pto backup generator

/ pto backup generator #21  
I have had my 25KW pto unit for over 20 years, it sits on it's trailer chassis parked next to the house with a piece of ag bag plastic on it for weather protection.
Back up to it hook up the pto plug in and go, I have the economy pto on one tractor and have used an adapter and a 1000 rpm pto at half throttle.
It is whole house quite easily.

/ pto backup generator #22  
Not saying it would not work on a larger tractor.

BUT, I do have a JD 2:1 splined shaft gearbox and tried running my Onan 15KW PTO set on my JD 770 (Maybe 21 HP PTO HP or is that Engine HP). Big disappointment. It would barely turn the Genset at Rated Speed with no load. I never did try that on our 6200. I'm not running a 100K tractor to make a few hundred watts of power, in the summer, at night.

Funny: I often run my 50 kW WinPower of od my JD F-935 (~21 hp) without any problems. Sure, I'm never using all 50 kw because of the 3 cyl diesel power output. I run the 2100 rpm pto thru a 3.x :1 reducer to get 540 at the alternator. (Yes it runs the reverse direction but who cares (Santa Clause, the IRS, Howdy Doody, Hillary Election Campaign, ...)

This setup allows me to use my farm CUT to do other more important things after a storm (like fetching brews from the closed party store, getting the mail, clearing the pond for a hockey game, PIC00017.JPGwalking the dogs and of course running over the mole tunnels).

/ pto backup generator #23  
Funny: I often run my 50 kW WinPower of od my JD F-935 (~21 hp) without any problems. Sure, I'm never using all 50 kw because of the 3 cyl diesel power output. I run the 2100 rpm pto thru a 3.x :1 reducer to get 540 at the alternator. (Yes it runs the reverse direction but who cares (Santa Clause, the IRS, Howdy Doody, Hillary Election Campaign, ...)

This setup allows me to use my farm CUT to do other more important things after a storm (like fetching brews from the closed party store, getting the mail, clearing the pond for a hockey game, View attachment 566171walking the dogs and of course running over the mole tunnels).

746 watts per hp at 100% efficiency. That's it. At 90% efficiency 21 PTO HP - 746 X 21 X .9 = 14.1 kW possibly some more for very short surge due to inertial storage of rotor.

Personally I have a 13 kW PTO gen still sitting on it's crate. In 10 years total outage time less than 2 hours. If I run it, it will be on Deere X748 24HP Yanmar, Same engine that runs refer trailers 24/7

Andy

/ pto backup generator #24  
But you are running at rated speed. Not trying to run the genny at half throttle.

1:1 it worked GREAT. I once tried (with the Onan 15K PTO) to kill it, turning on all baseboard heat and all stove elements and I was impressed enough to call the experiment quits.

What RPM do reefer Diesels run?

/ pto backup generator #26  
I have the 15KW from Rural King. It worked great for a 5-day power outage we had last October. It only cost me $999 plus shipping, and I got a 12% rebate which I put towards a new chainsaw.

I estimate it took about 1 gallon/hour of diesel to run it. I ran it about 5 hours a day when we needed whole-house power to take showers, cook meals, etc. To power the fridge around the clock, I used a small inverter generator at night and a RV solar collector during the day while I was away at work.

I keep my old 5KW gas generator as backup if the tractor needs to be used for other tasks. The 5KW runs my most basic needs: well pump, oil burning boiler, etc.

/ pto backup generator #27  
<snip>
Personally I have a 13 kW PTO gen still sitting on it's crate. In 10 years total outage time less than 2 hours. If I run it, it will be on Deere X748 24HP Yanmar, Same engine that runs refer trailers 24/7

Andy

That's like my $600 12 KW Winco. Sitting in the shed, only ran a few times since bought in 2012.
Face it - for most of us generators are like spare tires - you only use it in emergencies, you hope to never HAVE to use it, you check it once and a while.

When I bought mine I anticipated also using it for remote power more and didn't foresee the vast improvement in battery powered tools which eliminate the need for carrying a generator.

/edit - interesting fact - I was looking up my 12KW manual and they also have a manual there for the tumbling bar. First time I heard of calling a PTO shaft a tumbling bar,

Last edited:
   / pto backup generator #28  
I looked into pto generators a few years ago, even bought my last tractor with enough pto hp to run a 15kw generator. Haven稚 pulled the tigger yet though.
Currently I run a Generac 7kw open frame unit powering one 200a panel on an interlock switch, so I have to pick and choose circuits. The generator sits close to the house and it is LOUD, plus I have to maintain 55 gallons of gas on hand.
I also would have no problem running my tractor 24/7, but in reality it would probably be shut down at night. My issue with a pto generator years ago was the wife setting it up if I was at work. Now retired, that痴 not a problem.
Now my debate is to just bite the bullet and get a whole house natural gas genset with auto transfer... I知 still all over the page!
I am running a 45KW Kohler standby generator.Powered by a 300 inline Ford engine powered by Lp.Would rather keep tractor freed up for other things.

/ pto backup generator #29  
I have a B26 so I probably wouldn't be able to run a PTO generator anyway. After living through, and being deployed to assist during, the 1998 Ice Storm I bought a Kubota G11000 diesel genset. It's installed in a separate garage and is wired into the main house using a buried cable. 11kw is enough to power my whole house except for baseboard heaters, oven and clothes dryer. I have two propane space heaters that will keep the house livable even when it gets down to -33c as it sometimes does where I live.

Living in the country during a power outage means no water and no sewage. The G11000 gives me enough power to run what I need to run.

Having seen what happens to generators that sit for months and are never started (they usually won't start!) I run mine for 20 minutes every month.

/ pto backup generator #30  
I have a B26 so I probably wouldn't be able to run a PTO generator anyway. After living through, and being deployed to assist during, the 1998 Ice Storm I bought a Kubota G11000 diesel genset. It's installed in a separate garage and is wired into the main house using a buried cable. 11kw is enough to power my whole house except for baseboard heaters, oven and clothes dryer. I have two propane space heaters that will keep the house livable even when it gets down to -33c as it sometimes does where I live.

Living in the country during a power outage means no water and no sewage. The G11000 gives me enough power to run what I need to run.

Having seen what happens to generators that sit for months and are never started (they usually won't start!) I run mine for 20 minutes every month.

Your B26 would run a 15kva pto generator just fine. Your G11000 is much quieter and convenient though.