How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #31  
Re: How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

Agree with moving on... unless the salesman indicated it would take longer than a day or two, then I would wait a little longer.

My wife wanted a new sewing machine, so went shopping one day (a particular brand). She found the one she liked and they only had the floor model left. They agreed to order a new one at the agreed upon price, plus a custom platform. Weeks went by and nothing.. I asked my wife to check on it, when she did, they had forgot to order it.

When it came in, they "forgot" to give her the agreed upon price, "forgot" to include extra needles... They got the sale finally done, but no mention of the custom platform... two months later, they called to let my wife know the platform was in...

They are the only game in town for that brand... so we must exercise patience...

Zero turn mowers, I wanted Ferris, none of the dealers within 250 miles had any in stock. They would all order one and sell it at list with a markup. We drove almost 300 miles (one way) to a dealer that actually stocked them. We bought one and drove home.

Depending on what it is, my answer to anyone with that "we can order it for you" BS is, yes so can I, on the Internet and usually save some money on price and sales tax and they'll even deliver it so I don't have to waste anymore of my time driving here to see you for nothing.

The idea of a brick and mortar store it to have stuff in stock, not just some idiot with a catalog and a phone or computer.

After shopping around the local stores, up to 35 miles away, and not finding what we wanted, I finally bought a kitchen full of new appliances on the Internet.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #32  
Re: How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

I too am curious as to what you ordered?

A day, maybe 2 at most then I move on. But in the meantime I'm still calling and checking other places out as a backup.
Had a guy come and adjust an out of whack garage door this summer. We looked at another door on the property and decided to go with a new style opener for it. Told him I had the cash, get it coming. That was now over 2 months ago and I never heard from him again. So if he comes calling with that opener one of these days, he can back out of my driveway and look for someone else to sell it to.

Had a similar thing happen maybe 4 years ago now when I was shopping for 20' 2x8 white oak boards to re-deck a trailer.

Lots of saw mills in my area. I called maybe 4 or 5 to get pricing. Most said they would have to call me back as they needed to check to see if they had any 20' logs to saw the boards from. Which was fine, I know 20' isnt a common size, but I wanted full length boards.

Got several calls back that evening and next day. Some could do it, some didnt have the material at the time. One that had the material, and was the cheapest, was also the closest. So I gave him the go ahead. Told me it would be about a week to get them done.

In the mean time, I ordered 5/16 x 2-1/2" t-40 drive trailer screws. Bout a week later he called, got my new lumber, and all was good.

Bout a month after I had this project wrapped up, one of the other saw mills called me up out of the blue, said we got your order ready??? What order??? HE said the 20' white oak boards. I told him I never ordered any boards, but I was calling around about 6 weeks ago getting prices and perhaps you were one I called? I explained that I got the trailer re-decked a month ago, and only "ordered" boards from one place.....the place I purchased them from.

Funny, they guy kinda got angry with me? Since when does inquiring about a price for a dozen oak boards mean that I am ordering them?

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #33  

I guess I'm impatient regarding these things. I haven't been to a tractor/implement dealer yet who was balls-to-the-wall busy from open to close. If they can't take a couple of minutes to check a price for me, and at least get back to me the same day, then I'm already looking somewhere else.

We bought our 7' blade and 5' rotary cutter from our local Rural King. Better everyday prices than two dealers' quotes, and they delivered the cutter (which they had to order) at no extra charge. (One dealer was honest enough to admit that he would just be buying from Rural King and marking it up a bit anyway.)

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

I'm the OP and here's the update. The dealer never got back to me so I bought elsewhere at what turned out to be a great country dealer. Got a deal on the price and while one thing lead to another, bought a new 70 HP Kubota at a great price. He has loads of implements, has a great staff and is really having fun in the ag business. I like that and don't mind spending money there. As well, I discovered his parts are very reasonable and noticeably lower than the dealer who is apparently waiting for me to call back.

As I have often remarked in other threads on Deere losing market share to Kubota "Customers aren't stolen; they are given away".

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #35  

congrats and enjoy your new machine.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

congrats and enjoy your new machine.

I've long believed that fate takes us where we need to be and that when one door closes, another one opens.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #37  

Still maintain that auto parts sales staff should have a light on their forehead to indicate they are talking on the phone and not to you.
I once suggested that I should call from my car in their parking lot in order to get service.
Clerk did not think me funny at all.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #38  

When I was looking at buying a small tractor mower and tiller, I stopped by the local Kubota dealer. Decent experience,but they are really firm on price and was blunt about it. Stopped by the new Holland / kioti dealer who sold a kioti to my neighbor (which I mentioned). Didn't offer to show me a kioti,and not really interested in giving me a price on a new Holland either. I left not to return. Then noticed sale on the Cabela's tractors, went to look at them an met the greatest tractor salesman you could meet. Bought from him. Yep, a month later they are on close out,but I still would have bought from someone who WANTS my business. And yes I had Cash for any of them......

Still maintain that auto parts sales staff should have a light on their forehead to indicate they are talking on the phone and not to you.
I once suggested that I should call from my car in their parking lot in order to get service.
Clerk did not think me funny at all.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a local auto parts store looking for all the tune up stuff for an old Ford plus fuel pump and related. All easy pesey and $150-$175. They didn't have the fuel pump but could order it along with other stuff they didn't have. Plus I had to endure the phone call from someone asking a newbie question while I cooled my heels. I got unhappy on a couple of levels so left and said I'd get back to them.

Went home and ordered everything from Summit racing. I saved $25 and it showed up two days later. Is the guy behind the counter that out of tune with life to not grasp the customer pays his salary thing? Why would I go back?

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #40  

Used to travel a lot. Ate a lot of junk fast food. If the place is busy go thru the drive-up. You'll get your food a lot quicker.

A similar situation is a phone call to a parts store. It always takes priority over the customer standing there. Human nature thing I guess. :confused3: