Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe?

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #31  
My lone experience with diesel trucks was my '08 F-250 with the 6.4L. I got 12-14mpg empty and 8 pulling a trailer. Which is exactly what I got when I change over to a V-10 gas Dodge 2500. I guess they got better.

You just happened to get a bad sample of an engine that was bad to begin with. Owners of new diesels are reporting 20+ mpg when not towing/hauling.

My 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually gets 18-19 mpg when empty. But most of the time it is loaded down with a 3000+ lb cabover camper and towing a Jeep on a trailer and even so it manages to average 14.3 mpg.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #32  
I used to laugh at the Cummins guys. I thought “why would you buy a truck based mostly on the Cummins engine”?

Then I bought one.

Now I know why….

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #33  
Recall, the hemi is sensitive to proper oil and in particular some years had cam & lifter surfaces issues.

If.the truck works, I'd continue on.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #34  
I used to laugh at the Cummins guys. I thought “why would you buy a truck based mostly on the Cummins engine”?

Then I bought one.

Now I know why….
Cummins makes the best diesel engine out of them all IMO. Cummins plant is about 45 mins away from me.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #35  
Cummins makes the best diesel engine out of them all IMO. Cummins plant is about 45 mins away from me.
I think the Duramax & Powerstroke are fine engines. The Duramax is going on 25 years of pretty much the same design with improvements and would be happy to own either one.
I just like the grunt pull of the Cummins better for my short haul, extreme loads.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #36  
Son needs a more efficient truck, and preferable a bit newer (6.0L 2003 1500HD) for college commuting. Saw a recent auction for equipment from my local power coop, and they happen to have one that 'appears' to fit the bill, regular cab, 4x4, v6, chevy 1500, work truck package. The auction is 100% online, and doesn't have a preview period, but states, "runs and moves". Anyone ever bid on something like this, with that little info? I was thinking about throwing $1500 at it maybe, but there is a Lot of room between "runs and moves", vs no problems.

Last edited:
   / Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #37  
Son needs a more efficient truck, and preferable a bit newer (6.0L 2003 1500HD) for college commuting. Saw a recent auction for equipment from my local power coop, and they happen to have one that 'appears' to fit the bill, regular cab, 4x4, v6, chevy 1500, work truck package. The auction is 100% online, and doesn't have a preview period, but states, "runs and moves". Anyone ever bid on something like this, with that little info? I was thinking about throwing $1500 at it maybe, but there is a Lot of room between "runs and moves", vs no problems.
Yeah, like RUST in my area.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #38  
Bidding started today, and I threw a $250 high bid on it, just as a place holder. No rust, and AC works (that's auctions claim), no CEL, and a pretty worn seat. May go upto to a max of $2500, but not before a discussion with wife/son

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #39  
The intent, would be make the purchase, and then son get a bank personal loan to repay me, building his credit, and avoiding needing full coverage insurance. Then repay the bank loan when he is able to sell his truck.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #40  
Why are you making him get a bank loan, going through the trouble and expense, just to repay you? If I'm doing this for my son, I would propose to him that I buy the truck and he can pay me back when his truck sells. No reason to involve a bank.