Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe?

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #41  
Son needs a more efficient truck, and preferable a bit newer (6.0L 2003 1500HD) for college commuting. Saw a recent auction for equipment from my local power coop, and they happen to have one that 'appears' to fit the bill, regular cab, 4x4, v6, chevy 1500, work truck package. The auction is 100% online, and doesn't have a preview period, but states, "runs and moves". Anyone ever bid on something like this, with that little info? I was thinking about throwing $1500 at it maybe, but there is a Lot of room between "runs and moves", vs no problems.

I've been involved with a bunch of fleet auctions and disposals. I'd say it's probably worse than buying a surplus rental vehicle. If it looks bad in the pics, it will be worse in person.

Usually Ritchie Brothers / BigIron and similar will offer an opportunity to see it and start it prior to the auction end. I wouldn't assume that anything works if you can't check it out.

What's the "premium"? Usually the auction house gets a 10% or more premium on top of your final price. Don't ignore that part of the deal.

Just curious, what year is it?

If you have inside knowledge about specific vehicles or are bidding an a company car that you personally drove, you can do ok -- but they'll still go for market price -- especially these days.

If you buy one cheap because it's ragged out, that's what you'll have.

Sounds like it was a field service vehicle. They usually have been upfitted with radios, spotlights, strobe lights, Telematics sensors and wiring, antennas, decals and high-visibility tape and stickers, etc. Don't be surprised to find cut wires sticking out everywhere and holes in the cab roof or hood where these things have been removed. They usually don't do anything fancy to repair the damage.

It doesn't strike me as an ideal "college commuting vehicle". But that's up to you guys . . .

I've bought several vehicles online -- some too far to inspect personally -- but they were at the opposite end of the spectrum from this. "Runs and moves" means you should be able to get it on your flatbed trailer without a winch.

Last edited:
   / Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #42  
deleted duplicate

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #43  
I just got my 2013 Ram 1500 back from the shop 5.7 Hemi. Symptoms were ticking, lack of power, and check engine light. After a week in the shop they finally located a burned valve. The shop had the heads sent off to a local machine shop who repaired the burned valve, not sure the details. I'm sure they replaced the valve and seat, not sure what else. Put everything back together and it ran fine under light load but CEL would come back on under heavy load. Timing was found to be advancing too far. Timing set removed and the phaser for the VVT adjustment was found to be broken. That was replaced as well as the water pump and all timing components. Same issue. Heads come off again, damaged lifter found and it had damaged a cam lobe. Re-assembled and 3 oil changes, declared fixed, and it's running like new and sounds fine. Repairs ended up taking about 2 months.

Here is the dilemma. I drive a beater car for fuel economy most of the time. The truck usually sits until I need it for truck stuff, however I try to run out a tank in the truck about every 4-5 in the car so it's getting some use. When I do use the truck, lots of times I'm pulling a trailer or otherwise have it loaded. Back in the day I had a 3/4 ton and I liked it a lot for doing truck stuff. Full size bed, and also a full size 4d cab for when I also needed to haul more than 2 people any distance. It pulled trailers better, blah blah. You that have or had them understand the difference.

I had planned on just keeping the current truck until the end of time. But with the engine history, I assume a motor replacement is in it's future and I don't really think it would be worth the cost. I'm tossing around the idea of selling it and buying a newer 3/4 or 1 ton. Not that I need it and for sure don't need a dually... But I like the idea that if I'm going to be keeping a truck around for a long time for mostly just truck stuff, that it easily be able to do anything I would need to do with it for the foreseeable future.

But holy crap are they expensive! Then there's the diesel vs gas debate and which manufacturer has time bomb motors or transmissions in what year... Ugh. I'm not sure if I need advise or just someone to pat me on the head and tell me it will all be fine....

Buy what you want and what you can afford. You can't take it with you and they're not getting any cheaper. Try NOT to trade your truck to the dealer no matter how hard they work that angle.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #44  
Why are you making him get a bank loan, going through the trouble and expense, just to repay you? If I'm doing this for my son, I would propose to him that I buy the truck and he can pay me back when his truck sells. No reason to involve a bank.
Well, for a couple reasons;
1) it will build some kinda credit history
2) it removes the temptation to get lazy about selling the old truck,

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #45  
I've been involved with a bunch of fleet auctions and disposals. I'd say it's probably worse than buying a surplus rental vehicle. If it looks bad in the pics, it will be worse in person.

Usually Ritchie Brothers / BigIron and similar will offer an opportunity to see it and start it prior to the auction end. I wouldn't assume that anything works if you can't check it out.

What's the "premium"? Usually the auction house gets a 10% or more premium on top of your final price. Don't ignore that part of the deal.

Just curious, what year is it?

If you have inside knowledge about specific vehicles or are bidding an a company car that you personally drove, you can do ok -- but they'll still go for market price -- especially these days.

If you buy one cheap because it's ragged out, that's what you'll have.

Sounds like it was a field service vehicle. They usually have been upfitted with radios, spotlights, strobe lights, Telematics sensors and wiring, antennas, decals and high-visibility tape and stickers, etc. Don't be surprised to find cut wires sticking out everywhere and holes in the cab roof or hood where these things have been removed. They usually don't do anything fancy to repair the damage.

It doesn't strike me as an ideal "college commuting vehicle". But that's up to you guys . . .

I've bought several vehicles online -- some too far to inspect personally -- but they were at the opposite end of the spectrum from this. "Runs and moves" means you should be able to get it on your flatbed trailer without a winch.
12% buyers premium, $125 additional fee for titled vehicles. It's a 2012, so pretty dang new. Gonna watch what happens and if it goes very high, I'll drop out of the bidding quickly. There were enough pictures to see it had very minor damage on right rear, just in front of rear axle, minor dent, worn seat, and arm rest. Miles are very low, 109k, but im sure it has a Lot of idle hours. I believe this was a meter reader truck. I dont work for the co-op, but I do know they are good about servicing.

I will note, I have driven approx 10 company vehicles through the last 15 years. The government owned ones had least idle hours, and worst maintenance, and most abuse. Private companies tend to work through a fleet leasing/tracking/maintenance program, and that's so-so. I personally know guy, whi told me, "I'm over due on oil change" I told him, it's not that big of a deal, we are due at 7500, but if it's 8-9k, nobody cares. "It's been 38,000" he said...

Last edited:
   / Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #46  
"I'm over due on oil change" I told him, it's not that big of a deal, we are due at 7500, but if it's 8-9k, nobody cares. "It's been 38,000" he said...
Uuuuh, yeah. I think I'll pass on that one.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe?
Well... decision is made.

2023 LT model. 25,000 miles, Duramax. I did end up trading mine. I feel like i got a reasonable deal and i don't have to deal with selling mine. Could have probably come out a couple thousand better had I sold mine outright but this was easier.

20240330_161212.jpg

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #48  

2023 LT model. 25,000 miles, Duramax. I did end up trading mine. I feel like i got a reasonable deal and i don't have to deal with selling mine. Could have probably come out a couple thousand better had I sold mine outright but this was easier.

View attachment 859740
Nice. Not a fan of the new grill style, but looks like a nice clean truck.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #49  

View attachment 859740
Congrats. Cant go wrong with a Duramax/Allison. That thing hauls ass bone stock