PT-429

/ PT-429 #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
Several years ago there was a 422 owner that swapped out his 22hp Robin with a 29hp liquid cooled Kawasaki. I remember reading after seven hours on the machine the tran pump went and he just gave up on it. I remember he said it would start right up in zero degree weather and had much more power than the original 22 hp Robin. Anyone remember this thread? Would love to swap out my 22 hp for a 29 hp Kawasaki. What are your thoughts on it?

/ PT-429 #3  
A friend of mine and I went up to NY and he bought it years ago and it is still running . He made several changes to it and I don't believe he has had problems with it since. He is a very good mechanic and can work on just about anything.

/ PT-429
Thanks JJ for the links. It appears there is a lot more room in the tub with the Kawasaki then with the Robin. Why can this engine start in seconds with freezing temperatures. I would love to put the kawasaki in my 422. I am a you tube - monkey see - monkey do- mechanic at best.

/ PT-429
ernemats, you have a 422 and you have seen the 429, if your Robin died, would you convert it to the Kawasaki?

/ PT-429 #6  
I would like to see if one of those 2 cylinder Chinese diesels would fit in the tub of a PT. I wonder how they start in the cold?

/ PT-429 #7  
...if your Robin died, would you convert it to the Kawasaki?

As a minimum, I think I would stick in the Robin Fuel Injected 27HP engine (same dimensions), a no-brainer (if you have the extra $$$)

The water cooled upgrade would be a bit more of a challenge, but I think knowing in advance some of the pitfalls associated with shoe-horning it into the tub may make it go smoother.

I would like the extra power, the 22HP is just a bit too light-weight for brush hogging.

/ PT-429 #8  
No I don't think I would want to go to the modifications needed to convert and besides I am happy with the power of the 22hp Subaru and I also have a spare 22 hp Subaru to put in if needed.

/ PT-429 #9  
A friend of mine and I went up to NY and he bought it years ago and it is still running . He made several changes to it and I don't believe he has had problems with it since. He is a very good mechanic and can work on just about anything.

I am glad you rescued that machine. The guy did so much to it and then gave up from one problem. It seemed a shame.

/ PT-429 #10  
The guy did so much to it and then gave up from one problem.
I suspect it was the case of the straw the broke the camel's back. I think we only caught glimpses of moments of the work that went into this thing.

It wasn't "one problem", it was just the last problem.