Kubota BX2200 Reviews

5.00 star(s)
rbarker

BX2200 Kubota
Great Tractor
Model Year: 2002

Going on 9 years with this tractor and it's done everything I expected and more. Other than maintenance and some upgrades I haven't spent a penny on it.

Pros: Reliability.
Cons: Not much, really.

5.00 star(s)
lindnova

BX2200 Kubota
Tough Little Tractor

Versatile, tough tractor. It is small enough to mow the lawn, yet large enough for a loader and 3 pt. I used it to grade my yard. Now it is my lawn mower, snowplow, and material mover. I went through seals on the front axle and the steering cylinder at 1100 hours - probably due to heavy loader use. I have never taken it in for any servicing and have been able to do all repairs myself.

Pros: Versatile.
Cons: A little small for doing heavy work.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
pro-tell

BX2200 Kubota
BX2200
Model Year: 2000

I got my BX2200 when they first came out. At first my dealer would fix trouble that was described in their service bulletins (which I printed from TBN partners). The last time I went back to my dealer was to replace the leaking bladder tank that was identified as a problem within a few months from other owners. I did not identify the problem as quickly as other owners perhaps because I didn’t completely fill my fuel tank. When I did report it to him, I was told he would not replace it free because I had my BX2200 longer than his required warranty. I did agree to a free part and I paid labor on his bill. I have never returned to his dealership for additional service. I am both fortunate and pleased that I haven’t had the need to go back for dealer service. I am able to get fluids, parts and completed all scheduled maintenance myself.

Pros: Powerful and runs great.
Cons: Exhaust port blows directly into the FEL arm.

5.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

BX2200 Kubota
My Kubota BX200

I bought my Kubota to handle mowing just under 4 of my 6 acres and clearing my 800+ foot driveway in the winter. My entire property is a hill and it not the best soil so I needed a solid machine to handle the terrain as well as a 4 wheel drive to handle the one steep slope (3-1 slope). I have had DR walk behind and it fell apart after 2 years. I bought a riding Garden tractor that fell apart after 2 years. I then bought this tractor and it is not having an issue. It is a solid machine with plenty of power and ability to do what I need. When I bought the machine, I was new to tractors and told the sales person that I needed help. I was able to test this machine out at their shop and things seems fine. When I brought it home, I took it out to mow the yard. Within 30 minutes, one of the blades were loose and the engine kept cutting out. They sent someone out to look at it and he tightened the blade (should have been done before they sold it) and they said it would have to go back and they were going to have to check the engine for issues. I got a bad feeling so I called a neighbor about their Kubota and he pointed me to Smith Custom Service. Within 5 minutes, they knew to replace the fuel filters and the machine has been under their care since! They also replaced the front steering rod to fix the manufacturer issues on this model and it is wonderful! Tractor is solidly built and runs wonderfully. I am not finally seeing the gas leak issue that was reported with this model and will be taking the ROPS off to replace the part this winter. I would recommend this tractor to anyone who needs to mow a lot of property.

Pros: Solidly built and does not stop.
Cons: Did not come with the front end hydraulics. Definitely get that just in case.

5.00 star(s)
Small Tractor Guy

BX2200 Kubota
Does It All
Model Year: 2001

I don't have a great need for a tractor, but I use it to plow my driveway, move dirt and wood chips and other materials etc. I have a rear fork lift that came in real handy when I had to move a 500lb standby generator from the driveway to the Generator site. This thing is built like a bull. It pulls out trees and the BEST thing I bought for it was a "JohnnyBucket" Powered front slip scoop. I move around EVERYTHING with it. I don't mow my lawn because I have a service that does it but the mower does do an excellent job when I did. I highly recommend this tractor except for a couple of minor things that the new ones now have that mine is lacking. I would buy it again in a second.

Pros: Built like a bull, powerful, fully featured, good attachments.
Cons: No cruise control, I don't like the foot pedal for the trans; Deere's is better.

5.00 star(s)
bxbuster

BX2200 Kubota
BX2200 Ten Years of Service
Model Year: 2000

I've owned this machine since new. I have put over ten years of service on the tractor and attachments and I don't use my equipment lightly. I had one hydraulic line leak due to a rub through on the bracket. Other than that nothing but oil changes and diesel. The tractor has performed way beyond any expectations I had. It's built like a bulldozer. I built a new home in '08 and this little thing lifted 800lb boulders day after day. I saved enough money on labor to pay off half the tractor purchase. Hundreds of boulders in the retaining walls all around my home. The only complaints I have are the crazy part about the loader control not being integral with the tractor. Kind of mickey mouse but this was addressed in later years of the machine. I've mowed hundreds of acres of land and it is still running the original belt. I'm so impressed with this machine I would buy again without a second thought. Only other complaint is that I did not buy it sooner.

Pros: Built like a tank. It doesn't break. Turn the key and go day after day.
Cons: Poor loader control design. It should have stayed on the tractor not the loader.

