Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #541  
US 127 north out of Chattanooga has some beautiful scenery, plenty of twistys, both horizontal AND vertical, and is WAY less busy than the Dragon.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #542  
I've been on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a couple of days now. Wonderful road and gorgeous scenery. Saturday out of Cherokee and around Asheville was a bit crowded but then the road opened up. Today I left Blowing Rock after lunch with friends and had almost no traffic all the way to Roanoke. Tomorrow I'll finish BRP and then drive the Skyline Drive towards Harpers Ferry.

I skipped Tail of the Dragon after talking to some experienced bikers who said is was kind of a squid run and crowded even on a Friday afternoon. No regrets. BRP has plenty of twisties and you can enjoy the scenery at the same time.

BRP should be on every riders bucket list. I'd also do it in a Mustang GT convertible!! The northern half is my favorite (southern half is all mountains and forest, northern half has the same but adds more open rolling hills with farm land too) but the whole thing is very worthwhile. Try to do it on a weekday though. Lots of sightseeing families on drives at least on Saturday this time of year. IMG_0312.JPGIMG_0316.JPGIMG_0815.JPGIMG_0345.JPGIMG_0350.JPG

/ Who rides motorcycles? #543  
It's all good. As long as you are enjoying yourself and keeping the rubber side down. Glad you are having fun. That's what it's all about.
I'm leaving tomorrow for the Smokys.. :cool2:

/ Who rides motorcycles? #544  
I've been on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a couple of days now. Wonderful road and gorgeous scenery. Saturday out of Cherokee and around Asheville was a bit crowded but then the road opened up. Today I left Blowing Rock after lunch with friends and had almost no traffic all the way to Roanoke. Tomorrow I'll finish BRP and then drive the Skyline Drive towards Harpers Ferry.

I skipped Tail of the Dragon after talking to some experienced bikers who said is was kind of a squid run and crowded even on a Friday afternoon. No regrets. BRP has plenty of twisties and you can enjoy the scenery at the same time.

BRP should be on every riders bucket list. I'd also do it in a Mustang GT convertible!! The northern half is my favorite (southern half is all mountains and forest, northern half has the same but adds more open rolling hills with farm land too) but the whole thing is very worthwhile. Try to do it on a weekday though. Lots of sightseeing families on drives at least on Saturday this time of year. View attachment 523356View attachment 523357View attachment 523358View attachment 523359View attachment 523360

I can recommend the Cherahola Skyway in that area, and the roads around Wolfpen Gap are pretty nice. I usually only ride the Dragon for the photo op, and I've always seen sparkies on the photo that get taken. I tend to scrape a lot of parts on the Gap, The ST is a perfect bike for me on the twisties.... After my last run I discovered scrape mark on the belly pan. On my ST1100 I actually scraped both mufflers!!
If you are a moto-camper, try Hunt's Lodge in Tellico Plains, on the other side of the Cherahola from the Dragon. Great people, catering to mainly motorcyclists. Camping, some small cabins, hot showers......look 'em up...
Hunt's Lodge Motorcycle Campground - Home

Last edited:
   / Who rides motorcycles? #545  
Looks fantastic, IT. I have east coast friends who all tell me if you're going to ride out that way, the BRP is a must do. Color me jealous.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #546  
Just caught up with this thread;

IT, sounds like you are having a great ride and scenery. Keep the rubber side down and have fun.:thumbsup:

I tried to go for a ride the other day and found my battery was dead. Working days this week so maybe friday I can get a new battery put in. I hate to get a new battery in October but if I don't I miss all the fall colors. Utah has some great mountain rides this time of year.

Last edited:
   / Who rides motorcycles? #547  
Looks fantastic, IT. I have east coast friends who all tell me if you're going to ride out that way, the BRP is a must do. Color me jealous.

Yep. 770 miles (if you include the Skyline Drive which is the same road north of Charlottesville VA) from Cherokee NC to Front Royal in VA with spectacular views, great twisties, and zero commercial vehicles, stop lights, stop signs or commuters. I just finished it today going south to north. Saw one cop in three days. Well worth it. IMG_0360.JPGIMG_0366.JPGIMG_0374.JPGIMG_0816.JPG

/ Who rides motorcycles? #548  
Just caught up with this thread;

IT, sounds like you are having a great ride and scenery. Keep the rubber side down and have fun.:thumbsup:

I tried to go for a ride the other day and found my battery was dead. Working days this week so maybe friday I can get a new battery put in. I hate to get a new battery in October but if I don't I miss all the fall colors. Utah has some great mountain rides this time of year.

Trickle charger!

/ Who rides motorcycles? #549  
Good timing...In 2-3 weeks the traffic will be nuts with leaf lookers...best to know alternative routes in leaf season...

/ Who rides motorcycles? #550  
Good timing...In 2-3 weeks the traffic will be nuts with leaf lookers...best to know alternative routes in leaf season...

My riding group has our "Leaf Peep" in the mountains the next couple of weeks. Not much actual leaf peeping takes place..........:cool: I, unfortunately, will be unable to attend, but I'm sure they will talk about me around the campfire. Beer will be drunk, food will be eaten, and with luck no one will run afoul of the Imperial Stormtroopers(There are a few of us that will occasionally push traffic laws to the, ahem, limits....)
A good time is always had by all. Sorry I'm not going.