HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!!

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #11  
I have one of the first 00 series Mahindra's. 1000 hours and lots of heat later I have had no issues with mine. Hope I'm not jinxing myself here!

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!!
My thinking (hope) is that the subject tubing still has sufficient lengths left exposed to allow heat radiation and subsequent cooling. Heat shield? Heat re-radiator. Heck, I can barely get a finger between one line and the exhaust, and can't get one in at all between the reservoir and exhaust. The aluminum that I had previously wrapped (without insulation) was supposed to be a heat shield. There just appears to be too much crowding of hydraulic lines and components around the highest heat source on the tractor. On a related topic I have owned two BBQ smokers that I have insulated in a similar manner but with less insulation, and I have run them to 300 F and you can easily place your hand on the aluminum foil exterior that covers the fiberglass insulation. The proof is in the pudding, however---I am going to measure reservoir temperature with a thermometer (specific details pending) and also use my hand-held infrared thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature of the tubing. I want to avoid the remedy that Transit took---that is the stuff that my nightmares are made of......

jwcinpk, I hear you---this is one club you DON'T want to join! Why some tractors have the failure and others don't, I can't explain.

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #13  
How about an inline cooler with 12v fan?

That would seem by far easiest solution?

Good luck guys and I feel for you what a sucky situation

Have you reached out to Wallace?

Joel

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #14  
Unfortunately, I purchased a 2004 4500 4wd new. Since then I have had 2 engine rebuilds. Last one just this year and NOW have a total of 308 hours!

It gets better though. NOW my HSU is belching fluid as yours. Can you direct me on how to "repair" this as the $84.5.00 repair bill on my last engine has "broke" me of my mad money.

When I purchased my 4500 I immediately saw that the close proximity of hydraulic lines to the exhaust manifold was a problem, so I wrapped them in foil to reflect the heat (photo 1). The power steering reservoir literally sits right above the exhaust and manifold with barely a finger's width clearance. There is a line below the manifold also with little clearance to this extreme heat source. Living in Texas I had hoped that M&M would know about designing equipment for hot climates but this almost looks like it was intentionally designed as a heat exchanger!

Fast forward 160 hours (!!!!) and last week when I suddenly had fluid coming out the top of my steering column. In a fun filled weekend I managed to remove the HSU and replace the shaft pressure seal and found that the old one was burned, brittle---toasted (photo 2; old and new seal).

I have subsequently wrapped everything in fiberglass insulation and heavy duty aluminum foil secured with SS wire (photo 3). If your tractor has this design problem and you replace the seal without addressing the root cause......be prepared to do it again.

Shame on M&M; my bad for not realizing the severity of the problem and addressing it accordingly before this.

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #15  
There is an updated HSU for the machine. Even with the ones that have been rebuilt iv not seen it happen twice. Filling up with a different fluid helps also

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #16  
Thanks so much Navasot. I DID check into the new HSU at local dealer....$750 for part. I went to the local hydraulic repair shop here in town and bought the rebuild kit for $19.50. Wish me luck.

What type of fluid do you suggest? I was planning on replacing with new Dexron lll ?

Thanks again

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #17  
From hearing your ability thats the better move imo. Really the only seal that goes bad is the top white one 90% of the time. Even if it happens again but dout it its an easy fix to someone who knows what they are doing. Use your own judgment but I put ATF in mine. There is also a small filter inside the housing you may check it while your messing with everything.

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #18  
Definitely will check it out.
Thanks again for the help.

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #19  
Anytime goodluck with the fix

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #20  
When I purchased my 4500 I immediately saw that the close proximity of hydraulic lines to the exhaust manifold was a problem, so I wrapped them in foil to reflect the heat (photo 1). The power steering reservoir literally sits right above the exhaust and manifold with barely a finger's width clearance. There is a line below the manifold also with little clearance to this extreme heat source. Living in Texas I had hoped that M&M would know about designing equipment for hot climates but this almost looks like it was intentionally designed as a heat exchanger!

Fast forward 160 hours (!!!!) and last week when I suddenly had fluid coming out the top of my steering column. In a fun filled weekend I managed to remove the HSU and replace the shaft pressure seal and found that the old one was burned, brittle---toasted (photo 2; old and new seal).

I have subsequently wrapped everything in fiberglass insulation and heavy duty aluminum foil secured with SS wire (photo 3). If your tractor has this design problem and you replace the seal without addressing the root cause......be prepared to do it again.

Shame on M&M; my bad for not realizing the severity of the problem and addressing it accordingly before this.
HI: MAravane> I have read your story about the Mahindra 4500 HSU flex 4 steering box. I also have a 4500, and had the steering fluid leaking from under my tractor steering wheel. I myself took the HSU unit off the tractor, it was a job. mostly getting to the steering fluid line bolts connected to the HSU. The shop repaired the leak on the hSU, after I reinstalled the HSU back on the tractor, and after driving the tractor, I notice my front wheel will not make sharp turns, but will make wild turns. So I thinking maybe I did not reinstall/reline the tractor steering wheel rod that fits over the HSU flex 4 unit correctly, and this may was causing my tractor to not make sharp turns.. Well I put up with this a while continued using my tractor and just made wide turns. Now I notice after my tractor sits over night, and I start it up the next day, the tractor runs a little while and makes sharp turns after sitting over night. But after driving the tractor a little while, the steering become stiff and I can turn the steering wheel around and around and the front wheels will not turn at all. Than I began to hear something frying or boiling, that appear to be coming from the HSU flex 4 unit. WHAT ELSE COULD THIS BE???? Now my HSU is back in the shop, and about to cost me a good rebuild the flex 4 price. My question to you is : are you stating because the Power steering fluid box being build and designed over the engine manifold keeps the steering fluid hot, that is the root of the HSU flex 4 unit seals burning and causing a leak . If so when I get my flex 4 unit back from the shop that is being rebuild, not just seal replaced, will again leak again?????????