Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #131  
Many if not most elected officials are elected by huge campaign funds, lies and misinformation from them and large corporations, unions, and other billionaires. The voting public is largely uninformed, gullible and thinks electricity comes from the outlet in their wall.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #132  
The voting public is largely uninformed, gullible and thinks electricity comes from the outlet in their wall.

And all food comes from the grocery store...who needs farmers?

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #133  
For me off-road even WITH tax is cheaper. And this includes delivery.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #134  
Now I will admit, I don't know a darn thing about diesel fuels. Never touched a diesel motor, much less owned one before I bought my tractor several months ago. A friend of mine told me to use the off road diesel, since it is significantly cheaper, and basically the same as the on road stuff you would buy for passenger vehicles except for the colored dye to mark the off road stuff.

Then the other day another friend tells me that I shouldn't be using the off road diesel in my tractor, because there are significant deficiencies in the off road stuff, particularly lubrication of engine parts, that are detrimental to the engine.

So, who is correct?

And I sure do hope that there isn't going to be 50 percent saying one, and the other 50 percent saying the other is correct. :/
Red dyed diesel hasn't had road tax applied to the cost.

There is no difference in fuel quality between taxed and untaxed fuel.
When I could get enough fuel to work all weekend in a couple of 5 gal cans, I bought diesel where ever I could get it.
Once I got a second tractor, I hauled fuel in a 55 gal drum because I could unload it with FEL.
Now I use about 200 gals/year and 100 gal transport tank paid for itself in savings after the 2nd year.
Your Mileage May Vary!

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #135  
Random stops by DOT or police to "dip" your tank is complete illegal. It violates your constitutional rights to illegal search and siesure. You have to be accused of a crime before you or your property can be searched

Actually they don’t need a warrant or probable cause to search you for tax evasion. And any rights you thought you had are gone the second you put commercial tags on a vehicle. The can search those anywhere for any reason.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #136  
Is that one of those unwritten laws?

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #137  
   / Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #138  
I guess but the IRS hasn’t ever asked permission to audit anyones books.
Searching a truck is not a scheduled audit. The search requires a warrant.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #139  
A commercial truck they do not need anything, it in the federal DOT laws.

A private truck they can still search if they have probable cause to search the inside areas and the Supreme Courts have reaffirmed this. The outside of the truck including the tank do not need a warrant or probable cause. There is no expectation of privacy on the outside of the vehicle

If it’s locked , such as a bed mounted toolbox they would need a warrant. A commercial vehicle locked tank is codified and is a 1000 dollar fine for refusing to allow access. I am not sure about private vehicles

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #140  
I don't know if the two are chemically identical, but I've been using it in my tractors for over 40 years now and haven't had any issues.

Ultra low sulfur fuels are required for most newer tractors. ULS fuel was required for on road use well before the same requirement was applied to home heating oil. Now, almost all fuels, clear or red, are ULS, according to my heating oil supplier.
For me in Western PA, I buy my red fuel from a place that sells diesel/Home Heating oil out of a single pump. When you go in to the counter, you can state off-road diesel or state home heating oil, and you are written up and charged according to your words. The girl once asked me if I meant "home heating oil" when I stated that I got 40 gallons of diesel, I was confused, so she explained. I save over a $1 a gallon saying home heating oil. There are still some taxes applied to off-road in PA that are not applied to home heating oil. Since the oil itself is the same underground tank and same fuel pump, the only difference is how it is written up and taxed. Based on that, I have only bought home heating since 2018.