Massey Ferguson MF165 4.60 star(s) (19)

Information, reviews, photos, discussion topics, owner pages, and specifications about the Massey Ferguson MF165.
50-100 HP Tractors
1704758624 (3).jpg

About the Massey Ferguson MF165

Massey Ferguson MF165 Discussions (0)

Here are the most recent MF165 topics from our community.
No discussions tagged.
[ad placeholder]

User Reviews (19)

Read what TractorByNet members think about the Massey Ferguson MF165 Subcompact Tractor
58 %
42 %
0 %
0 %
0 %
4.00 star(s)
BenjiMac

MF165 Massey Ferguson
Old Massey Ferguson - my first tractor
Model Year: 0

This is my first ever tractor so I don't know much to compare my experience with. I was looking at smaller tractors 20-30hp but the used John Deere was already sold so I bought this older bigger one for less. Rated 58hp and weighs 4 tons with front end loader, it gears down slow and even with 2 wheel drive it doesn't stop for small-medium cedar trees which is what I need it for most right now. I like it a lot! Some people with real-size farms of course have much bigger tractors than this one. It has a Category 2 three-point hitch. So far my implements are all Cat1, which is no problem with the adapter bushings I bought at Tractor Supply. Problems so far, not unexpected for a machine this old - gauges and lights mostly don't work, and the power steering failed when it ran out of fluid. The brakes work reluctantly. But it still starts and goes. I have a user manual and am just learning how to lubricate things; if anyone knows how to do front wheel bearings please let me know as the grease fittings in the manual don't exist. My place is extremely rocky, hardly any dirt in the wooded area. Some cedar trees that are rooted between rocks pop up again after I knock them down. I bought a big Paumco shovel that attaches to the front loader and a Brush Grubber Extreme, both from Northern Tool. I haven't had time yet to attach the shovel right. It should be able to dig out some tree roots and rocks that the 6' bucket alone cannot, but on my first test it just went crooked because I didn't have a chain tensioner. This really needs a 3/8 chain and a ratchet tensioner before you can use it. I also need to attach a mirror somewhere so I can see it in front of the bucket. The Brush Grubber Extreme worked great on 2 trees so far that the bucket couldn't remove, maybe 1 and 2.5 inches diameter, way less than its capacity. I am happy that I didn't buy a small one as the big one works great with small trees too. I have some good bottom land along the river and plan to plant assorted vegetables there after clearing enough trees to get there in the tractor. The manual says I can use up to 4-bottom plows, I will buy whatever I can get used cheap. I might also buy a manual push-type seeder. Does anyone have anything I especially need to know for first crop? - Benjamin

Pros: More power/weight than compact models.
Cons: Old, lots of small things don't work.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
165masseyky

MF165 Massey Ferguson
Hydraulics
Model Year: 1974

I am well pleased with my MF 165. It has great power and response with the one slight exception. The hydraulics are too low of volume. At 4.5 gpm they are a little slow but other than that it is an awesome tractor.

Pros: Perkins engine, and multi power.
Cons: Low gpm hydraulic remotes.

4.00 star(s)
BenjiMac

MF165 Massey Ferguson
Old Massey-Ferguson Still Runs
Model Year: 1972

I bought an old Massey-Ferguson model 165, two wheel drive. TractorData rates the diesel at 52hp PTO, 41hp Drawbar, and apparently someone tested the drawbar power at 44.93hp. All I know is it doesn't seem to notice if I put a single plow in the ground, continues along at the same speed as before. When it's cold (below freezing) I have to give the air filter a small squirt of starter fluid to get it running. This is new enough to have modern features such as automatic 3-point hitch and roll bar with canopy. Mine came with a Bush Hog brand front end loader that is a lot stronger than I have seen on some smaller tractors. I bought some cat1 implements for it - a box blade, a 1-bottom potato plow (mould boards left and right from the point), and a sub-soiler. These mount to the cat2 hitch with metal sleeves from Tractor Supply. I need to get a 2-point or 3-point plow and a brush mower.

Pros: Lots of power and cat2 3-point hitch.
Cons: Old.The hydraulic system leaks so I have to refill it every couple of uses.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
irishrm

MF165 Massey Ferguson
It's Never Let Me Down
Model Year: 1971

My 165 is my pride & joy. Not bad to look at & sounds great. Will do big makeover job at end of year. Very nice & easy tractor to mow with. Have some things to sort out & hope to get some tips from you all. Me I'm a sheep farmer in co Kerry Ireland. Got Cancer in 2010 but now I'm nearly fixed. Time for the 165. It's one of the things that I promised myself to do. Irishrm

Pros: I got one.
Cons: That I waited so long.

