Tractor Sizing Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #51  
Three photos from today. Removing dirt and ashes from our community yard debris burn pit.

HST/PLUS, MED//LOW, 2/3 throttle, 4-WD engaged. Easy-peasie

Sure is different from our Rocky Mountain "soil". We'd sure trade some rocks for that nice sand, dirt, and yes....we'll take the ashes too.
Here is some typical high country tractor work. This is a flat area, but it still has a few rocks.

rScotty

Attachments

• Culvert_4.JPG
    Culvert_4.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 128
  • _DSC5635.jpeg
    _DSC5635.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 119
   / Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #52  
I am at sea level. I am of no help here, but running at 8600feet is interesting.

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #53  
Introduction to Agricultural Engineering Technology
Harry Field, ‎John Solie - 2007 - ‎Technology & Engineering

For naturally aspirated spark ignition and diesel engines the power rating must be reduced by 3% for each 1,000 ft (305 m) of elevation above 500 ft (152 m) above sea level.

Altitude is not a problem for engines with turbochargers because turbos increase the intake system air pressure.

LINK (Cursor to section #7.10/Altitude): Introduction to Agricultural Engineering Technology: A Problem Solving Approach - Harry Field, John Solie - Google Books

Last edited:
   / Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft
Sure is different from our Rocky Mountain "soil". We'd sure trade some rocks for that nice sand, dirt, and yes....we'll take the ashes too.
Here is some typical high country tractor work. This is a flat area, but it still has a few rocks.

rScotty

Looks very familiar!

Introduction to Agricultural Engineering Technology
Harry Field, ‎John Solie - 2007 - ‎Technology & Engineering

For naturally aspirated spark ignition and diesel engines the power rating must be reduced by 3% for each 1,000 ft (305 m) of elevation above 500 ft (152 m) above sea level.

LINK (Cursor to section #7.10/Altitude): Introduction to Agricultural Engineering Technology: A Problem Solving Approach - Harry Field, John Solie - Google Books

So I will be running at about a 24% power loss. Interesting. A 60 hp tractor is a 45hp tractor at my altitude. The question is a Spec'd TC 60hp engine still going to operate at 45hp, or because it is turbocharged will I see less of a power loss at altitude.

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #56  
The biggest difference is the transmissions offered;do you want to give up HST for a shuttle?If you go with the M7060;get the 12 speed not the 8.With-out going to the Kubota site ,I would guess the "M"comes with bigger tires.
If I ever give up mine;it will be for a M7060.Problably won't happen,my current only has 1200 hours and no DEF.

So I will be running at about a 24% power loss. Interesting. A 60 hp tractor is a 45hp tractor at my altitude. The question is a Spec'd TC 60hp engine still going to operate at 45hp, or because it is turbocharged will I see less of a power loss at altitude.

Nevermind I missed the sentence in the book that states with a turbocharged engine there is no loss.

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #58  
I am at sea level. I am of no help here, but running at 8600feet is interesting.

It is interesting, but power at high altitude is not the problem for a couple of reasons. One is that a turbo almost - but not quite - makes up for the missing air pressure. It's close enough that the difference due to altitude is not an issue here at 7000 feet.

But that's not the whole story. The problem iwith turbos is that they are RPM dependent and not as efficient at low RPMs. So if you like to run a tractor at low to medium RPM like most do in the mountains then the machine is running where the turbo isn't very efficient. That makes for a much smokier exhaust. Still plenty of power though.

In the mountains I don't think we have as much use for pure HP as flatlanders do. We can't go as fast or as far or pull much of anything through the dirt. And there are usually obstructions that make pulling any wide implement impossible. An 8 foot wide implement is plenty.

Taking a look back at Jeff's post #48, I can see where he is going to need all the HP he has to pull that box blade full of dirt up an incline. But we just don't do that sort of work in these mountains. Well....that's not entirely true, there are some agricultural areas even at high altitude - and yes, those areas have real dirt and few trees so farming there is like farming anywhere. Only that kind of land was pretty much settled a couple hundered years ago. Most available land today doesn't have many areas places where a box blade could get such a load of dirt because it would hit enough rocks to stop it.

The only time I ever use a lot of throttle is when roading the tractor to go over to a friend's house. There some extra HP is nice for the uphill stretches.
What we use more in the mountains is side hill stability, traction on granite gravel sand, low speed maneuverability, lots of gears (love that HSTplus!) and the ability to change front and rear implements often as we go from rock to sand to trees over and over again.
YMMV,
rScotty

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #59  
The biggest difference is the transmissions offered;do you want to give up HST for a shuttle?If you go with the M7060;get the 12 speed not the 8.With-out going to the Kubota site ,I would guess the "M"comes with bigger tires.
If I ever give up mine;it will be for a M7060.Problably won't happen,my current only has 1200 hours and no DEF.

Shuttles and clutch type trannys are not as popular as HST in the mountain west because of the shifting lag time on a slope. We are often on some degree of slope.
rScotty

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #60  
Thanks for that, I noticed the Kubota L6060HSTC is turbocharged and seems like an option. Thoughts?

looking at the Kioti NX6010 you listed it also appears to have a turbocharged engine.

If turboed tractors are like airplanes, the engine should produce rated power to a certain altitude. probably well above the altitude you would be using the tractor at.

Last edited: