Everlast PowerArc 160

/ Everlast PowerArc 160
Huh I felt it was pretty mediocre been awhile since I walked a cup.

uploadfromtaptalk1462322011114.jpg

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #43  
People really don't understand how nice these units are for the price and what you can do with it. Weld quality is professional quality. You won't do that nice with a tombstone I don't think...TIG anyway.

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #44  
Mark, are there more of these available? I do have a MM180 MIG machine, and an ancient A/C only buzz-box that I bought in 1980. I don't use it for much anymore, and probably don't need more than the Miller, but a new Everlast A/C & D/C stick plus, would be pretty cool.

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #45  
People really don't understand how nice these units are for the price and what you can do with it. Weld quality is professional quality. You won't do that nice with a tombstone I don't think...TIG anyway.

I've only used mine a little bit. So far I'm VERY happy with the smoothness of my welds using E6011 rods. The 1 amp step adjustments are a big change from my tombstone.

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #46  
I've only used mine a little bit. So far I'm VERY happy with the smoothness of my welds using E6011 rods. The 1 amp step adjustments are a big change from my tombstone.

The 1 amp steps are even more important if you want to do some scratch start TIG with it.

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #47  
Hey Mark, just want to doublecheck something I noticed on my new-to-me PA160 (thank you): It is marked for 240 only, no 120 input option listed...is this feature only on the newer versions of the PA140/160/200 (my suspicion) or is my unit capable of it, but is just not marked that way?

Trying to figure out if I need to make a new dryer cord or if I can run it on a 20A 120 outlet.

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #48  
Hey Mark, just want to doublecheck something I noticed on my new-to-me PA160 (thank you): It is marked for 240 only, no 120 input option listed...is this feature only on the newer versions of the PA140/160/200 (my suspicion) or is my unit capable of it, but is just not marked that way?

Trying to figure out if I need to make a new dryer cord or if I can run it on a 20A 120 outlet.

The original PA160 is 220-240 volts only. There is no provision for 110-120 volt operation.

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #49  
Thanks, that was what I suspected from the label.

Would have been nice to realize that earlier, running from my 120-only generator would have been a nice benefit...maybe I'll pick up a newer PA140 yet.

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #50  
James is correct. The 160 is 240 V only. There are adapters that you can buy ready made to convert a 14-50 receptacle into a welder plug. But with these as they are, without a plug if you only (and I mean only) have a 14 50 or some other type plug, you can make one up to match from HD, or Lowe's, and drop the neutral, just use the green for the ground. White and black should go to the hot. Don't confuse a welder white wire with the dryer's white wire as that is the neutral. The white should go to the red terminal, and the black to the black. I don't typically give out wiring information publicly like this because it is confusing and so many people can misread it and there are those that have "exceptions". But, I want to give the best info I have.

I probably should mention something here, as it has been an issue in the past and people claim we have falsely advertised the older 160, 200 and 300 units as being scratch start TIG capable. First, these units, as have been shown , are TIG capable, but don't expect these units to go down to 5 amps or something. They aren't for low end TIG welding. We've had customers buy them and then say we didn't tell them it wouldn't do low amp TIG welding, which apparently is what they bought them for. If you need to weld 30 amps or less with TIG, move on. Second, these units have built in arc force control which does boost the amps off the base amperage while welding so the amps will vary some what according to the arc length. And third, no these will not weld aluminum, IF you are buying it to weld aluminum. These are DC. Yes, technically you can weld aluminum with DC, but if you are buying it to weld aluminum in DC and have no experience with TIG, don't buy it. But as you can see from various members posts, they can and will TIG weld in DC and do a passable job. If you need super controlled TIG parameters you might want to pass on these units. We do have TIG specific welders that can do that, though.