Total welding newie here

/ Total welding newie here #1  

Carol in CA

Tractor
John Deere 400
I want to learn how to wire weld. Suggestions for on-line instruction? Tried to find a mentor. No luck. Classes offered are for folks looking to make a career of welding. I'm just a wannabe with a few hobby projects.

Also looking at the newest Everlast weld. Thoughts?

I just picked up a lumber rack for my truck that needs work. Would that be a good beginner project? It needs legs and two crossbars. Welding quote was $250 including material. Yikes!

/ Total welding newie here #2  
I suggest you stay away from the 120-volt Mig machines! Get a 220-volt machine. For general fab work .035" wire is really nice size to use.

/ Total welding newie here #3  
Here's a short clip from some of the best made welding videos out there

GMAW Mig Welding | Wire Feed Welding - YouTube

Each course (mig, stick, gas, etc) runs about $25, the photography is clear enough you can actually tell what he's talking about - if that's not what you're looking for, here's a free site for ANY type of welding by a guy who does it all

Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

Or, you could move to Tacoma - Shield has been known to help a newby or three :D ...Steve

/ Total welding newie here #4  
I'm using a 120v unit and I've worked on my box blade on my Mahindra and the mower deck on my garden tractor along with other things. I've got 220 in my outside building, but since I only work on light items I saw no reason for a 220 unit. Besides everyone has a 120 volt outlet if you have to help someone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TractorByNet

/ Total welding newie here #5  
<snip>

I just picked up a lumber rack for my truck that needs work. Would that be a good beginner project? It needs legs and two crossbars. Welding quote was $250 including material. Yikes!
I'm surprised no one told you no for a beginner project. I've no experience and am pretty darn sure you should not make your first project something that might damage something or someone if it fails. A lumber rack under load at highway speed is such a thing.

/ Total welding newie here #6  
watch the videos ( youtube etc ) watch ARC and MIG ....

check out some of the trade schools or continuing education classes at community colleges ....you have a ready made "class project " for any of them ( offer to pay for materials if the class does the welding ) ... buy a helmet and offer to sit and watch while they do the "work" .... the class instructor will make sure it's done right .....

/ Total welding newie here #7  
ChuckE2009 is an enthusiastic fellow who can show you some good tips.

/ Total welding newie here #8  
I learned on a 110 volt Lincoln SP 135 running flux core .035 wire. Good and simple way to practive and perform some lighter tasks. I have several welders and still use a small 110 volt mig machine fairly often. The last time I used it was welding some supports on my satellite dish so it would not wobble in the wind. Threw it in the bucket and plugged it in and we were good to go. Plenty of good machines out there with some of the nicer ones being able to operate on 110 and 220v outlets which as was said earlier can be important as you more to bigger proejcts.

Another way to learn some important basics is to buy a simple oxy welding outfit and learn to control heat and add material. I know some guys who got a oxy welder and a handful of coat hangers to learn basic welding out on the farm.

There is also a book called the "welders handbook" by Richard Finch that is a good piece of information to have. Touches on the basics of each process without turniing it into a novel.

/ Total welding newie here #9  
I will second the 220v idea. I have never had a machine that had more power than I could control (have a 565 amp machine that I can weld sheet metal with) but most of the 115v wire welders peter out around 1/4" and even then only good for 30% duty cycle.

Easy to learn on more machine than you need, much harder to learn with a machine you are asking more out of it than it can do.

/ Total welding newie here #10  
A lumber rack is a good first project. That said, you need to learn how to do a proper weld before you jump into your first project. I think you'll need at least a couple weeks practice. I'd also recommend getting a 220 machine so you have the capacity for bigger projects once you get more proficient. Solid wire with shielding gas is fairly easy to learn and has way less smoke than flux-core. People on here seem to really like their Everlast welders and Mark is very helpful to boot.