When is a Grapple a Tree Shear?

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #121  
I do like how the "teeth" overlap - I can see where there could be some advantages to that!
Thanks for sharing. I alway enjoy looking at all the photos and seeing what people are doing with their machines.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #122  
WOW you children amaze me ! XFAX Can take pictures , post them , and obviously works very hard . What works for him , works for him ! Richard , 4750 , dt 86, you need to find someone else to pick on . I AM RIGHT HERE .
I didn't know we were "picking" on anyone. I don't think Xfaxman or anyone else feels that way. You are the one acting childish and called names. I have taken some flack before ( ok not 9 pages worth), and I didn't feel like anyone was picking on me. There are full on knock down drag outs that go on here all the time. The First thing that comes to mind would be anything that involves drones and the single lid VS duel lid grapple debate.

Last edited:
   / When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #123  
The limbinator?

That's it!

Basically take the limbinator, but mount the saw to the edge of the bucket (so it isn't sticking up in the air) and have it function like it would on a firewood processor, where when you open the flow to the hydrualic motor, it spins up the chain, and then pivots the bar down, cutting the log as it goes, then when you shut flow off, it returns back up.

SO, pretty much a combination of the Limbinator and a firewood processor bar. Sounds expensive. :D

maxresdefault.jpg

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #124  
WOW you children amaze me ! XFAX Can take pictures , post them , and obviously works very hard . What works for him , works for him ! Richard , 4750 , dt 86, you need to find someone else to pick on . I AM RIGHT HERE .

Easy dude.

I ribbed faxman for doing things differently than myself, which was intended as good old fashion funnin. I hope he knew that. If we all did things the same it'd be a pretty boring world.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear?
The marketers for the gorilla grapple pulled a fast one. They used the number for cylinder force for a 4" cylinder at 3000 pounds and indicated that this is the force at the ends of the tines. However, based on the dimensions you shared, the force at the end of the tines is on average about 1/5th of the cylinder force, or about 7500 pounds. The force would vary through the the arc as the cylinder angle changes.

I think that's a common marketing practice. To get the cylinder force at the ends of the tines the cylinder stroke would have to be the same length as their travel distance?? At least I think that's right??
Well I just heard back from Sidney Mfg., gladehound is right, it is 7204 pounds.

gg1.JPG

ggtf.JPG

All I know is, it is strong enough to do whatever I have needed it to do. :thumbsup:

Had to be careful not to crush the concrete, when picking it up.

P6140060.JPG

P6140064.JPG

Had to be careful not to break this one, so I didn't close the tines down tight on it.

P6140074.JPG

Last edited:
   / When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #126  
What is that little dump machine - looks neat

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #128  
How many scoops does it take to fill it.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #130  
Does the V417 have the traction to completely fill the bucket in dry dirt?