Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #121  
^^^maybe not all fuels are created equal as far as lubricity goes?

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #122  
The dye for Diesel is something they had in Europe over 50 years ago. More diesel cars over there and home heating fuel was the main target. Lots of things we see here were in Europe 20 years before. Like blue lights on cop cars and rising and falling sirens instead of one stationary frequency. As far as I know in California you have to fill out a form to get your money back if you cannot get off road Diesel. Naturally that would be expected in the most tax hungry location on the globe!
Politicians don’t like us reducing the funds that affect their cushy job. But it’s ok if the governor travels around the country when his job is here.
Some cops also just like to do easy work that keeps funds in kitty for their wages and benefits. Kinda like protection rackets.
Meanwhile drunk drivers are running around. But that’s harder work.
Years ago I had a CHP stop me while driving my backhoe on the road and told me I needed to license it for road use, but I knew as long as it was less than 50% on road one could get an SE plate for $10 no annual fee. I did that but they didn’t have plates they send them out so I had the temporary paper in my pocket. Sure enough I saw him coming towards me a few days later and he made a U turn just to pull me over. I showed him my paperwork and told him to go catch a drunk driver instead of hassling the working people. He replied this is part of his job too. I said yes the easy part.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #123  
No difference in my area between #2 diesel and #2 fuel oil.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #124  
My guess is those with obvious construction or farm vehicles are much more likely to get red dye tested than on road semi trucks.
I've never seen it done
I am not sure about your area, but here, whenever there is a State/DOT road check, one of the first things that they do is check diesel fuel and/or filter. You cannot hide the dye. The State/DOT frown on those who do not pay the road taxes that fuel generates.
As for being able to get off road diesel, here my dealer just needed me to sign a form which included my name, address, and equipment make/model.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #125  
I am not sure about your area, but here, whenever there is a State/DOT road check, one of the first things that they do is check diesel fuel and/or filter. You cannot hide the dye. The State/DOT frown on those who do not pay the road taxes that fuel generates.
As for being able to get off road diesel, here my dealer just needed me to sign a form which included my name, address, and equipment make/model.
The nearest place that sells off road Diesel is 40 miles from me.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #126  
Quality-wise, the only difference between on-road and off-road diesel is the red dye. I used to be the one adding the red dye. 250 ml per 8000 gallons of diesel if I remember correctly. The red dye denotes off-road fuel and as such the dyed fuel doesn't have to have the road tax added to it when sold, making it significantly cheaper.

Just don't get caught with dyed diesel in your on-road vehicle. Around here the DOT has been known to stop diesel pickup on the highway and "dip" the fuel tank. If dyed diesel is discovered there is a huge fine and they confiscate the pickup!
Random stops by DOT or police to "dip" your tank is complete illegal. It violates your constitutional rights to illegal search and siesure. You have to be accused of a crime before you or your property can be searched

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #127  
Don’t you know how traffic court works? Guilty until proven innocent. Many times you are up against judges who are paid by the same revenues.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #128  
Last edited:
   / Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #129  
   / Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #130  
The government required them ...
Well, the men an women we elected to Congress and to the US Senate passed law to protect us and created the agency(ies) to administer their law.

The government refused to pass a law to regulate over the counter 'supplements.' So, while you can know the sulfur content in that gallon of regulated fuel, you can't know if there's actually any Genseng in the twenty-four dollar bottle of "Korean Red Ginseng Softgels | Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Standardized to 10."

As more and more folks describe general interactions between themselves or 'us' and our government and individuals negatively, they feed into a dark and fearful consequence for our children. No outsider can conquer America, we simply wouldn't stand for it.

But we are, as Khrushchev once said, susceptible to destroying ourselves - I think he predicted it in an interaction with Richard Nixon when I was a kid practicing what to do 'in case of nuclear attack' from the USSR.