Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,371  
OK. I think I know why the thumbnails were upside down. They were taken with a smart phone. Apparently, when you take a picture, orientation information is stored with the picture in metadata. That metadata information is usually used by applications to determine how to display the picture right side up. However, some applications are not new/smart enough to do that. So, the orientation of the phone becomes important when a picture is taken. From what I gather, when Apple invented the IPhone, Apple decided that the phone should be oriented with the logo (top) of the camera up for portrait mode and to the left for landscape mode. However, many people like to hold the phone in landscape mode with the volume buttons on the top so they can use them to snap the picture just like an 'old fashioned' camera. But that puts the top of the phone to the right and stores the image upside down. Apparently, the web software that displays the thumbnails in the thread are not smart enough to look at the metadata to determine the correct orientation and so they display upside down. But the web software that enlarges the image when the thumbnail is clicked is smart so the enlarged image is displayed correctly. Not what I expected....

Here are the pictures corrected by flipping both horizontally and vertically.

View attachment 517207View attachment 517208

That is the best explanation I have ever heard for this.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,372  
Even windows 7 isn't smart enough, but windows 10 is.....

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,373  
   / Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,374  
if the block is attached to the pulled object it doubles the pull. if it is used to redirect the pull (around a corner) the pull is not doubled

Sounds right...:confused3:
What 'law' or whatever governs that? Physics?

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,376  
I mounted the rock plate on my Sundown GR40 today and tried it out. Unfortunately, I need longer bolts to try the grapple with both the rock plate and extensions. After using the GR40 on some decent sized rocks, I think having both might help pry some of the bigger rocks up.

Here's a picture of the rock plate mounted.

Sundown Rockplate.jpg

There was discussion earlier in the thread concerning whether the thumb would hit the rock plate or not. Notice in the picture that it does contact the rock plate about one inch from the leading edge. I guess this makes sense because then the force of the thumb would be opposite the plate for maximum applied pressure. I am assuming that the thumb on a Frostbite would probably also contact a rock plate due to the similarities between the two grapples.

Here's some pictures of rocks I plucked from the ground this afternoon.

Rock 2.jpgRock 3.jpgRock 4 Sharpened.jpgRock 5.jpgRock 6.jpgRock 7.jpgRock 7 View 2.jpg

Notice that at least some of the rocks might have been impossible to pick up with the grapple without the rock plate. Then again, I probably could have picked them up manually like I have been for years. But my back is getting old. And, besides, what fun is that?

Last edited:
   / Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,377  
I mounted the rock plate on my Sundown GR40 today and tried it out. Unfortunately, I need longer bolts to try the grapple with both the rock plate and extensions. After using the GR40 on some decent sized rocks, I think having both might help pry some of the bigger rocks up.

Here's a picture of the rock plate mounted.

View attachment 517305

There was discussion earlier in the thread concerning whether the thumb would hit the rock plate or not. Notice in the picture that it does contact the rock plate about one inch from the leading edge. I guess this makes sense because then the force of the thumb would be opposite the plate for maximum applied pressure. I am assuming that the thumb on a Frostbite would probably also contact a rock plate due to the similarities between the two grapples.

Here's some pictures of rocks I plucked from the ground this afternoon.

View attachment 517306View attachment 517307View attachment 517338View attachment 517309View attachment 517310View attachment 517311View attachment 517312

Notice that at least some of the rocks might have been impossible to pick up with the grapple without the rock plate. Then again, I probably could have picked them up manually like I have been for years. But my back is getting old. And, besides, what fun is that?

Good pics!
Where did you buy your rock plate, and if you don't mind, what did it run you?

Thanks,

CM

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,378  
I have lots of rocks here in Maine so there will likely be more pictures over time, at least of the bigger rocks.

I had to call around for the rock plate. Nobody seemed to have one and my regular tractor supplier said it would take a considerable amount of time to get one in from JS Woodhouse, the distributor. Apparently they come by slow boat from Norway(?) but are made in Lithuania(?). But I didn't want to wait so I found a rock plate at Big Boy's Toys LLC in Pomfret Center, Connecticut. At the time, they said they had two and I bought one, so maybe they have one left. I paid $55 for the plate and shipping to Maine was almost $23 due to the weight of the plate.

From conversations in this thread, i think the plate might also fit a Frostbite and an Igland GR20 but I can't say for sure. Gordon Gould was able to use Sundown extensions on his Frostbite (with minor grinding) so the holes match up on each finger, but I haven't seen any mention of the distance between the fingers.

Here's the dimension I think you need to decide if the rock plate would fit your Igland GR20. Measurements are to the center of holes.

Bolts are 5/8" and different lengths depending upon the attachments in use. (extensions and plate)
The holes in each finger are 2.75" apart
Distance between holes in the two fingers: 24.5"

Last edited:
   / Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,380  
WP_20170731_17_32_38_Pro.JPG

No action photos yet but I ran it last night for about 3 hours. Landpride SGC 0554. I like it better than the SGC0548 that it replaced so far.