Buying Advice First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #51  
Or if you work in a high wind/rain area, or if you work around lots of dust, or lots of insects, or have any type of respiratory issues....there are other reasons.

I do understand the better accessibilty you get with no cab....it really is nice. That said ther are lots of scenarios where cab is just the way to go.
Snow and rain is about all I would want one for. I can deal with the other issues as I already do. But not everyone has the same wants and needs as I do which is why there is options. I could have purchased a cabbed tractor and chose not to.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #52  
Congratulations, the 5520 ought to serve you well for a long time!

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #53  
I think you made a wise choice, TYM will always be there with parts and support for you.

We happen to own a cabbed 5520 and a 4520 open. I use the cabbed one for mowing, (I have hay fever)and grapple work.
The 4520 gets used for hand spraying and loader work.
The cab.... well the AC is awful nice because its always hot here and it keeps the pollen off us.
The open... its nice to feel the ocean breeze all the time while working.
If I had to pick and keep just one, it would be the cabbed 5520.

People ask me why I own two Branson's, well I use to live in the other side of the country 4000 miles away so we had to have 1 tractor for each location.
Then when we moved to our permanent location, I did not have the heart to sell it, so we brought it along in the truck.
Love the Branson's!

1710803736577.png

1710803402877.png

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #55  
Don’t cut your self short you will probably own this tractor for the rest of your life. Can with air and heat goes a long way in your later years of mowing when it’s in the 80s and snow blowing when it’s in the teens. Make sure you have a good dealership to support what ever you buy and look at the spec sheets lift capacity PTO hp.ect.
PS you get what you pay for look at resale values my tractor is still worth more then I paid for it happy tractor hunting 🙂

Attachments

• FCAACFC4-F945-46F2-9504-9E58D3A3E1F0.jpeg
    FCAACFC4-F945-46F2-9504-9E58D3A3E1F0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
   / First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #56  
I spent my childhood years on open station Farmalls. We bought the cabbed 5088 when I was 16. As a kid, I loved the cabbed tractor, I felt like one of those wealthy farmers, and listening to music was easier.
When I bought my own tractor, I chose an open station due to tree lines along my property lines and the desire to be able to jump on and off quickly during jobs. It’s also easier to communicate with my helper from the seat. I built my barn to accommodate a cabbed unit if that time comes, it just hasn’t yet.
I do at times get covered head to toe in dust when we are doing tillage and it’s dry. But I really do not mind. We don’t have a need for the tractor in the winter really.
I never really buy any durable good based on resale… because I don’t know when or if that day will come. I do consider opportunity cost however. Every $10k I sink into a piece of equipment costs me $1000 per year in lost opportunity for growth. So let’s say I pay $20k more for a tractor of another color. Each year, that unit costs me $2k in opportunity. Actually, it’s worse than that, because it compounds. Over 10 years it costs me $32000 in lost opportunity. I mean, in 10 years, opportunity cost alone, just paid for my new TYM in full. It’s like getting a free tractor at that point. So resale is moot. Math is fascinating.

Again, congrats on the 5520. The TYM 4820 compares to the Kubota L4760… except on price. Hydraulic flows, lift capacity, weight, etc. The only thing I changed was the rear work light. The L4760 doesn’t come with one standard anyway 😎
IMG20240313171951.jpg

In 10 years you can buy a new one with what you saved, and use the residual value to buy all new implements. 👍
IMG_0226.jpeg
IMG_0812.jpeg

Last edited:
   / First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #57  
My new tractor (1974 model) has a canopy. The other four have umbrellas. On those -15 degree days with a 30 mph wind I have questioned the wisdom of not having a cab. But in the end having a 20 pair cow calf herd and 320 acres of ground with a full line of equipment debt free is a bigger priority. Dang I'm cold!!!

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #58  
My new tractor (1974 model) has a canopy. The other four have umbrellas. On those -15 degree days with a 30 mph wind I have questioned the wisdom of not having a cab. But in the end having a 20 pair cow calf herd and 320 acres of ground with a full line of equipment debt free is a bigger priority. Dang I'm cold!!!

Amen

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #60  
Get an electric vest. They make them for motorcyclists and likely for snowmobilers too.

Good idea. I bought one to ride a new motorcycle home one cold November... In a snow storm 🤣