Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #751  
My son and I found an interesting alternative to possible college debt. One of the careers he had interest in (besides the NFL, NBA, coaching, or marines) is law enforcement.

While talking with the chief of police for a nearby city, he indicated they may be willing to fully sponsor my son through the local police academy. By the end of this year he could literally be on the payroll starting at 55k a year and enrolled in a pension plan that would pay 80% of salary at full retirement age of 50. There is an attractive salary progression in place in the contract, and they pay for everything during training. All he would have to buy is his lunch. It seems that the negative press from the last couple years is creating some real opportunities for young people with an interest in law enforcement.

This could be the golden ticket. He has some hard choices coming up soon about what he wants his future to look like.
Police work seems to be a thankless job as well as a dangerous job.
I would hate to hesitate to pull the trigger because I was afraid of news media backlash.

/ Student Loan Debt? #752  
   / Student Loan Debt? #753  
   / Student Loan Debt? #754  
Yes, it can be, Forest Service too. A girl I went to high school with was murdered in the back country working for the Forest Service. Prior she had worked at the DNR if memory serves.
And we have more fatalities in the Forest Service related to managing incidents such as wildfires or equipment/aircraft operations than backcountry murders.

/ Student Loan Debt? #755  
Yes, it can be, Forest Service too. A girl I went to high school with was murdered in the back country working for the Forest Service. Prior she had worked at the DNR if memory serves.
I think checking hunting poachers would be pretty dangerous. You already know they're armed at least.

/ Student Loan Debt? #756  
I think checking hunting poachers would be pretty dangerous. You already know they're armed at least.
The state Game and Fish Departments do that. We don’t enforce hunting regulations in the Forest Service. We do administer logging, thinning, tree planting, and do fire management.

Last edited:
   / Student Loan Debt? #757  
Do you really have a clue about how every professor in the USA handles class? If so that’s very impressive. Maybe your basing this off of your sons sample size. lol.
I have one child in a masters program and another child in undergrad and they say the same things. Put on a movie and the professor sits and reads his I-phone.

So it’s not just him hearing that.

/ Student Loan Debt? #758  
I have one child in a masters program and another child in undergrad and they say the same things. Put on a movie and the professor sits and reads his I-phone.

So it’s not just him hearing that.

The heroes of the pandemic... One taste of electronic learning was all it took for them to realize they didn't have to engage. Their jobs will so easily be filled by AI. Which is frightening, but let's face it, they have helped it along.

/ Student Loan Debt? #759  
The “programmers” of the AI are the next group to seize power. What they tell AI to tell our children could be truly frightening.

The “great reset/new world order” faculty lounge types are drooling.

/ Student Loan Debt? #760  
AI is already programming them… through the little devices they hold in their hands. Carefully curated content. It is true there is no truth to them anymore, because their truth and world view is carefully constructed by an algorithm. Again, the designers of this technology have a great documentary, and it is eye opening.

FWIW my sons Earth Sciences prof told his class on the first day, yesterday, that it will be the only day she lectures. 😂 We are going on 6 classes now, where this is the status quo. He is only 14, so he only takes two accelerated 8 week courses per semester. Heroes I tell ya… in the trenches!