have a local kioti dealer and I will check them out before pulling the trigger, but I like the thought of the kukje engine in the Branson with minimal electronics, and I’m partial to red.

My question for you all then, is whether this is a good fit, a good tractor, or if there are better alternatives to consider.

Thanks in advance!

TLDR.

Need to brush hog, maintain gravel road, and lift a round bale on 26 acres. Pick me a better tractor than a Branson 5520c.
Have a chat with Council re Their road maintenance. Ask local farmers if they would consider share-cropping the land. If you must have a tractor search with someone you know who has experience with equipment. Don't buy equipment you won't need. ie Baler etc. It is late in life to begin Cattle Farming. Leave the sidehills as they are.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?
Well, I pulled the trigger this weekend on a TYM 5520Ch. I will post pictures whenever I take delivery this week; I know the rules.

I bought from the farther TYM Dealer, but they're second generation and they also sell McCormick and a ton of other attachments. I don't expect them to go anywhere and they seem to have great reviews service wise. I went with Ag tires for the traction and the hydro to make it easier for my wife and other helpers. They're also adding a third function valve, filling the tires, and I bought a box blade for the drive. Though I'm debating calling and having him throw on a set of pallet forks too. I haven't been able to find any used locally and even the rural king ones are pricey. It's almost spring auction time though, so I'll probably just keep an eye out at those events for a deal.

I actually had a little bit of a hard time deciding between the legacy Branson Tractor and it's TYM counterpart. The T594 had a much larger cab, but the bulk in things like axles, as well as the 4 range hydro made me pick the Branson. They also had a used JD 3720 and 4720 that I looked at closely, but they were 20 years old and approximately the same price. As much as I'd love to rock the traditional green, I am not at all convinced it's worth the upcharge.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #47  
Yanmar has a variety of tractors you might consider
However you should test drive as many as you can
to get a feel of what whould work best for you

willy

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #48  
I've ran both and can honestly say I would NOT want a cab tractor. I like being apart of what's happening and being able to hear and see things that I cannot have when I operate my brother-in-laws comparable cabbed Deere. Now if I was plowing snow 75" of the time, I may want a cab.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #49  
Well, I pulled the trigger this weekend on a TYM 5520Ch. I will post pictures whenever I take delivery this week; I know the rules.

I bought from the farther TYM Dealer, but they're second generation and they also sell McCormick and a ton of other attachments. I don't expect them to go anywhere and they seem to have great reviews service wise. I went with Ag tires for the traction and the hydro to make it easier for my wife and other helpers. They're also adding a third function valve, filling the tires, and I bought a box blade for the drive. Though I'm debating calling and having him throw on a set of pallet forks too. I haven't been able to find any used locally and even the rural king ones are pricey. It's almost spring auction time though, so I'll probably just keep an eye out at those events for a deal.

I actually had a little bit of a hard time deciding between the legacy Branson Tractor and it's TYM counterpart. The T594 had a much larger cab, but the bulk in things like axles, as well as the 4 range hydro made me pick the Branson. They also had a used JD 3720 and 4720 that I looked at closely, but they were 20 years old and approximately the same price. As much as I'd love to rock the traditional green, I am not at all convinced it's worth the upcharge.

Congrats on the 5520. Can't wait to see it at its new home!

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #50  
I've ran both and can honestly say I would NOT want a cab tractor. I like being apart of what's happening and being able to hear and see things that I cannot have when I operate my brother-in-laws comparable cabbed Deere. Now if I was plowing snow 75" of the time, I may want a cab.

Or if you work in a high wind/rain area, or if you work around lots of dust, or lots of insects, or have any type of respiratory issues....there are other reasons.

I do understand the better accessibilty you get with no cab....it really is nice. That said ther are lots of scenarios where cab is just the way to go.