NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE

/ NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE #1  

ldabe

Gold Member
Tractor
PT-422 2002 Robin eng.
Hey guys, since I cannot get a hold of Predator Trac for him to possibly nurse me along on a change over to "electric", I am looking to buy a new engine for my PT422 (old/current Robin 22 hp engine needs to be replaced).

I think this PT was new around 2000. I am the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner didn't have it very long when I purchased it from him in 2006. I got the PT422, 48" bucket, mower deck, and a 5'x10' trailer in 2006 for $6200.

I called Terry at Power Trac and he said the PRICE for a 22hp Robin plus shipping, is $2,260.11.
(I'm assuming that is for a "new" engine.)

Is that a decent price?
Could I get it somewhere else cheaper?

Also, if I change out the engine, does anyone recommend changing out or replacing/ upgrading anything else at the same time?

I have had a couple problems with the wiring harness, so would this be the time to replace it, and if so, where could I buy one, and do you know the approximate price?

As always, thanks in advance to anyone and everyone for any input.
PT Forum guys are the greatest.

/ NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE #2  
Price seems high, BUT
A quick google search doesn’t show anyone having one in stock at a lower price.
I would bet that the engine at PowerTrac is NOS. New but old stock.
As far as wiring harness, if you are meaning wiring on the machine, PowerTrac would be your only option.

/ NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE #3  
Price seems high, BUT
I don't think Robin engines are being made any longer...so then yes, it would be NOS.

SR

/ NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE #4  
Funny. I'd never heard much about Robin engines when I got my field mower with one about 10 years ago. Only has about 100 or so hours on it and seems to run fine.

Do you need a vertical or horizontal shaft? HF has Predator 22HP V Twins in either style for under $900, but they seem to be in short supply.

/ NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE
Price seems high, BUT
As far as wiring harness, if you are meaning wiring on the machine, PowerTrac would be your only option.
Thanks for the info.

/ NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE
I don't think Robin engines are being made any longer...so then yes, it would be NOS.

SR
I don't think so either, thought about a different brand engine, but that would take some fabricating.

/ NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE
Funny. I'd never heard much about Robin engines when I got my field mower with one about 10 years ago. Only has about 100 or so hours on it and seems to run fine.

Do you need a vertical or horizontal shaft? HF has Predator 22HP V Twins in either style for under $900, but they seem to be in short supply.
I read that someone else used a HF engine but had to do some fabricating to make it work, and if I remember correctly the engine didn't last very long.

/ NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE #8  
I don't have to do much with Robin, but so far there are parts. Yamaha bought some of the Robin stuff, dunno where it goes from here.

/ NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE #9  
Yamaha bought a couple designs, Kubota bought a couple and the rest went to a chinese firm.

SR

/ NEW 22 HP ROBIN ENGINE #10  
For me, I would put a 25 hp Kohler in it and be done with it. no big deal. They would have the same pumps as the same age 425. Take a couple of pics of the engine and the pump set up....... Guys on here can help you get the right engine...... Jim