David Brown 990 4.20 star(s) (9)

Information, reviews, photos, discussion topics, owner pages, and specifications about the David Brown 990.
25-50 HP Tractors

About the David Brown 990

David Brown 990 Discussions (0)

Here are the most recent 990 topics from our community.
No discussions tagged.
[ad placeholder]

User Reviews (9)

Read what TractorByNet members think about the David Brown 990 Subcompact Tractor
44 %
44 %
0 %
11 %
0 %
5.00 star(s)
rndbale

990 David Brown
Case/DB 990 with loader
Model Year: 1978

I have owned mine for 30 years this July. I bought it with about 3300 hours on it and have used it for haying, firewood, bush hogging, snow removal and general farm chores. In that time I have replaced the water pump, front wheel spindle (2x), batteries and other normal maintenance. I have worked this tractor hard, although I also keep it shedded, run Shell synthetic Rotella (changed annually) and try not to do stupid things with it.

Pros: Starts good, reliable, solid engine; 5K+ hours with no oil burning.
Cons: Front spindles a little weak for a loader; hate the cartridge oil filter.

4.00 star(s)
sandman88

990 David Brown
David Brown 990 White
Model Year: 1972

A simple-to-operate tractor when in standard form. Good starter, reasonable to mount, cab restricts access slightly.

Pros: Cheaper than some to buy.
Cons: Harder to sell than some.

4.00 star(s)
Brushcutter1

990 David Brown
DB 990 & Loader
Model Year: 1966

We've used this tractor heavily for front end loader work weekly for 37 years. It has always been strong and very reliable. Often with poor maintenance. It has also cut, raked, and baled thousands of tons of hay. I use it commercially with a 6' brush-hog mower. The engine is tired now, and the Dunham loader is almost worn out, but it's still used regularly. The only negative is the 3pt hydraulics sometimes stick. A good old friend.

Pros: Overall reliability, runs strong.
Cons: Sticky 3pt hydraulics.

2.00 star(s)
ramacker

990 David Brown
It is a David Brown 990
Model Year: 1953

It is an old tractor I am slowly working out the bugs, but the valve assembly is an impossibility to fix or replace. So I am presently welding a metal to just lift and let down manually.

Pros: It has lots of power when it works.. but it is old.
Cons: The hydraulics valve assembly is the pits... hard to get, repair, or replace.

4.00 star(s)
linc731

990 David Brown
1968 David Brown 990 Selectamatic
Model Year: 1968

55 hp diesel with a 12 speed transmission. Tractor looks and runs well, temperamental hydraulic system.

Pros: Good looking tractor, powerful.
Cons: Hydraulics.

4.00 star(s)
igotalake

990 David Brown
990 Select-a-Matic
Model Year: 1967

I have to say first of all that this is my first ever tractor so I do not judge by comparison to other makes which may or may not be just as good or even better. Cannot fault build quality this is a pretty solid tractor with, I believe, an innovative hydraulics system for it's age. Don't like the links as they are a bit unstable and move side to side too much. Engine is going great but hydraulics are complicated and don't work as they are supposed to. I've got used to the hydraulics so they are usable for me and the engine has been absolutely great so I would say it's pretty reliable in its most important area, the engine. A tractor which runs is useful even if the hydraulics are a pain. a tractor that doesn't run is just iron.

Pros: Solid, runs well.
Cons: Hydraulics complicated to get running right.

5.00 star(s)
khood67

990 David Brown
David Brown 990 Select-A-Matic
Model Year: 1980

We bought the tractor in 2001. It has a very large ROPS attached and looks as if it may have been a state owned mowing rig at one time. It is very reliable and has had a crack lengthwise in the block since we bought it and uses very little coolant as a result. I would definitely buy another given the chance. I've been running the same tank of fuel for a year. We mow a little over an acre with it a lot of that being uphill. All in all i am very impressed with our David Brown.

Pros: Fuel efficient yet still powerful.
Cons: None.

5.00 star(s)
siggy

990 David Brown
990 Dave Brown
Model Year: 1972

This tractor has been the most helpful and dependable piece of equipment I own. Would hate to do without it.

Pros: Very dependable.
Cons: 3 point a little slow.

5.00 star(s)
tomdbt

990 David Brown
David Brown 990 Implematic
Model Year: 1962

This is a great tractor. Mine is 53 years old and knocked out 7,000 bales of hay last season. It will be in action again this coming season working along with a 1964 David Brown 880.

Pros: Reliabilty low fuel consumption, easy starting
Cons: No air ca

[ad placeholder]

David Brown 990 Owner Pages

View owner pages to see photos, customization and comments about member-owner David Brown 990s
No results found.

David Brown 990 Community Rankings

#526 user rating of 2355 25-50 HP Tractors items
#325 Viewed of 2355 25-50 HP Tractors items
#31 discussed of 2355 25-50 HP Tractors items
#1338 user rating of 27027 items overall
#1000 Viewed of 27027 items overall
#61 discussed of 27027 items overall
#7 Ranking of Most-OwnerPages in 27027 items overall