pto backup generator

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I had one, an Onan 15 K PTO. Now I have several slow running Diesel standby units. Call it a hobby. They rarely get used.

I said it before. I don't like a tractor screaming away at full RPM with no protection for critical conditions. Plus, PTO units are a pain to get into service quickly. Would I take a PTO unit over some 3600RPM Screamer? Absofreakinglutely?

buickanddeere

Tractor
Deere, several
The tractor will carry 28Kw of electrical load. Better to purchase a generator "larger" that what is required. Too often someone has a 15 Kw generator with 10Kw of load on one line to neutral and they wonder why the generator gets hot and trips the breaker. A 30Kw generator is not too large for your tractor.

buickanddeere

Tractor
Deere, several
This is the reason I got a PTO unit. However, I've changed over to a stationary unit. The PTO generator I ended up with could not be used in inclement weather and it tied up the tractor for other things that needed to be done after the storm. We are now getting older and it is more difficult to hook up implements and I don't think my wife could handle it, which is the primary reason for the switch to a stationary unit. I now have a Generac 22KW unit with ATS. I lived in Florida when a hurricane came thru and we lost power for 9 days. I calculated the burn rate of the generator at full load for 9 days and got a propane tank for that. I can't see ever running it at full load during an outage like that, we can do without some things like the electric oven, etc. for awhile. Since you don't have reliable propane delivery (you can get large tanks - I have 1000 gal buried tank) I think you can get a diesel standby generator. The exercising on a regular basis is very important to the generators. The PTO one I had never got exercised as often as it should have and gave me lots of problems. This stationary machine just works and works with only occasional maintenance.

BTW, my PTO gen was not a Winco. I don't know much about Winco other than their reputation is very good.

Not allowed to bury propane tanks in some jurisdictions.

stoyan79

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700SU
Check the 4.5 ratio gearbox these guys sell.

PTO Gearbox

4.5 ratio means, your PTO has to spin only @ 400rpm to get needed 1,800rpm to generator, which translates to fuel savings and longer life for your tractor. Most PTO generators currently for sale require 540rpm @ PTO to get 1800rpm/60hz.

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360

PTO Gearbox

4.5 ratio means, your PTO has to spin only @ 400rpm to get needed 1,800rpm to generator, which translates to fuel savings and longer life for your tractor. Most PTO generators currently for sale require 540rpm @ PTO to get 1800rpm/60hz.

Looks like that gearbox would change the direction of rotation, if that matters.

Bruce

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
Not saying it would not work on a larger tractor.

BUT, I do have a JD 2:1 splined shaft gearbox and tried running my Onan 15KW PTO set on my JD 770 (Maybe 21 HP PTO HP or is that Engine HP). Big disappointment. It would barely turn the Genset at Rated Speed with no load. I never did try that on our 6200. I'm not running a 100K tractor to make a few hundred watts of power, in the summer, at night.

Sawyer Rob

Tractor
several brands

PTO Gearbox

Did you notice that it says they are for HIGH HORSE POWER tractors???

I have no need to run my pto genset on a high hp tractor in the first place, when a smaller tractor is more efficient, even though it's spinning faster.

You are not running the tractor "wide open" as some have said, you are running it at PTO speed and it's designed to run at pto speed.

SR

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
My 770 ran the set at 540 wide open, pull back that throttle all the way, end of story. What ever little there was left on the tach between 540 and full rpm must have been taken up by load.

It was a Yanmar and I don't like speaking bad of them, but it does seem like just another case of equipment that is designed just enough, no extra capacity or margin.

Jcoon

Silver Member
Tractor
NH workmaster 35
I have a 25kw Dayton pto genset I run off my new holland, bought it used, best 1500 I ever spent, can run the whole house without a issue, takes less than 5 minutes to setup.