Akita Pool

/ Akita Pool
Thinset arrived yesterday, so I might start tiling next weekend. If not, the following weekend for sure. My metal is also in for the porch roof. I might pick that up this afternoon if I get done with the job I'm on in time, or I'll go tomorrow morning to get it. We are having a birthday party for Karen's youngest grandson. He just turned 2. He loves to play on the steps in the pool!!!

This will be the last time it's used until the tile is done. My supplier told me that the biggest reason for failure on swimming pool tile is from filling the pool too soon. The thinset needs at least two weeks to cure, with a month being better. I plan on doing a custom mosaic on the back wall, so that's going to take a lot of time, along with working on the porch, so it might be winter before I'm ready to fill it again.

Here are a few pics from last night. My wife and I really enjoy sitting out there under the ceiling fans, and listening to the water fall into the pool. Then when it gets dark, the view of the pool all lit up, along with the tiki torches, is just very relaxing.

IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

/ Akita Pool #212  
Just another very cool project, Eddie!!! Do you know what your mosaic will be?

/ Akita Pool
Yes. It's an Akita that I will create out of cut stones.

/ Akita Pool #214  
I love the Akita pool. Is it just for the dogs, or do you and Karen use it too? We have a 6' round by 2' high galvanized water trough with a filter and chlorine tabs that we use as a soaking pool. We really enjoy sitting in it in the evenings after a long day, or jump in it after working in the yard. It's just right for cooling off.

With our new patio, I'm going to make a water feature using a 8' round x 2' tall (4 person) galvanized water trough that will double as a soaking pool. It'll have lights inside and I'll insulate it and clad it with cedar to match some of the patio cedar trim. I haven't decided on the water feature, but I'm leaning towards one of the old cast iron well pumps running water out the spout. I'm also looking to tie it in with a solar pool heater. My roof is facing south and would work perfectly for mounting one.

/ Akita Pool #215  
I love the Akita pool. Is it just for the dogs, or do you and Karen use it too? We have a 6' round by 2' high galvanized water trough with a filter and chlorine tabs that we use as a soaking pool. We really enjoy sitting in it in the evenings after a long day, or jump in it after working in the yard. It's just right for cooling off.

With our new patio, I'm going to make a water feature using a 8' round x 2' tall (4 person) galvanized water trough that will double as a soaking pool. It'll have lights inside and I'll insulate it and clad it with cedar to match some of the patio cedar trim. I haven't decided on the water feature, but I'm leaning towards one of the old cast iron well pumps running water out the spout. I'm also looking to tie it in with a solar pool heater. My roof is facing south and would work perfectly for mounting one.

Be careful with chlorine tabs and galvanized sheet metal.

/ Akita Pool #216  
The ceiling will be tongue and groove. On top of the OSB decking is 30lb roofing paper, and on top of that will be the R panels. Insulation crossed my mind, but I didn't think it would accomplish anything out on a porch. Should I rethink that?
How will you finish the T&G?

/ Akita Pool #217  
Be careful with chlorine tabs and galvanized sheet metal.

We haven't had an issue with our existing one, although it was already oxidized if that makes a difference. What's the concern? The next tank we plan to coat the inside with a paint used for swimming pools or potable water tanks, so that should make it a non-issue anyway, I hope.

/ Akita Pool
How will you finish the T&G?

My wife has a stain color that she likes. I forget what it is right now, but will post when we get to that point. I'm debating if I want to do anything else to it or not. I'm not a fan of a shiny, glossy look. I've thought about oil, but haven't really compared what's out there. I have a few different brands on my shelf, so I'll read the labels and see which is best, and then do a test to see if we like the results. Or maybe a sealer that doesn't have much of a sheen designed for the outdoors.

I'm going to build the cabinets too, and will probably stain them darker then the ceiling, and probably put a couple coats of sealer on them to protect them, so maybe the ceiling will get the same treatment.

/ Akita Pool
I love the Akita pool. Is it just for the dogs, or do you and Karen use it too?

39993736_2034493456574285_1081556070318473216_n.jpg

This was last night. We are having a birthday party today and expect to have about 20 people here. Half will be in the pool. Where it begins at the porch is all stairs, so it's a great spot or the little kids to splash around, or for adults to sit and relax. We call it the Akita Pool because of the mosaic that I am going to create on the back wall. A full sized Akita with traits of all four of ours that will be done in cut stones. Half of the year, the pool will be empty, and we wanted something attractive to see other then just a square hole in the ground, so I'm going all out on the tile job. In my mind, it's really gonna be something. Hopefully I can create what I'm imagining.

Akita's are not water dogs. They will get their feet wet, but that's about it.

One of the nice surprises that we've discovered is that the skimmer works great at catching pine needles. A real concern that we had was constantly cleaning them out of the pool. But with the three jets set at each corner, the water circulates so that anything floating on the water ends up getting sucked into the skimmer. The basket in the skimmer catches all the debris, and it's super easy to take out and dump.

The water feature was a spur of the moment idea that we really like. Originally I was planning on buying a couple of spitters and putting one at each corner. I ran electrical to turn them on from the house that we might use for something else. I put in a 3/4 drain line to drain my pipes for winter, and then added a T with a valve to run water up to the blue ceramic pot. Then in the koi pond section at Lowes, I found this water fall thing that fit nicely into the pot with a piece of PVC cut to support it. We really like the way it's turned out.

/ Akita Pool #220  
My wife has a stain color that she likes. I forget what it is right now, but will post when we get to that point. I'm debating if I want to do anything else to it or not. I'm not a fan of a shiny, glossy look. I've thought about oil, but haven't really compared what's out there. I have a few different brands on my shelf, so I'll read the labels and see which is best, and then do a test to see if we like the results. Or maybe a sealer that doesn't have much of a sheen designed for the outdoors.

I'm going to build the cabinets too, and will probably stain them darker then the ceiling, and probably put a couple coats of sealer on them to protect them, so maybe the ceiling will get the same treatment.
Thanks, when i built my house i put 1/4" plywood for my porch ceiling, painted. Always meant to go back and redo with something else, and add a couple ceiling fans.1535206538937.jpeg
This is side porch, porch turns and goes 42' down the front.