Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #732  
I still have to wonder why people are considering $250K colleges when state colleges across the country are almost universally 1/3 of that price.
Mostly courses offered and who teaches them.

I went to state college and it worked out well.
But trying to give my son an edge up on the future, especially writing and teaching.

/ Student Loan Debt? #734  
Not all states have good or even decent state colleges. NY for example, where I grew up. For general stuff the "SUNY" system was considered at best OK. I went into engineering and there was almost nothing in the SUNY system that had engineering, and what there was was not considered to be much good, frankly. Now my daughter graduated from UW Madison in Biochemistry which has one of the top programs in the world for that. And it was cheaper than the private engineering college I went to in NY...35+ yrs ago...

/ Student Loan Debt? #735  
Not all states have good or even decent state colleges. NY for example, where I grew up. For general stuff the "SUNY" system was considered at best OK. I went into engineering and there was almost nothing in the SUNY system that had engineering, and what there was was not considered to be much good, frankly. Now my daughter graduated from UW Madison in Biochemistry which has one of the top programs in the world for that. And it was cheaper than the private engineering college I went to in NY...35+ yrs ago...
I guess that makes sense in some select professions, but by and large, its the piece of paper, and they are all equal. Doesn't make a difference if it's Manilla Community Tech or Yale; a PE is a PE; an EIT is an EIT, an RN is an RN. Now, I understand not all professions are the same story. I do know some of the ones you see commercials for, their claim is they have 100% pass rate of the class (or close too it), and they can run you through a 2+2 program in like 27 months. At the same time, the one I'm thinking of, has piss pour Necleck (im sure i spelled that wrong) pass rate (Rasumsen College). But with them, I think part of the math is, what's $50k more in loans, if you can get out 2 years earlier, and increase your income by $50k/year. Also, it condenses the Life expenses (rent, car, child care) with the much less time in school.

/ Student Loan Debt? #736  
I still have to wonder why people are considering $250K colleges when state colleges across the country are almost universally 1/3 of that price.
Lot's of big IF'S.
If you are a "people person" and do well in semi-organized study groups with similar people you can often get better grades
If your "profession" depends on being published it's usually easier to get published if you were on a highly recognized team, even if you only carried coffee for 6 months.
If your profession is high paying the extra $$ might pay off quickly.

I was a loner and knew it. Always preferred working things alone and getting stuff done.
Still do.

/ Student Loan Debt? #737  
I’ve noticed many government job postings that still have the “degree in any subject” line-item in the list of qualifications, at both state and federal level. I’ve always wondered why they don’t list “degree in a relevant subject”?

Does that requirement really mean that a degree in musical theatre would differentiate a candidate from the general public for a job like corporate tax auditor?
Remember, this is the supposed Government.

Attachments

• College Loans.jpg
    College Loans.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 41
   / Student Loan Debt? #738  
Lot's of big IF'S.
If you are a "people person" and do well in semi-organized study groups with similar people you can often get better grades
If your "profession" depends on being published it's usually easier to get published if you were on a highly recognized team, even if you only carried coffee for 6 months.
If your profession is high paying the extra $$ might pay off quickly.

I was a loner and knew it. Always preferred working things alone and getting stuff done.
Still do.
So, this is a 100% question, not an attack, so please keep that in mind;
What actual profession beside professors, have things published? I mean, yes, book writers, but I wouldn't call that a profession, anymore than I would call a Lotto winner or a movie star, or artist a professions, as in, it's 95% luck, and not something you would ever encourage anyone to get into.

/ Student Loan Debt? #739  
What actual profession beside professors, have things published? I mean, yes, book writers, but I wouldn't call that a profession, anymore than I would call a Lotto winner or a movie star, or artist a professions, as in, it's 95% luck, and not something you would ever encourage anyone to get into.
Book authors are certainly professionals.
There are also authors of things like technical papers. One of our children authored three papers in college that were published. Those papers along with good grades and plenty of working experience helped them get accepted into many veterinarian schools (still deciding on which one).

Plenty of professional artists. Take, for example, advertising art. They get paid to do it. People and organizations pay to have artwork created as well. My mom was a professional artist and art teacher. My father, who was primarily an architect, drew plenty of artistic renderings of his works in watercolor before the age of computer graphics. He was also a paid artist for people that wanted specific scenes, murals, exhibits, etc... My mom would do that as well.

At my job at the newspaper, for several years, I managed the Ad Services Department, where we had several talented artists creating ads. Where do you think all that stuff comes from? Professional artists. And I was the one that taught them all how to use computers to create that art. That is, I learned the electronic tools, then taught them. They then came up with the ideas and used the tools to illustrate/create them. It was all hand done before that. Eventually, colleges started teaching electronic graphic arts.

My oldest sibling is a published poet.

Second sibling was a theatrical stage designer and owned a costume shop for several decades. Designed all their own scenery and built their own sets, and designed all the lighting as well. Had a degree in stagecraft. Designed all of their own costumes drawn by hand first in several views and iterations.

Third sibling taught art for 30 years in public schools, and has a business restoring art, paintings, statuary, sculptures, etc.. Also makes and sells original jewelry and art.

Fourth is an art professor, among other things, as well as the author of several books on art history and creating art. They are world renown in their field.

So, yes, artist is a REAL profession. It's learned. You have to practice and perfect your techniques.

;)

/ Student Loan Debt? #740  
I’m a first or co-author on several published papers and a few technical reports. Practitioners also publish.