When is a Grapple a Tree Shear?

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #101  
The marketers for the gorilla grapple pulled a fast one. They used the number for cylinder force for a 4" cylinder at 3000 pounds and indicated that this is the force at the ends of the tines. However, based on the dimensions you shared, the force at the end of the tines is on average about 1/5th of the cylinder force, or about 7500 pounds. The force would vary through the the arc as the cylinder angle changes.

I think that's a common marketing practice. To get the cylinder force at the ends of the tines the cylinder stroke would have to be the same length as their travel distance?? At least I think that's right??

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #102  
XFax started this thread to show off his equipment and show his pictures. I think it's pretty disrespectful to come right out and start giving him a hard time for posting pictures online of his equipment. If you don't want to look at them, no one is forcing you to open his thread.

Personally, I think if you post too many non relevant pictures/info in someone else's thread, then there is justification to call someone out on it within reason, however, if you guys have a problem with him starting his own thread and posting pics, then I think that is quite disrespectful. This is just my own opinion and take that for what it's worth.

If you guys aren't aware, there is an "ignore" option that will block you from seeing all of someones posts.

And what has been your contribution to this thread?? ;)

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #103  
Derek, I'm assuming they are just as prolific in VA as they are in MO???? :(

Probably so, you can count on them taking over fence rows and rocky areas if left unattended.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #104  
WOW you children amaze me ! XFAX Can take pictures , post them , and obviously works very hard . What works for him , works for him ! Richard , 4750 , dt 86, you need to find someone else to pick on . I AM RIGHT HERE .

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #105  
And by the way undrszd is that your grader you keep showing off ? No, it is the township machine . Really did enjoy your posts till lately .

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear?
The reason that I started this thread was because I had never seen any pictures of a grapple shearing a tree trunk.

This happened unplanned, I was headed up the trail to extend the other end further up the deep creek.

I came to the fallen dead tree in the first picture, knew it would be difficult to get to it from either side to pull it out of the way. Then I remembered the outlandish crushing power claims by the manufacturer and decided to see what would happen if I tried to crush it with one tine. So I posted the pictures. :shocked:

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #107  
. So I posted the pictures. :shocked:

I'm glad you did Dennis. By the way, reading through this thread and looking at the photos gave me an idea. I wonder how difficult it would be to rig up a hydraulic chainsaw on the edge of my grapple.

I'm picturing something like a wood processor bar/chain setup, that would be able to mount/dismount to the right edge of the grapple frame, then when clearing trees, knock the tree over, grab it in the grapple, activate the chainsaw using a rear remote, cutting the tree into a section as wide as the grapple, then repeat.

Seems it would quickly cut long trees into manageable sections to carry through the woods. I know you wouldn't have much use for it but in the thick New England woods I live in it could be a pretty cool addition to the grapple!

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #108  
WOW you children amaze me ! XFAX Can take pictures , post them , and obviously works very hard . What works for him , works for him ! Richard , 4750 , dt 86, you need to find someone else to pick on . I AM RIGHT HERE .

Kevin, I didn't know I was picking on anyone. If Xfaxman thought I was picking on him he would defend himself. Him and I have had several debates about things. I don't take it personal. I'm pretty sure he doesn't. If he does all he has to do is say so and I will immediately apologize. Actually I think I already have apologized to him in this thread.

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT WHAT???

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #109  
And by the way undrszd is that your grader you keep showing off ? No, it is the township machine . Really did enjoy your posts till lately .

I'm surprised you are lowering yourself to calling me names and accusing me of showing off. Not sure what that is all about.

Now you are being personal in your comments. I got it.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear?
I'm glad you did Dennis. By the way, reading through this thread and looking at the photos gave me an idea. I wonder how difficult it would be to rig up a hydraulic chainsaw on the edge of my grapple.

I'm picturing something like a wood processor bar/chain setup, that would be able to mount/dismount to the right edge of the grapple frame, then when clearing trees, knock the tree over, grab it in the grapple, activate the chainsaw using a rear remote, cutting the tree into a section as wide as the grapple, then repeat.

Seems it would quickly cut long trees into manageable sections to carry through the woods. I know you wouldn't have much use for it but in the thick New England woods I live in it could be a pretty cool addition to the grapple!

I have seen something like that on a bucket, maybe someone will remember it.