Wire Fence unroller, does it exist?

/ Wire Fence unroller, does it exist? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
My projects around the land revolve on what my wife feels needs to get done first. Recently coyotes have become super aggressive at killing our chickens and she has decided that it's time to start fencing in more of the land.

I've been looking for a dolly type fence unroller that I can pull by hand that will allow the 4 foot horse fence to unroll as I go. I've found one made my Tarter that goes on the back of a tractor, but I don't want that. The closest that I've been able to find is this trailer dolly.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200695290_200695290

I thought about modifying it so I can put a roll of horse fence over a post and pull it, but was hoping for something out there that is already built to do this. Unfortunately, I've failed at finding what I'm wanting by searching online. Does it exist?

If it doesn't exist, I might make one, but I would prefer to buy it if it's reasonably priced.

/ Wire Fence unroller, does it exist? #2  
Probably wayyyyy expensive, but so you'll know..... Fence Fast LTD

/ Wire Fence unroller, does it exist? #6  
A 200' roll of 2x4 horse fence is 236 pounds according to the Kencove website. Those rolls are a pain to move around, and when they're on end they're very tippy. I don't see how you could put one on a cart and not have it tip over without a couple hundred pounds of ballast in the base. That sounds like a lot to pull around by hand.

I have the Tarter one. It's not quite exactly the way I would have done it but it works reasonably well. It's usefulness is in moving those **** rolls around as much as unrolling them. If I can't use the unroller I use the FEL to put the roll where I need it then unroll on the ground.

/ Wire Fence unroller, does it exist? #7  
Make one using this pattern, but lighter, and with a pulling handle instead of a 3pt hitch.

A wide, U-shaped frame, axle, and handle.

Fence Unroller Build (Part 3 of 3) - YouTube

fence-wire-unroller.jpg

Like this, but wider.

418d.jpg unroller.jpg

Bruce

/ Wire Fence unroller, does it exist? #8  
I'd be wondering about pulling that weight and keeping the fence roll tight enough. Do you have anything else to pull a small trailer with? LT, GT, ATV, etc.? If so, you might be able to adapt a small, low trailer like a two wheel car towing dolly.

/ Wire Fence unroller, does it exist? #9  
I bolted a piece of 2" water pipe onto the sidewall of my loader bucket to serve this purpose. I use an old traffic sign with a hole in it for a base to let the wire roll unravel freely. To load the wire roll, just curl the bucket forward and stab it in. Once the posts are in, I anchor one end and just keep traveling ! I have found it more convenient to back away from the fixed end rather than go forward.

When done, unbolt the pipe and finish the stapling. I tried using the tractor to tighten the wire once: not recommended. The corner post broke and the wire + broken post came flying towards me. A conventional ratchet stretcher is all you really need. This method works nice for barbed wire, too. It's a lot friendlier on my leather gloves.

/ Wire Fence unroller, does it exist? #10  
If you look at the Tarter unroller, the bottom is only about 1/8" thick so the bottom of the roll sits basically on the ground. This means you don't have to lift that 200+ pound roll onto the unroller, you roll it over and stand it up. It also means you can fasten the fence to the post with the unroller close to the post. If the unroller is off the ground you have to get some slack in the fence in order to get the bottom fastened to the post snug against the ground. If the unroller is horizontal it's even worse, you have to have enough slack to take the fence through a 90-degree rotation. If you're trying to keep out coyotes you're going to want the fence snug against the ground at the bottom.

With a 3-point hitch it's easy to raise and lower it, so you can put it down on the ground to fasten one end, then lift it to drive to the other end, and then lower it while you tension and tie. I don't know how you get that functionality on a hand-drawn cart. Maybe a foot lever to raise and lower the roll?