4.00 star(s)
srbooe

BX2200 Kubota
Kubota Compact with Loader
Model Year: 2003

Out of all the times I have used this tractor, there have been only three kinds of problems. The fist one is that the front-end loader had gone through nearly all the hoses. That started at the third year of use and still plagues me on occasion. I have replaced nearly all of them by now. The only other problem is in cutting thick grass fields in the summer. When the outside air temp gets high, so does the engine coolant temp. I have to back way off to keep the engine cooled down. Lastly, the fuel filler neck where it mounts started leaking. That one was tough to find since it is hidden under the fender. All in all, cleaning up from hurricanes and keeping my driveway and most of the lawn and fields cut, it has been really good.

Pros: Compact size, belly mower, runs a 4' brush cutter well.
Cons: Hoses and hot day mowing.

5.00 star(s)
380SLD

BX2200 Kubota
The Only Machine That Meets My Requirements
Model Year: 2001

I have had a couple of Kubotas before this one, an older B6200 and a 2000 B2950. The older one was nice but was showing its age, and did not have a lot of power either. When I got the B2950, it was all I thought I would ever want: it was big, tough, had industrial tread tires, and every bell and whistle that came with the top-of-the-line B series machine. However, the mower left huge windrows of cut grass, and it was so big and heavy you could park a bus in the tracks it would make in the softer spots of my yard. It had to go, so I got rid of it and bought the BX2200, which my Kubota salesman had tried to convince me to buy the first time around. It wasn't as big, tough or fast as the B2950, but boy oh boy was it a way better fit for my purposes. I began to appreciate it the more I used it, from cutting my tough and rough lawn in summer, to removing the snow from all the driveways in my neighborhood in winter, to hauling wood, dirt, gravel, furniture, barrels, tires, bricks, etc. in between. I have had issues with it over the years, though. My tractor was one of the ones that had a defective power steering cylinder originally installed at the factory, and it failed pretty spectacularly. It was also costly to purchase the upgraded replacement, too, ~$250. A few of the hydraulic hoses have failed over time too, despite my seasonal replacement of the hydro fluid, but these things happen in all manner of hydraulic equipment. Thankfully, the tractor is small and things are usually very easily accessible for repair. My fuel tank has the infamous fuel gauge sender leak, and I just don't feel like taking it apart to replace it just yet: I have a Curtis steel cab kit installed, so this repair will be a monumental PITA. The biggest problem I have had with the machine was a problem that haunted me for quite some time now, but that I could never fix... It would start up and run just fine, but after only ten minutes or so, it would sputter and run, losing most of its power to the point where the tractor was struggling to pull itself along easy inclines. Finally, I was able to rectify this by totally flushing and draining the fuel tank a few times, as well as blowing compressed air through the fuel feed line. This broke up and removed whatever accumulated crud had built up in the tank that was starving my engine for fuel. What a difference this made! It isn't enough to just change both fuel filters, sometimes the lines and electric pump go bad too. Water, even a small amount, will cause the same problems; be ready to get dirty and do the above when it happens to you. Another unique thing about this machine is the hydrostatic oil filter location: right next to the mid mount PTO. Early in my ownership when I went to replace the mowing deck, I forgot to double check the mower driveshaft. The driveshaft had separated, and when I engaged the mid mount PTO, the end of the driveshaft still connected whipped around and busted off the filter, along with screwing up the threaded filter mount and housing. Luckily, the dealer was a real sport about the incident and performed a warranty repair so I could use my machine; Kubota dealers are really great support systems in their own right, and I love mine. Aside from the above, my ownership has otherwise been satisfactory. I use it for a wide variety of purposes, and although sometimes when it malfunctions I hate it, I love it much more often. Besides, since I have developed such an intimate technical wealth of knowledge of the overall machine, and I wouldn't want to begin all over again with the arrival of a new replacement. Buy one and enjoy, I am certain you will be pleased, but always remember that although it's a small machine, it's built like the big ones, so be ready to do your maintenance and repair duties as required in order to get the most out of it. This machine has no comparison with air cooled garden tractors despite their similar size, they are much heavier and stronger. The BX2200 will also require more respect be paid to its maintenance schedule, and will reward you well with excellent service when done so.

Pros: Small machine, but built like the big ones.
Cons: Small machine, but built like the big ones.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
kabotaman

BX2200 Kubota
Ten Years of Light Use
Model Year: 2003

Have been using BX2200 primarily for brush cutting, using a BM brush mower. Also used for moving dirt & occasionally loading. Gotta love that Kubota.

Pros: Right price, good service from local dealer, optional equipment avail.
Cons: The cooling system wasn't good enough while using mower that was attached to my three point hitch, so after a valve job, went to a towed bm mower with its own motor.

4.00 star(s)
BXtreme

BX2200 Kubota
BX2200
Model Year: 2004

Great little tractor, it's tough enough to tackle any job you might have around the house. Don't expect to brush hog major fields or push major loads, but will definitely do more than you would expect from such a small frame. I've used mine to finish mow about 2 acres and brush hog 2 more. I've set more then 70 posts using a small Howse post hole auger through some of the rockiest soil, cleared brush piles, dragged large logs, moved large bolder's... I can honestly say I've tested its limits!

Pros: Tough little diesel, small enough to cut around the house.
Cons: Low clearence.

Photo Uploads: