Moving shipping containers

/ Moving shipping containers #11  
I used to repair containers, move them with a stacker/packer and pick up and deliver with a 48' Landoll and KW Semi.
Used to own a 20'er and now a 45'.
I had my 45'er grounded and then later needed to move it so I could put up a 40' X 60' red iron building.
I hooked my 3 pt onto one pocket at a time with my 3510 Branson and lifted it, sort of and dragged it.
It wasn't easy but I got it done.
20'ers are in the 5000 lb range and 40-45-48'ers are in the 10,000 lb range.
You can jack them at all 4 corners under the pockets to level and square up the doors to work properly.
Second pic you can see how far I moved it and turned it 90*.

Attachments

• DSCN0665.JPG
    DSCN0665.JPG
    723.6 KB · Views: 350
  • DSCN0666.JPG
    DSCN0666.JPG
    697.9 KB · Views: 253
   / Moving shipping containers #12  
DSC02534.JPG

Each of my loaders can lift one end of this forty footer, but we basically just dragged it 500 feet to it's new location. They are quite robust. The excavator surprisingly couldn't lift it, but I think he had cylinder seal issues.

Pushing it in among trees was a harder, slower process.

/ Moving shipping containers
Thanks guys. As others have alluded to I don't think they can back into where I want it. It involves some turns that would be difficult.

I think I will just have them drop it here and then try moving it with my equipment and if it doesn't work call my buddy with the cranes.

/ Moving shipping containers #14  
I’ve moved a semi trailer out of a hole with locked up axels about a hundred yards. I picked up the front and set it on my rollback and picked up the back and we drove it about a hundred yards. It’s all my SVL-95-2 will do to lift one end of a semi trailer. You’ll never do it with an average tractor. I don’t think dragging it with a dozer will be a problem.

/ Moving shipping containers #15  
   / Moving shipping containers #16  
Last weekend, my Case 350 dozer pushed the 20 container around, on uneven ground like it was nothing. I moved it a half mile with the Ford 4500 BH. The BH didn稚 like it at all but I had it moved in 2hrs.

/ Moving shipping containers #17  
Last weekend, my Case 350 dozer pushed the 20 container around, on uneven ground like it was nothing. I moved it a half mile with the Ford 4500 BH. The BH didn稚 like it at all but I had it moved in 2hrs.

20's are a piece of cake, 40's are a whole different animal just due to the weight of them.

/ Moving shipping containers
Thanks guys. I don't think I will have a problem dragging it. If the dozer alone won't do it I also have another rubber tracked crawler with 100hp that weighs 20k and I could hook them both to it. My main concern was if dragging it would damage the container. Looking at the videos bcp posted I don't think it will.

/ Moving shipping containers #19  
With those resources, it will be FUN!

You might want to make sure your doors are tightly closed, but even that probably won't matter if you attach down low.

/ Moving shipping containers #20  
Would putting the back on a 2x10x8, cupped side up, help make it easier to skid across the ground? Or would it just pull right off the board? In my mind, it seems that would help - lift front a little, drag on back corners with board to make it want to ride over the ground vs cutting as it goes.