pto backup generator

/ pto backup generator #42  
I have a 12KW Baumalight trailer mount generator I've been using for 10 years now. For weather protection, I leave the generator in the barn with the tractor outside and close the overhead door so it just clears the driveshaft. Although the trailer mount takes up a bit more floor space, I find it quicker and easier to hook up than a 3pt mount.

/ pto backup generator #43  
I used to have a 8kw gas portable but getting up in the middle of the night to fuel it was a pain. Looked at the pto he set but finally settled on a Koehler 12kw fueled by propane. Our fuel supplier got tired of servicing the pigs and made me a deal. If I would dig a hole they would give me a 500 gallon tank. Works great and supplies my shop heater, space heater in my inlaw apt, stove in main house, and the generator. As noted in a previous note having your own well is great but you need a constant supply of power to get any water.

/ pto backup generator #44  
15000 watts divided by 746 watts per Horsepower is around 20 HP at the pto to run the gen set, would this be correct? Or do you need a little more for spikes in load? Just wondering what the rating are on those as the little tractor I have only has 21 or 22 pto HP if I remember correctly.

/ pto backup generator #45  
15000 watts divided by 746 watts per Horsepower is around 20 HP at the pto to run the gen set, would this be correct? Or do you need a little more for spikes in load? Just wondering what the rating are on those as the little tractor I have only has 21 or 22 pto HP if I remember correctly.

Your math assumes 100% efficiency which no generator is capable of producing. Allowing for losses, 21 pto hp is adequate for a 12 kw generator at 100% load. Of course you can use a larger generator but 21 hp will not allow 100% output. If you put too much load on an under powered generator, you run the risk of voltage drop which can damage electrical equipment.

/ pto backup generator #46  
I heard you should figure 2hp per kw....is that still a good figure?

/ pto backup generator #47  
I'd be concerned about getting a consistent 60Hz cycle out of a pto generator powering circuits in a house due to varying load, since the tractor throttle isn't governed.

/ pto backup generator #48  
I'd be concerned about getting a consistent 60Hz cycle out of a pto generator powering circuits in a house due to varying load, since the tractor throttle isn't governed.
A tractors throttle IS governed! Set the throttle under an average load and the tractors governor takes care of the spikes...

2hp per 1,000 watts will keep everything cool and allows for a long service life...

SR

Last edited:
   / pto backup generator #49  
Tractors have been governed since the steam powered tractors.

Here is one powering a saw mill. Hear it pull hard when it starts cutting wood.
Steam Powered Sawmill - YouTube

Last edited:
   / pto backup generator #50  
A tractors throttle IS governed! Set the throttle under an average load and the tractors governor takes care of the spikes...

2hp per 1,000 watts will keep everything cool and allows for a long service life...

SR

Good to know!