Grading Rear Blade Recomendation

/ Rear Blade Recomendation #1  

Underdog57

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4041H
I am a new owner of a LS R4041H and shopping for a good rear blade. The tires are 6' apart, is a 7' blade the proper size when angled? I will mainly be plowing snow, grading driveway and some scraping in the woods. Suggestions on make & Model #s would be appreciated, Also any body have any experience with "Everything implements Super Value Blade" ? It looked like a pretty good set-up. Thanks

/ Rear Blade Recomendation #2  
Get an 8' blade because when angled 45 degrees, the width will cover your tire tracks. I don't recommend using a blade for a gravel driveway because it will turn into a roller coaster unless you get one with gauge wheels on it and you can let it float.

I use a tined 'York rake' (Actually made by Arps) for the gravel. Its 8' and a 45 degree angle with gauge wheels and floating hitch allows you to crown the driveway and get it perfectly smooth. I have a 7' box blade and have owned a 7' rear blade. They can be made to work but the quality of the gravel distribution is so much better with the close tined rake. It picks out the gravel and leaves the dirt. Otherwise you wind up with a dirt and gravel driveway.

For snow I use an old 8' truck plow adapted to a front mount and utilizing the loader hydraulics. Both work perfectly for their intended purpose.

/ Rear Blade Recomendation #3  
A 7' blade will be a good match. My tractor is also 6' wide and I have a 7' Blade. A Woods HBL84, Tufline GB4-84, Everything Attachment extreme duty blade or any probably any blade that is 550+lbs. The EA value blade will not be enough for your tractor.

I have a Woods HBL84.

Last edited:
   / Rear Blade Recomendation #4  
I wouldn't go any smaller than 7', and 500+lbs. I'm actually shopping for a blade as well, and I think the EA Extreme is a nice balance of price, features, and weight. There is a crazy heavy 8' blade on CL that I've been trying to go take a look at, but I've been tied up with other projects the last few weeks. I'm really wavering between 7' and 8'…but I'm leaning towards 8.

/ Rear Blade Recomendation
If a 7' will cover my tracks When angled I would go with the 7' because I do a lot of work in the woods and get into some tight places. I seen a heavy duty TRI Red 7' on EA Web site , 445 lbs. for $898. What do you guys think?

/ Rear Blade Recomendation #6  
A 7' blade will be a good match. My tractor is also 6' wide and I have a 7' Blade. A Woods HBL84, Tufline GB4-84, Everything Attachment extreme duty blade or any probably any blade that is 550+lbs. The EA value blade will not be enough for your tractor.

94Bullitt hit the nail right on the head! Don't go light duty, soon as you use it in the dirt and catch a root on the corner you will tweak something. The 7' will also work well.
Also to do snow on gravel, run the blade backwards and it won't tear it up at all. Been doing our ½ gravel driveway for years and never had the slightest problem with tearing up the gravel at all.

/ Rear Blade Recomendation #7  
If a 7' will cover my tracks When angled I would go with the 7' because I do a lot of work in the woods and get into some tight places. I seen a heavy duty TRI Red 7' on EA Web site , 445 lbs. for $898. What do you guys think?

Just bought a TRI 7' HD blade at the auction for my buddy a few weeks ago for $325, I paid $700 about 2 years ago for mine new (same one) - been a GREAT blade and has done a TON of dirt work as well as snow.

/ Rear Blade Recomendation #8  
... I don't recommend using a blade for a gravel driveway because it will turn into a roller coaster ...

Not all blades are the same...I use an old heavy M.F. blade and one of the easiest things I do with it is turn "roller coaster" gravel roads into pancake flat lanes...I do this with the blade reversed without any gauge wheels...the pitch and the weight of the blade is the key...

/ Rear Blade Recomendation #9  
I wouldn't go any smaller than 7', and 500+lbs. I'm actually shopping for a blade as well, and I think the EA Extreme is a nice balance of price, features, and weight. There is a crazy heavy 8' blade on CL that I've been trying to go take a look at, but I've been tied up with other projects the last few weeks. I'm really wavering between 7' and 8'…but I'm leaning towards 8.

I would stick with a 7' blade unless you step up to a heavy duty 8' like this. RBT35 Series Rear Blades | Land Pride

I had a 6' Tufline GB472 when I had the Bobcat. It weighed 550lbs. After I got the L4240 I wanted a 7' blade and I ran on to a Woods HBL84 and it weighs 550lbs. At a quick glance the blades looked identical but they were completely different. I guess somebody copied somebodies design. Going from a 6' to a 7' blade I can tell that the blade is weaker, you have more leverage. I can also tell a difference in how the blade cuts. The old 6' blade was more pounds per foot. A 8' blade of this style would be weaker and I would not want one on a tractor this size. A 8' blade would not weigh as much per foot either. If you want a 8' blade I would step up to some like this. RBT35 Series Rear Blades | Land Pride

It looks like they only have a 8' left in stock. For a little more money you can get their Extreme blade which is way more blade. Everything Attachments XTreme Duty 6 way Tractor Scrape Blade

/ Rear Blade Recomendation #10  
Get yourself one of these ;)

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums//showthread.php?t=291559

ForumRunner_20131110_000124.png