Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,381  
Need to move this twig. I feel my front axles crying in pain doing this kind of thing.

IMG_20170803_101126092-4008x2255.jpg

IMG_20170803_101158855-4008x2255.jpg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,383  
if the block is attached to the pulled object it doubles the pull. if it is used to redirect the pull (around a corner) the pull is not doubled

You described that much more succinctly than my attempt.

routing the winch cable through the snatchblock and returning the hook end to the actual winch backblade area or in same plane, to a nearby tree, etc. to use 100' of cable doubled back for effective length of 50' from load point, but is that the only way one accomplishes doubling the pull force/strength?

Yes, that is the only way to double the pull. The doubling happens because you are pulling 2 feet of rope for every one foot you move the log. It's sort of the same concept as using a big breaker bar on a stubborn nut: you have to move the end of the long bar a lot more inches to get the same degree of rotation than you would if you vere just using a 12" wrench - but you get mre leverage with the long bar.

If you are just redirecting through a snatch block, you don't gain any pulling power.

BTW, it sounds as though you are using a block which needs to be manually released. If you use a block to redirect fairly regularly, it's worth looking in to a self-releasing snatch block. The cable pops out of the block as the choker hits it, so you don;t have to walk back and manually release it. It's a big time-saver when you need to have a dogleg in your pull. I sometimes even use it on a straight pull: I'll set up the self-releasing block just across the trail from where my logs are coming out, then spot the tractor down the trail a bit. When I pull the logs out across the trail, the block releases, and the logs are pulled toward the tractor, so they lay along side of and parallel to the trail. If I don't pile so many up that they block the trail, I can still drive by them or right up next to them for loading.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,384  
Here's some pictures of rocks I plucked from the ground this afternoon.

Looks like you are having fun plucking rocks :thumbsup:

What do you do with them ??

gg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,386  
Looks like you are having fun plucking rocks :thumbsup:

What do you do with them ??

gg

I have rocks in our fields that I have worked around for years so I am pulling them up and putting them on existing stone walls. I am also planning to pull some rocks from our trails and those will probably just be placed to the side of the trail.

Either way, I need to get some fill to take the place of the rocks I removed from the ground.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,387  
I have rocks in our fields that I have worked around for years so I am pulling them up and putting them on existing stone walls. I am also planning to pull some rocks from our trails and those will probably just be placed to the side of the trail.

Either way, I need to get some fill to take the place of the rocks I removed from the ground.

From experience, that starts out as a reasonable project, and turns into a much bigger project.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,388  
From experience, that starts out as a reasonable project, and turns into a much bigger project.

Sounds like good advice that is already proving to be true as evidenced by the fact that I need to get fill for the resulting holes!

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,389  
Thanks to all who chimed in on the doubling the pull questions. I guess old dogs CAN learn new tricks! Who knew?!
OR, this was a test any you all passed on the who knows the answer scale!:thumbsup:
I believe Windy Knoll sells the NO teeth version of the rock plate for around $50, with no S/H to my local store;and IIRC, it fits both Gr-20 Igland AND Frostbite, according to the owner at Windy Knoll.

On the snatchblock self releasing unit- I would'a got that one had I known it existed.:confused3: I've seen it used on youtube and it seems really a good idea, but I don't need it badly enough to have it and my existing one...

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,390  
So before y'all go spend money on the "rock bar" for your Igland/clone grapple give a chain a try...

I will use the grapple for grubbing granite rocks and placing them for walls. I bought this grapple to complement my 6ft/900lbs root rake grapple. I need to be able to grub in the ground and pick up very large to basketball-sized rocks. I was going to make a "rock bar" similar to the manufacturers but thought I'd try chain first with stuff I had laying around (except fro some $1.50 carabiener (sp?) type things.

I am pretty floored how well it works with no practice. Essentially all of these pics were "blind" first-attempt grabs. The front chain works so well that I'm not sure the "basket" I created is really necessary (the basket does prevent the jaws from 'scissoring" completely closed). I thought the chain would twist allowing rocks to flip out when the jaw closed but this just didn't happen. This was just a 20min attempt. I'm going to remove the basket part and see how often rocks fall through the bottom jaw.

IMG_20170805_091350055.jpg

IMG_20170805_091330165.jpg

IMG_20170805_093631963.jpg

IMG_20170805_093102938.jpg

IMG_20170805_092727677.jpg

IMG_20170805_092440762.jpg

IMG_20170805_092339973.jpg

IMG_20170805_091943337_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170805_091822113_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170805_093838328.jpg