How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #21  
Re: How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

Well, it is not just tractor dealers. I wanted a Cat compact track loader and a compact excavator, stopped by the dealer 3 times, salesman keep telling me he would work up quotes and he would arrange demo's, left two messages with the rental salesman who kept apologizing for his counterpart. Stopped by the the Bobcat dealer that was only 1 mile down the road, the salesman had two demo CTL units and a excavator at my property within two hours. So, I bought Bobcat, so far that has been a good choice.

I did as Paulfun9 did and stopped by the Cat dealer with the CTL loaded on my trailer which resulted in a interesting response. A gentleman I did not know was talking to the receptionist, as I walked in he turned and asked if he could help me. I told him I just stopped by to show the salesman what he missed out on as I just bought a loader and excavator from Bobcat because he would never give me quote, demo or return any calls. I could the see receptionists eyes open wide as he told her to call the salesman at home and tell him to come back asap. He told me that a 289 CTL demo would at my property within an hour, I told him I already bought one. He said it does not matter, I deserved to test a Cat even if I was not going to buy one. The salesman showed up about an hour latter with a loader, he apologized and told me to keep the demo for as long as I needed to test it but I only kept it over the weekend. Come to find out the guy who I spoke to was the manager who jerked a big knot in the salesman rear for losing a sale to Bobcat.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #22  
Re: How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

Whole goods I would give them to the next day. In low density areas where I live the small stores may have one person as the GM/sales person, so if he is out demonstrating a machine he may not get back to the office right away. If the receptionist lets me know that he will be out of town I will wait and have him call me back. Parts I wait on the line for a price.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #23  

Well, it is not just tractor dealers. I wanted a Cat compact track loader and a compact excavator, stopped by the dealer 3 times, salesman keep telling me he would work up quotes and he would arrange demo's, left two messages with the rental salesman who kept apologizing for his counterpart. Stopped by the the Bobcat dealer that was only 1 mile down the road, the salesman had two demo CTL units and a excavator at my property within two hours. So, I bought Bobcat, so far that has been a good choice.

I did as Paulfun9 did and stopped by the Cat dealer with the CTL loaded on my trailer which resulted in a interesting response. A gentleman I did not know was talking to the receptionist, as I walked in he turned and asked if he could help me. I told him I just stopped by to show the salesman what he missed out on as I just bought a loader and excavator from Bobcat because he would never give me quote, demo or return any calls. I could the see receptionists eyes open wide as he told her to call the salesman at home and tell him to come back asap. He told me that a 289 CTL demo would at my property within an hour, I told him I already bought one. He said it does not matter, I deserved to test a Cat even if I was not going to buy one. The salesman showed up about an hour latter with a loader, he apologized and told me to keep the demo for as long as I needed to test it but I only kept it over the weekend. Come to find out the guy who I spoke to was the manager who jerked a big knot in the salesman rear for losing a sale to Bobcat.

Works like a charm every time! Even if you didn't get to buy from a good salesman that time the next person will have a much better experience thanks to you. Over the years I have done this many times and some of those places have earned my business back the next time around many times with new sales people on the floor. The guy who lost the sale when I wanted 3 Industrial backhoes was fired on the spot in front of me. I guess the boss couldn't understand why there was 3 trucks in his lot loaded with the competitors product! That salesman didn't want to give me the time of day because between the ratty truck I drove at the time and how young I was he seemed to feel I couldn't have enough money to be serious. I tried in vain calling him back a few times but each time was met with an attitude that made me feel like I wasn't worth his time.

PS. I still arrive in a ratty truck!

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #24  

I called a former dealer who still runs a shop asking for quotes on a few items. I believe I called six times. That was around three years ago and I'm still waiting for a call back. If I ever give those people any buisness I'll deserve what I get.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

I called a former dealer who still runs a shop asking for quotes on a few items. I believe I called six times. That was around three years ago and I'm still waiting for a call back. If I ever give those people any buisness I'll deserve what I get.

Yeah, you can't take it personal. Just move on and buy elsewhere. I'm convinced many sales people are actually scared of the savvy customer and wait to pounce on the impulse buyer not concerned about price or product knowledge.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #26  

It's just the times we live in. You have to hound almost anyone for anything.

When I try and talk to sales people and the receptionist (a rarity these days) asks if I want their voice mail, my blood boils. I ask to hold, and they keep coming back to ask if I still want to hold. I tell them, I would rather wait an hour on hold, then wait forever, for a call that will never be returned! They just don't get it!

30-60 second hold wait times are the norm this day and age, the receptionist is just doing as instructed. Not uncommon to only get 2 ring backs or so to the main desk before either forced to leave a message or hang up it is not the receptionist being mean or lazy it is their job.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #27  
I asked a dealer for a price on a whole goods tractor related item that costs around $2,000. While we were talking, I asked if he could find out what one would cost me (because you never know) and he said he would get right back to me. That was last week. I called again this week and he said he remembered he was supposed to call back and would call me. That was Wednesday. Now, I'm a good customer, buy a fair amount of stuff, lots of parts, have a good relationship and I'll write a check when I buy. I just think they are not real good on getting back when they should. They are a good dealer but I need this item soon and I'm not calling again. There are other dealers around. I can buy one at another dealer, and will soon if no call back--but wonder if I should wait a little longer so as to not appear rude. How do others feel on this?

I'm still waiting for three heavy equipment dealers to price me quotes after two or three visits after I explained that I will pay cash two months after the fact.

Last edited:
   / How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

When I was in business, I took every call every time regardless. If someone was in my office and the phone rang, I asked if it was OK to quickly pick it up. Everyone said yes and I told the caller I was in a meeting but if they had an immediate order I would take it but if not could I call back in 15 or 18 minutes or whatever. And I did. Both customers felt special in that one got his call answered promptly while the other saw someone get a call-back while they were taken care of.
It worked and I built a lifetime of business on the screw-ups and lazy attitudes of other unwilling to take a simple phone call. People don't call because they want to talk about the weather; they call because they want to buy something. Duh. :D

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #29  

Agree with moving on... unless the salesman indicated it would take longer than a day or two, then I would wait a little longer.

My wife wanted a new sewing machine, so went shopping one day (a particular brand). She found the one she liked and they only had the floor model left. They agreed to order a new one at the agreed upon price, plus a custom platform. Weeks went by and nothing.. I asked my wife to check on it, when she did, they had forgot to order it.

When it came in, they "forgot" to give her the agreed upon price, "forgot" to include extra needles... They got the sale finally done, but no mention of the custom platform... two months later, they called to let my wife know the platform was in...

They are the only game in town for that brand... so we must exercise patience...

Zero turn mowers, I wanted Ferris, none of the dealers within 250 miles had any in stock. They would all order one and sell it at list with a markup. We drove almost 300 miles (one way) to a dealer that actually stocked them. We bought one and drove home.

New guy that I ordered the stuff from just called to say my delivery is scheduled for the 14th but that things often arrive sooner and he expects that. He will know a day before and call. Asked if that was OK with me and I said looking forward to meeting you. This guy seems to have things figured out.

No attempt to reach me from the old guy yet.