5.00 star(s)
at7615

MF165 Massey Ferguson
Can't Beat a MF

For poor folk you just can't beat a MF with a Perkins diesel. Easy to work on and good work tractors. I avoid the power shift trannys as they can have trouble! The simpler the better!

Pros: Inexpensive.
Cons: Steering.

5.00 star(s)
7000Ford

MF165 Massey Ferguson
MF 165 with 203 Motor
Model Year: 1967

Can find very little wrong with the tractor. Sometimes the extra gearing of multi-power would be handy, and power steering would be good, but they were optional when new. Since I bought it 13 Yrs ago, it has had a new clutch, a new tachometer, amp meter & fuel gauge. It has done some long days, and some hard work. Jobs include, haymaking with NH haybine, various rakes & IHC baler (the PTO is excellent, working at medium engine rpm for PTO speed it is economical , yet still good PTO power) slashing (even in thickest grass, you cannot stall the engine, and sensitive linkage enables me to even cut the front lawn with it) as well as various row crop cultivation, hilling up, weeding, etc. I think it would be hard to find a tractor built in 2012 to perform better.

Pros: Powerful for size; high torque; fuel efficient; reliable; easy to servie & use; parts quite cheap; very good linkage operation, particularly fine adjustments; easy starter.
Cons: Only 6 forward gears.

4.00 star(s)
paulbh

MF165 Massey Ferguson
First Decent Over 50hp Tractor

I've had this machine for nigh on half my life. It was used mostly as my chore tractor when I was farming. Good PTO horsepower-self adjustable rear wheels. The industrial loader is fantastic and very fast with the front pump. Easy to start in the winters (plugged in..) Absolutely no reason to part with it.

Pros: Well priced on the used market. Very good on fuel. Excellent weight distribution.
Cons: Watch out for the front end on loader equipped units. Brakes could be a little better.

4.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

MF165 Massey Ferguson
Old Banger
Model Year: 1986

Brought this old puppy about 9 years ago. Paid 40,000 sek for it and it is probably worth the same today. Use it to plough using a 2 bladed plough, drag trees out of the forest, scrub clearing, snow clearing and general duties around the farm. Needs a new radiator and has done for the past 3 years, just keep on filling it up :) , a couple of new rear tires wouldn't go amiss either. Out of commission at the moment due to bad fuel, so cleaning out the injection system but that's my fault not the tractors. Great vehicle to have around on our small holding it just keeps on plugging along, (well it will do when I get it back in running order). spares are easy to come by and its does not need rocket science to work on.

Pros: Everything, for its age its great.
Cons: Not four wheel drive.

Photo Uploads:

4.00 star(s)
Hazelnut

MF165 Massey Ferguson
New Farmers, Old Tractor
Model Year: 1965

We needed a tractor with sufficient HP to run PTO implements. We bought our MF-165 used. It has done the job for us, but we aren't mechanics (yet), so maintenance has been stressful (seems breakdowns happen when the tractor is needed the most), but not unreasonable cost-wise. For being almost 50 years old, our MF-165 runs well, and could be made more reliable if we put the time and money needed into the effort.

Pros: Lots of power.
Cons: Few safety features and covered cab.

4.00 star(s)
murkatau

MF165 Massey Ferguson
1974 MF 165 Non-Multipower
Model Year: 1974

This tractor was purchased new by my son in law's grandfather. Finally ended up on dairy farm loading palm kernel and is in poor condition, but runs and drives okay except for hydraulics working very slowly. I intend to restore this tractor over the next few years and use it on my 5 acre lifestyle block.

Pros: Is plenty big enough for loader work.
Cons: Is an old tractor and needs plenty of TLC.

[ad placeholder]

Massey Ferguson MF165 Owner Pages

View owner pages to see photos, customization and comments about member-owner Massey Ferguson MF165s

Massey Ferguson MF165 Community Rankings

#138 user rating of 1508 50-100 HP Tractors items
#122 Viewed of 1508 50-100 HP Tractors items
#2 discussed of 1508 50-100 HP Tractors items
#933 user rating of 27027 items overall
#943 Viewed of 27027 items overall
#61 discussed of 27027 items overall
#7 Ranking of Most-OwnerPages in 27027 items overall