Miller Dialarc

/ Miller Dialarc #31  
A given diameter of aluminum has more resistance & less current carrying capacity than equal copper. So aluminum wire needs to be bigger than copper. But aluminum is cheaper than copper so bigger aluminum is often ran.

At any rate if there is any doubt in your mind, get an electrician to make sure all the wire, plugs & sockets are properly rated. Might cost a few bucks, but it's cheaper than a funeral or new house.

One advantage welding cable has is you are generally holding onto it. So if it gets hot enough to catch fire your hand burned up already.

/ Miller Dialarc #32  
20170611_082534.jpg

Someone years ago stuck some masking tape above the dial, got some of it of tonight. So finally got a chance to try this Miller out with 3/16, 6011 on AC, not really understanding the the numbers on this, first started with right lever in middle, dial on 0, not enough heat so moved dial all the way up to 100, still not quite enough, then moved right lever all way up put dial on 50, that was enough heat, moved to 60 and that was plenty.

So if the right lever is all way up, 140/310 and the dial is on 60, is that 200 welding amps? and where is my target 250 amp that I'm looking for? The 310 amp I think has to be hooked up to 480 entrance, the most I'm looking for is 250 amps

Stuck the rod once after several rods when the dial was on 50 and right lever all way up and it tripped the 50 amp breaker, so later on I'll get a bigger 100 amp breaker and outlet, the garage has a 200 amp entrance so should be all set there. The way it is now probably be all set if I use 5/32 or smaller rods, it was kinda nice after four years to run some stick rods again.

/ Miller Dialarc #33  
View attachment 513005

Someone years ago stuck some masking tape above the dial, got some of it of tonight. So finally got a chance to try this Miller out with 3/16, 6011 on AC, not really understanding the the numbers on this, first started with right lever in middle, dial on 0, not enough heat so moved dial all the way up to 100, still not quite enough, then moved right lever all way up put dial on 50, that was enough heat, moved to 60 and that was plenty.

So if the right lever is all way up, 140/310 and the dial is on 60, is that 200 welding amps? and where is my target 250 amp that I'm looking for? The 310 amp I think has to be hooked up to 480 entrance, the most I'm looking for is 250 amps

Stuck the rod once after several rods when the dial was on 50 and right lever all way up and it tripped the 50 amp breaker, so later on I'll get a bigger 100 amp breaker and outlet, the garage has a 200 amp entrance so should be all set there. The way it is now probably be all set if I use 5/32 or smaller rods, it was kinda nice after four years to run some stick rods again.

That setting 140/310 has a 170 amp range. This means at zero it's 140 amps, at 100 it's 310 amps.

Going from zero to "10" will add 17 amps in this case. Counting up will get you your answers.

Or, the math behind it is to use the dial as percentage of the range.

140 + 170(.65) = 250.5 amps.

So turn your dial to about 65 and you have your 250 amps.

Your machine will give you full amperage even on your 200 vac input.

For all of the above to be accurate, you have to make sure your input "jumpers" on the bar where you hook up your main power are in the right location.

Did you make sure that they are correct? There is generally a little diagram under the lid to show where the "'jumpers" go.

/ Miller Dialarc #34  
That setting 140/310 has a 170 amp range. This means at zero it's 140 amps, at 100 it's 310 amps.

Going from zero to "10" will add 17 amps in this case. Counting up will get you your answers.

Or, the math behind it is to use the dial as percentage of the range.

140 + 170(.65) = 250.5 amps.

So turn your dial to about 65 and you have your 250 amps.

Your machine will give you full amperage even on your 200 vac input.

For all of the above to be accurate, you have to make sure your input "jumpers" on the bar where you hook up your main power are in the right location.

Did you make sure that they are correct? There is generally a little diagram under the lid to show where the "'jumpers" go.

Guy at work was telling the same thing, take the 310-140=the>170 percent range, then take the 17 and that will take the place in the 10 spot on the dial then move to the 20 spot, add another 17, 30> another 17, 40> another 17 amps.........then this all changes to another number when the levers is moved to another range setting. I can see right now that one has to be a mathematician to use this Miller dialarc, later on I'll make a chart in the form of that dial, with all the percent numbers written down.

Are you talking about the wiring inside the welder, all's I know is someone ran the main input power cable to a added on switch box on the outside of the welder, and from that switch box is the 220 volt power cord, ten ft long and that is plugged in a 50 amp 220 volt outlet. I was told to be able to run this on full 440 power, wires have to re-arranged inside, so I'm assuming if it's wired for 440, it wont run on 220. But what/where is the LID you think the wiring diagram is on so I can check, where the main power cord comes out?

/ Miller Dialarc #35  
What I need is the owner's manual for this 1987 Miller dialarc, Talking to another guy at work yesterday who has the same Miller with the twin levers and has an owners manual, said it's almost a inch thick, he wired his direct to his breaker panel on a 100 amp breaker. But my breaker panel is 25' away, so I need an outlet. Besides I want my breaker rated under my 100 amp cable so I dont melt the cable but need more than 50, something like 60 or 70 amp. but the oulet, not sure if they make a 70 amp outlet or 100 amp, might have to stay with the 50 amp outlet, that's what I had before and it seems to be heavy duty to me.

I've been trying to rethink/remember what I used to have four years ago on my Century 250 amp welder, what I know is I had 100 amp in my house, from that a 60 amp breaker I ran heavy 100 amp cable to the garage, 70 ft. away into an old style fuse box, think it was 60 amp, it had 4 of those round 3" long old style fuses and 4 of those smaller round screw in fuses, so I'm thinking two of the round 3" long fuses was rated for 30 amp each that I had the welder hooked on, dont think they was 25 ea. but cant remember, and I dont remember tripping the breaker or blowing fuses, but I must of come close on a 60 amp old style fuse box.

/ Miller Dialarc #36  
Just take off this side panel and check the little jumpers.
It will look like this picture and have a label inside under the cover.
Just unbolt them to move them to match the incoming service voltage you have at your place.

If you have 200 vac input at your place, it would be the one on the left for example - full machine output amperage will be available as long as your panel has the right breaker and cable feeding the machine.

Miller has your actual owners manual available online for free at millerwelds.com

image.png

/ Miller Dialarc #39  
Just take off this side panel and check the little jumpers.
It will look like this picture and have a label inside under the cover.
Just unbolt them to move them to match the incoming service voltage you have at your place.

If you have 200 vac input at your place, it would be the one on the left for example - full machine output amperage will be available as long as your panel has the right breaker and cable feeding the machine.

Miller has your actual owners manual available online for free at millerwelds.com

View attachment 513084

My Miller jumpers check out like that diagram, set for 200 volts. But why does it have a 200 volt setting when my house and garage has 220 incoming volts? Is 200 and 230 volts for another country maybe?

I'll try to find that online manual for JH... siries later on, be a good rainy day search. You've been great help thanks :thumbsup:

/ Miller Dialarc #40  
Here's a Dialarc set for 230 voltView attachment 513085

Hey I like that color picture, glad you said it was for 230 volts cause mine isn't like that, thanks a bunch :thumbsup:
Now that I have the side panel off, good time to do some cleaning, a little dusty inside.