New Holland TC40 4.30 star(s) (16)

Information, reviews, photos, discussion topics, owner pages, and specifications about the New Holland TC40.
25-50 HP Tractors
1704757224.jpg

About the New Holland TC40

New Holland TC40 Discussions (0)

Here are the most recent TC40 topics from our community.
No discussions tagged.
[ad placeholder]

User Reviews (16)

Read what TractorByNet members think about the New Holland TC40 Subcompact Tractor
44 %
38 %
19 %
0 %
0 %
5.00 star(s)
river rat

TC40 New Holland
New Holland TC40A review
Model Year: 2004

We've just worked our little tractor to death for six years now, doing things well beyond it's rated capacity, in large part. We've accumulated several implements, such as a Bell-Tech hydraulic auger (front-mount), a 36" 3-point stump grinder, brush hog, backhoe attachment, a hydraulic front-mount log splitter and bucket/blades/rakes of all kinds. We've made forks, a boom and brush guard (pictured on another TBN thread) and innumerable other little specialty things to use with it. We have hydraulic run to every corner of the tractor. We've used it for commercial work, landscaping, and any personal task we can think of, and it's never failed to do the job. We don't get stupid with it, and know it's limitations, but if we figure things out beforehand, the tractor will always do it's part. If we ever need to replace it or add another tractor, we'd have no reason to look elsewhere. If they made mag wheels for it, we'd probably have 'em on it!

Pros: It's everything the dealer represented, and then some.
Cons: We haven't found one; and I don't even normally like blue!!

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
markey02

TC40 New Holland
TC40D w/ FEL - Excellent purchase
Model Year: 2001

Only a couple of minor issues and the TC40D has worked just fine. I looked at all three colors of tractors and bought Blue due to New Holland was still honoring the Ford employee discount and I got the most bang for my buck by going blue. Overall I’m very happy with my TC40D. I gave the build quality only 4 stars because of the minor issues which I feel shouldn't happen if it was built better. For example, the cruise control is not working any longer and it is not a fuse. Also the dealer got 3 stars as they did not really play a part in my tractor except for selling it to me. A side note: I really cannot compare the TC40D to the other newer tractors as I have not used any other newer tractor. The only other experiences I have with tractors are from older tractors from the 1960s and older.

Pros: Does everything I need it to and has a comfortable seat
Cons: None really

5.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

TC40 New Holland
TC40DA
Model Year: 2004

Bought used TC40DA. So far have had limited seat time. Like features, like Supersteer and fast/slow HST speed selection. 17LA loader is huge compared to my previous tractor; nice to be able to really move some material. Bought tractor used with 470 hours. So far, due to weather and commitments, have only had about 5 hours on it. Will have to update after more use.

Pros: 40hp, deluxe features
Cons: no seat time yet...

3.00 star(s)
wolfpack2

TC40 New Holland
Engineering, who needs engineering.
Model Year: 2001

When it works, it is a strong tractor and does all that is asked of it, but all the little design flaws add up to a major reliability issue. Below is a list of the things that have failed since I bought the unit new. I would think that this is just an unusual case, but if you do the research you will find most of them are common for this generation of Boomer. 1) Battery splashed acid on radiator and oil cooler destroying both. Less than 50 hours. 2) Wire harness for seat safety switch gets pinched by seat suspension rendering tractor dead in the field. Less than 100 hours. 3) Front ring gear bolts sheared off. Approx. 250 hours but out of warranty. Dealer came through and got NH to repair. 4) Loader joy stick cracked (thanks to this site I caught it before it failed). 5) Park brake switch gets destroyed by bush while mowing a field. Nothing over 1” and I had the buck about 1 foot above the ground. Something snagged the wire harness and destroyed the switch. 6) Steering wheel column seizes and will not longer tilt or telescope. Dealership again comes through and gets NH to cover the parts. I ate the labor. 7) Rear 3 point lift arms bend (soft steel). New Holland paid after dealer pointed them to this site which referenced the silent recall / technical bulletin. 8) Seat suspension (plastic part) fails leaving no suspension at all. 9) Load quick connects leaked from day 1. Became worse around 800 hours. Found they were not tightened properly from the factory. I got over 1 full turn on each after I removed the lines from the tractor because you cannot service them while on the tractor. I still have the spare O-rings just incase they actually do fail. 10) Loader park stand holes become ovaled to the point that the retention pins bent. 11) Turf tires sold with tractor do not have enough load capacity to fully use the loader without fear of blowing them out. Some of these things could be considered normal wear and tear, but when you put them all together, I am nervous about what the future holds. I read in the forums about other major issues, and I seem to have had all of the other common issues already. I have a feeling I will be looking to change colors in the near future. If you read through the other brand forums , you seem to read about people fixing things with their tractor where as the NH and CASE sites seem to be more about fixing their tractors. I guess that FIAT really does stand for Fix It Again Tony.

Pros: Great dealer and good loader capacity
Cons: Poor engineering and reliability

4.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

TC40 New Holland
TC40S 2003 Review
Model Year: 2003

Has been very reliable. Strong engine. Used for digging trenches, grading dirt, clearing lightly wooded/brushy areas, moving rocks, driveway maint., snow clearing, bush hogging. Equipped with 758 BH and 16LA FEL. Backhoe has plenty of power for dirt digging and small stumps. FEL has been good with exception of bores in loader arm wearing for bucket attachment pins. Rear tires are loaded. R4's.

Pros: Good fuel economy, Great forward visibility. Decent power-weight ratio.
Cons: No major complaints.

5.00 star(s)
shady brook

TC40 New Holland
Great Tractor
Model Year: 2003

It has been a great tractor with no major issues, very dependable and comfortable. Factory headlights are some of the best on this size tractor, I have used a friends Kubota 4 years newer than my tractor and was amazed how poor the headlights performed. I also really like the 4 cylinders performance and sound level compared to the 3 cylinder Kubota. The view from the seat is excellent, you can see the entire bucket without standing or leaning left and right. I am not just trying to bash Kubota I think their hydro tranny is much quieter than mine, and although I like the location of my bucket joystick compared to the non cab Kubota location, the Kubota's is smooth and the action plus ability to do 2 actions at once with speed is nice. I also think New Hollands high/low range setup with high/low speed button on the joystick and toggle on the right hand fender control panel an excellent setup for many tasks. I purchased my tractor with the skid steer style quick change plate to be able to swap between my bucket, forks and plow and would highly recommend this setup. It opens up a huge array of attachments to be easily put on your tractor and the difference in money is minimal.

Pros: Great visibility, lighting, engine and ease of use
Cons: transmission noisy, bucket joystick action should be smoother

Photo Uploads:

4.00 star(s)
dlinnes03

TC40 New Holland
NEW HOLLAND TC40
Model Year: 2007

Decent tractor. Pretty strong. I don't like rear fenders on these new Hollands. They crack and split too easily. I've had a TC45, TC26 and this TC40 and all have eventually cracked the fenders. New Holland is pricey to replace the rear fenders -approx. $700.00 ea. Can't even compare to my John Deere which has thick fiberglass fenders. Deere is also much more user friendly. The controls are handier and levers more precise. However they aren't bad tractors!!!

Pros: Yuppie tractor -good resale.
Cons: Rear fenders are flimsy and not well supported. They crack easily.

5.00 star(s)
AJ07

TC40 New Holland
New Holland TC40A
Model Year: 2005

Just bought a used NH TC40A 4WD with a FEL. I have only put about 25 hours on my tractor and am really pleased with it. Although I have the TC40A(shuttle shift) I still love it. The entire loader is very easy to remove. I have had no problems with it so far and would recommend it to anyone. Pics to come.

Pros: Easy FEL/bucket removal.
Cons: No drink holder.

4.00 star(s)
camo308

TC40 New Holland
NH TC40DA
Model Year: 2005

Bought this tractor used with 300 hrs, a loader and a backhoe. So far it's worked okay. The Hydrostatic trans seems to be slipping in high range but not all the time. I've used it for a couple of months though with no problems at all. I'm going to take it to the dealer for a checkup and get the full service on it.

Pros: Controls are convienient and easy to operate.
Cons: Trans is slipping a bit when it's warm.

3.00 star(s)
jmatarese

TC40 New Holland
New Holland TC40DA
Model Year: 2007

I've had many problems from day one. Very poor dealer experience. Down for 3 months with no factory help. Complained to new Holland top care (they were good) with no avail. Now for sale.

Pros: Nice color.
Cons: Poor service. Not reliable.

[ad placeholder]

New Holland TC40 Owner Pages

View owner pages to see photos, customization and comments about member-owner New Holland TC40s

New Holland TC40 Community Rankings

#492 user rating of 2355 25-50 HP Tractors items
#159 Viewed of 2355 25-50 HP Tractors items
#31 discussed of 2355 25-50 HP Tractors items
#1245 user rating of 27027 items overall
#594 Viewed of 27027 items overall
#61 discussed of 27027 items overall
#7 Ranking of Most-OwnerPages in 27027 items overall